Swollen Belly--Swelly Belly Band and Pillows | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swollen Belly--Swelly Belly Band and Pillows Swollen Belly--Swelly Belly Band and Pillows

Unread 10-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Swollen Belly--Swelly Belly Band and Pillows

I have been reading the board about bellies being swollen, which I figured would happen. My question about the belly band is how many of you used it? I saw a few people mention that they had problems with their bellies swelling 3 or more wks post-op. Did you find that the band help reduce the swelling later,will the band help prevent later swelling?
If I purchase the band, should I still purchase a pillow?

If so, what are/were your favorite pillows? I will be shopping at Walmart for one. I don't know where a Bed, Bath and Beyond is at.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2006, 09:49 PM

Swelly belly is quite common to some degree for most of us following surgery. The articles, Tummy - Swelly Belly Help and Tummy - Swollen? contain information about swelly belly and swelling following surgery.

Since I had a TVH, I didn't use the Swelly Belly Band, but I have read here that women who do use it, like it very much! You can read about the product and customer reviews here. You can also search in Hints for Swelly Belly Band and find other members who have used it.

As for pillows, if you are having a TAH or any type of hyst with external incisions, you will probably want to get some type of small pillow that you can hold against your belly when you cough, sneeze, laugh, and put between your belly and the seatbelt in the car. It doesn't have to be any special type of pillow. Many women use a small throw pillow or squesh pillow (the ones with the small soft beads inside). You can find a pillow at WalMart with no problems, I'm sure.

Best wishes with you upcoming surgery!

s, Deb
Unread 10-29-2006, 07:51 PM

I ended up getting two swelly bands... in different sizes. Sometimes I like being held together a little better! It still feels good after 3 months. As for pillows... the hospital gave me a a big fluffy red pillow like the ones they give to heart surgery patients to hold onto. It's fun to hug but too big to carry around. Months before surgery a friend gave me a smaller heart shaped pillow with removable insides that can be heated in the microwave. I used it without heat to cushion under seat belt and to hold while getting in and out of bed and chairs, etc. Now, the heat feels good at night because it doesn't get too hot and I'm usually asleep by the time it cools down.

Best Wishes!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm planning to use a 'too-large' back brace for the band. When I need cool - I'll use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel; for heat I'll use a Thermacare patch (probably the 'wrist wrap' size). Plans may change, but that's what I've decided as of now - two weeks to go.
Unread 10-30-2006, 09:59 AM

My hospital sent me home with a binder that helped immensely with walking and getting up and down. They gave it to me on my 3rd morning there but should have had it the night before when I walked for the first time. I don't use it now but am going away for the weekend and will take it with me just to be safe.

To the hospital I took

Robe
slippers
inhaler
msm-menthol cream(was my saving grace for the shoulder and back pain)
lotion for face
cream for legs
toothpaste
shampoo
pick for hair
hair scrunchy(stayed in all the time even in surgery LOL)
books
cell phone (had to go out of the unit into the main hallway to use and didn't find that out til 4th day in.
my own snuggly blanket
journal
stuffed elephant that a friend sent me for comfort and I slept with for the first two days.
cards to play games

Things the hospital provided.
gas x
stool softener
Deodorant
mouthwash
brush
hot packs for back(although didn't know about them til 4th day they also had cold ones)
fan(had one on at the foot of my bed from morining of day two

Things I should have taken and forgot
Calling card

Now for pillows. I have been on the couch since coming home as our bed doesn't have enough support it is a softer more comfy mattress and I need a firmer support. After the first few days I took one of my body pillows I got at walmart and put it on the couch and then the sheet and slept that way it made a world of difference for my back but I still had the firmness I needed.

I spent the night with a friend from out of town in a motel owned by a family friend Saturday night and fell in love with the pillows they had. I asked her where she got them and she said Kohl's. They are normally $20 each but were on sale yesterday for $7.99 each so of course I snagged up 2 of them. Wish I would have had them from the beginning. They are Home Classics Brand, Egyptian Cotton, Extra Firm Density, 300 thread count for side sleepers. They are wonderful. They are firm but yet your head sinks down just the right amount. I plan on getting a few more while they are still on sale.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register