ERT and dizziness? Going off Vivelle Dot to test? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ERT and dizziness? Going off Vivelle Dot to test? ERT and dizziness? Going off Vivelle Dot to test?

Unread 10-31-2006, 04:52 PM
ERT and dizziness? Going off Vivelle Dot to test?

My TAH was November of 2004 (removed ovaries) and I began ERT about March of 2005 due to insomnia, mild hot flashes and night sweats. For quite a while now I've been having some dizziness. Been to family doc, to Ear,Nose,Throat dr, opthalmologist, etc to rule things out. I try to only drive short distances now because of this.

This weekend I noticed that the pharmacy placed a warning sticker on my Vivelle Dot 0.1mg refill that says "May cause dizziness." This was the first I'd known of this.

My gync said the only way to rule this out is to go off the patch and that it takes about 2 weeks to get the medication out of your system.

Anyone else have dizziness issues? I also have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and don't know if that could be the cause (although ENT dr didn't think so).

What will I face if I end up never going back to ERT? Will I age faster without estrogen? SCARED TO CONTINUE IT AND SCARED TO DO WITHOUT IT!!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joyce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2006, 05:06 PM

I started the tinnitus five years ago and it doesn't matter what hormone I'm on or off I still have the ringing. And I have suffered with dizziness on and off for years. This past week I thought I would try the Vivelle dot (.5mg.) again and by the end of the day I felt somewhat dizzy and off balance. I attribute my dizziness to anxiety and the hormone problem. I keep a journal and still can't pinpoint what causes the dizziness. I hope you find a way out of it . Let me know if anything helps with your ringing.
Take care,
Trish M.
Unread 11-01-2006, 08:14 AM

I have had tinnitus since about 3 months after my surgery. That was the point when all my stored hormones were used up. I've tried everything, had all the tests, etc. I have found that my ears are the quietest when I am well rested and stay away from sugar. They are the worst when I am tired and/or anxious. I have gotten used to it and it hardly bothers me anymore. I have not had serious problems with dizziness.

I won't go without HRT. Frankly, since tinnitus is a symptom of menopause, I think it might be worse if I didn't take anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM

Dizziness and tinnitus are both well known side effects of estrogen. Some women are more prone to it than others.

Your estrogen isn't keeping you from aging, so don't worry about that. You might not feel great off it though. Only you can decide if the dizziness is worse than the hot flashes.
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:23 AM

I have seen an ENT since 1987. I have loads of ear trouble - and needed surgery to repair some damage in my left ear. I have had tinnitus 24/7/365 since 1987.

I have had dizziness since I had my surgery, but that was with and without ERT. I am currently on the Vivelle dot 0.1 mg and have no problem with my tinnitus being worse.

HOWEVER - the ERT might be causing you to have tinnitus. If it were me, I would try going off the ERT for the time that your dr suggested. If the tinnitus goes away - then you'll know for sure. There are loads of natural/herbal remedies to help with menopausal symptoms that don't cause tinnitus as a side effect.
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:00 PM
Ringing continues and disturbed sleep is back

Well it's now been about 25 days since I went off ERT and so far the tinnitus is the same - no change there. I have had a few minor hot flashes but the most noticable changes are at night. I wake up several times and I'm way too hot so I throw the covers off. Then I get cold and pull them up again and the cycle repeats over and over. While on ERT I was sleeping through the entire night, rarely waking up at all.

My sister-in-law is trying the natural hormones as written about by Suzanne Sommers in her book Aging. I know very little about this but will probably look into it.

Joyce
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:53 AM

Hi!

Vivelle Dot is a bio-identical estrogen so I am guessing you are interested in looking into compounded bio-identical hormones. The big difference is that that the compounds can be customized for your needs and can also be made with different delivery methods.

To learn more about compounding and to use a locator to find out if there is a compounding pharmacy near you, check out this link: www.iacprx.org. If you find a compounding pharmacy, someone on the staff should be able to give you a list of doctors who use their services if you are in need of a doctor more knowledgeable about prescribing hormones.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:22 AM

Joyce - are your dizzy spells gone? If so, then you know it was the Vivelle Dot.

I never read Suzanne Sommer's book, but I did try and had good results with Remefemin. It's OTC Black Cohosh herb that is taken twice daily. It relieved my hot flashes & night sweats.
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:01 PM

This may be totally off the wall, but are any of you who are experiencing tinitus taking asprin or ibuprofen on a regular (daily) basis. That was one of the first things we learned in our pharmacology nursing class was that it was a sign of too much of those in our system.
Like I said, I could be way off, but thought I'd offer.
Unread 11-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi

Sorry you are going thru this, being dizzy and off- balance is awful.

I was told that Vivelle was a bio identical Hrt, which is what Suzanne promotes. I use Bio-identical estrogen (bi-est) in cream form, and haven't had any problems with being dizzy, but my gut feeling is this may not be Hrt related. I am also one who believes strongly that you do age faster without any estrogen (Inside and out).

Good Luck, hope it resolves itself soon..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register