Vacuuming - am i the only one? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vacuuming - am i the only one? Vacuuming - am i the only one?

Unread 11-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Vacuuming - am i the only one?

Needless to say my dr. was pretty vague about post-op instructions. He said no baths, don't pick up anything "heavy", etc. My opinion of heavy isn't 10 lbs. but I did specifically ask about my 40 lb. son and he said no. But he said to follow my body's instructions. Now, the kicker, I asked about vacuuming and he said it was fine as long as I felt like it and I didn't move the furniture to do it. Now, I have seen numerous times you ladies saying no absolutely not.

I have been a full-time mom, housemaid and cook for the past three wks. and am feeling horrible, still taking some pain meds to make it through the days, still spotting daily, and worried that I may have done too much. Is it too late to "undo" anything that I may have done?

Also, do I need to look for a diff. dr.? Mine is a well known OB/GYN in this area it just seems really odd that he said ok to that, didn't mention stool softeners, MOM, "sleeping ovaries" or anything. Just "call if you soak through more than a pad an hour or have a temp of 100.4 or higher".

I am extremely greatful that I found you guys. I have been trying to slow down alot but it's hard when your dr. doesn't seem to think you need to. Maybe it's because he's a man. LOL

PS - TVH & LSO on 10/4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2006, 12:12 PM

My dr. told me not to do anything but rest and slow short walks for the first 2 wks.
He told my husband I was going to be out of commision for a while.

I had mine oct. 27. Took everything out. So I am waiting for the surgical menopause to kick in. I am 46. He thought it would hit with in a couple of days. So far the only thing I can say is on Monday a little dizziness and headaches. And a very few short hot flashes. Hoping thats all there is.

Best of luck to you.

I would not do any more cleaning. You deserve a break. My house is getting dirty fast due to a large dog. But I don't care. If anyone else does I will show them where the broom closet is.

PS. My husband ran out an stock-ed up on paper plates and bowls plastic silveware. Maybe you should suggest that.

God bless
Unread 11-01-2006, 12:13 PM

My doc said absolutely no vacumning. It pulls too much. I am not to mop either. If you're hurting that much still, you really need to stop doing some of these things and rest a few days. I think if you rest a few days it will do your body good.

As far as looking for a different doc, that is all up to you. You know how you feel. If you feel he's not been what you want, then I would find another. Do what you feel in your heart.

This site has checkpoints that has a lot of good instructions. You can click at the top of the page on checkpoints and it has instructions and what you can expect the weeks following surgery.

Good luck to you. Stop doing those chores. You can do light household chores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2006, 12:39 PM

I've been trying really hard to follow the ckpoints. It's hard not to do the things I am "supposed" to do according to my mind (& the Dr.) but I have cut back a bit. Won't lie, still doing it, just not daily.

I did wonder if it was because it was TVH and not TAH? It seems like so much of the info. here is directed toward the Abdom. ladies.

Just frustrated with healing as are a lot of you I'm sure. I have two dogs, two cats, and two wonderfully messy little boys. Used to have a DH too but he was more work than the rest of the bunch so he's gone. (haha) Just needing reassurance I guess that it's ok to be lazy for a while and wondering if anyone else had heard the ok from dr. and when.
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:14 PM

Kbro78, it is absolutley allright to be lazy!!!! In fact as an older Princess, I demand it!!! Really, hon, it is ok to let the chores go for a while. If it gets to you, maybe call in afew favors that maybe a friend or 2 may owe you, and pick up the phone and call and see if they would like do maybe a few of the no-no chores for you. Vacuuming, sweeping and mopping utelize the abdominal muscles, thats why you shouldn't do it for awhile. No sense in setting yourselfg back. Now, prop your royal footies up and take it easy!!! '
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:14 PM

After my hyst my doc told me no vacuuming, no mopping, and no pushing the cart if I went to the store. Bottom line is that you need to listen to your body. Pain and spotting are your body's ways of communicating to you that you may be overdoing it. The junk and dirt on the floor, the laundry, the dust and dirt of a household with children (or just a DH for that matter) will still be there when you are better able to handle the work.

You need to rest and focus on you and your needs during this time. It does not make you selfish or lazy. You have to do what you have to do to heal properly so that you can go back to being the best mom and wife you can be. Rushing your recovery and pushing your body could result in delayed healing or even damage to your surgical site. This will only delay getting back into your normal routine even longer, and who wants that?

If the dirt and junk hasn't moved yet, then chances are that it will still be there when you're more healed and better able to handle tackling the chores. Get your kids involved...even a 3yo can handle picking up stuff off the floor and putting clothes in the hamper. The older children can also handle extra chores for a few weeks, despite their opinion to the contrary, it won't kill them.

As for switching docs, only you can answer that. If you feel comfortable with him and the care that you are receiveing then stay, if you're unhappy, switch. As far as I've heard and read, the post-op instructions are pretty much the same regardless if you're had a TVH or a TAH. You've still had major abdominal surgery, the entry route was just different.
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:23 PM

I am kind of the oddball here.... I know that everyone says not to but it is completely up to one's own rate of recovery. My doc said to "avoid" this and that. But he also said to be sure to be moving around to help the healing. He said to participate in activities as tolerated and let my body be my guide. Some things are obvious -- like moving furniture is bad even if healed because of the strain on the pelvic floor. But other things like unloading the top rack of the dishwasher was ok for me. So too was doing laundry provided I didn't reach into the washer to remove the wet clothes. DH had the hamper sitting on a chair so there was no real stooping/twisting/etc.. it was a slow exercise and worked well for me. Most of the things that I did as I recovered where things I learned from my mom's occupational therapist. Simple little tricks that were productive for the home envirnoment, kept me engaged and moving slowly, but didn't impeded the ability to heal. Your doc sounds logical to me but if you aren't comfortable with his level of communication, then don't hesitate to shop for one that would better suit your needs. Best wishes ~
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:25 PM

It is never too late to take it easy on your body.
You deserve teh down time. Be kind to yourself. Do nothing for awhile but rest and relax. You will feel so much better when you let yourself heal. The mess will wait. Let it wait.
Truly, along with all the other sisters posts, I think you are doing way too much.
Now, go lay down or put your feet up. Go let yourself heal.
Unread 11-01-2006, 01:30 PM

I had alot of repair and maybe my restrictions are alot more strict than some...but my dr said no vacuuming for 6 months!! (ooooh I SO love her!) No mopping, and no moving furniture...FOREVER!

We keep hearing this, and it's so important to heed:
"You only have one chance to heal properly" Give your body the rest it needs to do so.
Unread 11-01-2006, 05:18 PM

i just went for my 6 week check up and the dr. gave me the ok to resume my pre-surgical activity slowly....and he still said don't over do it. take your dr's advice and don't jump back in too fast....i agree with everyone else, it is important to let your body have the time it needs to heal...we had major surgery and many internal stictches. it is ok to take it easy and get plenty of rest...it is also necessary.
flutterbye...i love your quote it's so true

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register