Barium Enema (sp??)?????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Barium Enema (sp??)?????? Barium Enema (sp??)??????

Unread 10-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Barium Enema (sp??)??????

Well after fingers not only in my vagina, but up my bum as well, urin samples, blood, the most painful internal of my life, I need to go and have a barium enema (sp??). The surgeon said that my isues probably doesn't have to do with my bowels, but want's to make sure. He thinks it is adheasisions, and I need to "learn to live with it, and be a big girl now". I almost big girled him in the head . At least my gp listens to me so if I don't like what this guy says/does, I can go back to my gp and get a different referal.

Sorry if this is a harsh post, I'm just at my wits end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM

I think that the procedure he wants you to have is a lot less invasive than a colonoscopy but still capable of detecting some bowel problems. My husband had it a while back and said that the prep is a pain (they give you stuff to clean you out completely) but that the test is just an x-ray. It's not a detailed enough test if you have serious bowel issues but may be a useful screening tool. On another note, I think you need to ditch this doctor big time. Even if you do have adhesions, if they are painful or causing bowel problems then they may need to be dealt with or the pain managed. Because of his poor attitude, I question whether he will be investigative enough or do the testing you really need to arrive at a diagnosis. Just my un-humble opinion. Best wishes to you!
Unread 10-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Ha!

What glacier did your doc crawl out of? Geez! To me, that kind of sounds like he's out of ideas and is putting it on you. I'd definitely be looking for another doc! Wow!

As for the test, it isn't that bad. I had one a loooong time ago, although I'm sure things haven't changed much. Just a note, when they tell you to let them know when you start to feel full (of the contrast stuff), do it sooner than later 'cause they'll probably still give you a little more. Then you've literally got to haul *** to make it to the restroom.

Good luck with everything!
monami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2006, 09:20 PM

I talkd to dh tonight, and decided I'll stay with this surgeon (not very many around, here and I was first told 6 - 8 month wait). I will get the barium done, and if it doesn't show anything, I will insist that I get a lap, to see what's going on in there. If it is adheasions, and this guy doesn't want to do anything about it, I will insist that I see a difierent doc.
Unread 10-27-2006, 06:26 AM

Good Luck with the barium enema, I have had 2 and my sphincter muscle isn't the best, the first one wasn't that bad, but the next one was awful as they had come up with some kind of a balloon thing to plug me up and I felt like I had to go from the beginning and then they had me hold it to make sure they got the pictures correct ahhhhhhh. Hopefully you won't have such an unpleasant experience. Good Luck and Hugs.
Unread 10-28-2006, 06:56 AM

I have my appointment on November 8th. We are planning our bi-annual drive to Mexico with the kids on November 10th. Do you think I'm going to be able to do it? Can anyone tell me what to expect after?
Unread 10-28-2006, 07:18 AM

Personally, I don't remember any real problems after. I'd think by the 10th you should be fine. Ask the tech or whomever when you have the test done, or call them ahead of time if you'd like.

Have a great trip!!
monami
Unread 10-29-2006, 05:49 AM

Thanx, that makes me feel better, I will call them and ask.
Unread 10-29-2006, 08:53 AM

I think you will be fine on the 10th cabowoman. I have had the barium enema several times and had no problems afterwards.
Unread 11-06-2006, 05:11 PM

I must say that I'm not a big fan of the prep for this. I have had a pounding head since 10:30 this morning, and am freezing cold. I need a big grill cheese sandwhich or something.

I also was wondering, what if I'm not as in as much pain as I think. I'm 99.9999999999% sure I am in a lot of pain, as I live it everyday. But what if I just can't give up my pain from before surgery. I'm sure I can cause the two months that I have had that were pain free, I loved (as did my family). I was just wondering if anyone else felt like this?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register