Which book is best? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which book is best? Which book is best?

Unread 10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Which book is best?

OK - I'm two years out, today. What is the BEST of the books to help me: not get bloated and huge from HRT, maintain my weight, not feel like I'm 1,000 years old, etc., etc. I can't buy and read them all - I need to know THE BEST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Which book is best?

Hi!

Rather than choose one book, it might be more helpful to make a list of a few titles that interest you and then borrow them from your local library. That way you can get various viewpoints and information to combine and apply to your circumstances.

s
Unread 11-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Which book is best?

I don't think there is one book that is the best one. Each one may have some items of value, and other info that is not. One thing I have found is that the books don't spend alot of time addressing surgical menopause, but the info can still be helpful. I like April Dawn's idea of heading to the library. You might also try a second hand bookstore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Which book is best?

One of the best books I've read is Natural Hormone Balance for Women by Dr. Uzzi Reiss. He talked a lot about estrogen and progesterone, and how to know whether you're taking too little or too much. He gives very detailed symptoms of deficiency or excess for all the hormones, and lots of practical tips. He doesn't talk about weight management though. Dr. Elizabeth Vliet wrote a book called Women, Weight and Hormones. I've only read portions of it, but I thought it was very good. Both of these MDs are extremely knowledgeable about HRT. But like April Dawn and Kim said, it may take a several books to give you the all the info that you're looking for.
Unread 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Which book is best?

I have probably read a half a dozen.

I have found them informative, but confusing. Some are very strong on adding progesterone, another, by Dr. Vivlet, is against progestoerone-especially if you struggle with weight and is very pro testosterone.

The NBC news last night did not speak favorably for any compounded bio-identicals.

So far, I have stuck with bio-identical Rx estrogen in the form of Vivelle Dot only. I also continue to struggle with the feeling that something is still "missing" since my ovaries were removed.

Good luck with your research.
Unread 11-02-2006, 11:52 PM
Hi

I saw that on the news last night too. One MD uses bio-identical Hrt, and one said she wouldn't until further studies showed them safe. I think part of the reason MD's aren't onboard yet is that they get most of their info on new things from the drug companies, and since drug co's don't make Bio's, Dr's are (so far) uneducated in them for the most part. *Fortunately* we women are doing our homework and demanding better choices, and the smart MD's are seeing this as an opportunity for more business and $$, and taking the time to research bio's on their own, asking the pharmacists for assistance, and prescribing them.. Thank GOD!!! I think the library idea is a great one. I have been to dr. Reiss, he sure has some happy patients, I would imagine his book is full of wonderful info.

Good Luck!!
Unread 11-03-2006, 05:40 AM
Which book is best?

I have the book by Dr Uzi Reiss. It is a good informative read. It is well written and easy to read. It is one of my favorites out of all the hrt books I have read or browsed through.
Unread 11-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Which book is best?

I also have the book by Dr. Uzi Reiss, and it is very good. I also really like the book Screaming To Be Heard--Hormone Connections Women Suspect, and Doctors Ignore by Dr. Elizabeth Vliet. She also has another good book Women, Weight, and Hormones. There is SO MUCH to read out there, and unfortunately a good majority of it is junk. It took me a long time and a lot of reading to learn how to separate the junk from the worthwhile.

isewquilts

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register