is it prolapsed uterus? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is it prolapsed uterus? is it prolapsed uterus?

Unread 05-27-2001, 07:15 AM
is it prolapsed uterus?

Due for TVH July 3 '01 for fibroids, excessive bleeding, clots

I told my doctor that when I have my period, my tampons sometimes start to fall out. She said it's cause they are so saturated. But last time I had my period, when I finally got to a lighter day, the tampon was still trying to fall out and when I removed it, it was only half red.

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of a prolapsed uterus? Is it falling down a bit, pushing the tampon out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 08:18 AM
Prolapsed Uterus

Two years ago I went to the doctor because I couldn't keep a tampon in. I hated that because I hate pads. I found out then that I had prolapsed uterus and it was only a grade 1 at the time. Now I have grade 3 along with bladder prolapse which is even worse. Will be having TVH/BSO on June 5. BTW another symptom of prolapse is lower backache. My surgery was scheduled in April for June 5. I was in so much pain my doctor gave me a pessary to help hold things up and it helped with the back pain. Only time I get bad pain now is if I get constipated.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

BarbH
Unread 05-27-2001, 11:53 AM
What can lead up to a full swing prolapse

I too, noticed a summer or so ago that I could not keep a tampon in for very long. I had one that I could feel was not in a correct place at the pool, and went in the bath house and it was on its way south. I never wore another after that. Stop all of your heavy lifting NOW as that makes things worse. The next symptom I had was
what resembled a sciatic nerve problem. ( I know what they feel like as I had a sciatic nerve messed up with 2 of my pregnancys ) . Sometimes after sitting, I would stand up to walk and felt a pain going down one leg
and it either would take several minutes to be able to walk at a normal pace and for the pain to leave. Then
later, I noticed a pain in the back part of my left hip in the back, with a matching pain in the front part of that same hip. I never connected any of this until I did a poll here, and found many women who had the same set of symptoms. Everyone may not have these symptoms, but evidentally, alot of us did. Months more went by and I began having lower back pain, off and on. I believe from what I read here, the tampon not staying in was when I was at stage 1. The hip, and sciatic nerve pain
I believe, I was a stage 2 and by the time the lower back pain hit, I was almost at a stage 3. I hit a stage 3
for sure, 2 days after moving my own sleep sofa to retrieve a cat toy. ( So dumb, thoese things are very heavy ). The first few weeks it hit that stage 3 were the worse. I figured I had ligaments tearing at that point, struggling to help hold it in place. I stopped my exercise program on the recommendation of a sister here, and that REALLY helped. I also run a small houscleaning business and got rid of my "killer house" that was the
hardest one physically, to do. I tried the pessary thing,
but it was not for me. When trying it intially in the doctors office for 30 minutes at least, I felt worse with it in, than I did without it. Of course, they should be custom made if possible, and I had no time for that--
only 6 weeks left before my TVH procedure. Another
similarity alot of us faced, was we were told as young adults that we had a tilted uterus--- not all who responded to the poll, but most---- and thoese of us with the tilted uterus had severe cramping as a young teen. I guess even then, something was desperatly wrong with us, but no one knew. We were told pain, clots, and heavy bleeding were normal, and we believed them. Pain so strong you need codeine to control, and passing out with that pain is never normal. Well, this is probably more information than you wanted, but there you have it. Not for all, but for a great many of us, this
is what our lives were like leading up to and through a prolapse. I will be happy to answer anyones email
if they have more questions on prolapse issues if I can.
P.S. The next stage is a stage 4 where the cervix actually extends out of the vaginal
area. At a stage 3 mine is 1/2 inch from opening. I am
not going to put this off being fixed any longer. My husband and I had a friend whos uterus actually fell
out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 12:11 PM
prolapsed bladder and uterus

I, too, have prolapse of the bladder and uterus. Does anyone know if it is considered odd for the bladder to prolapse before the cervix? I first went to a nurse practioner whom said it was my uterus. Then I went to a urgyn and he said my bladder has completely dropped to the bottom of my vagina and that my cervix and uterus was close behind my bladder. He inserted a pessary that only stayed in 3 days. I'm to go back in 2wks. It's very uncomfortable walking around like I have a tampon in wrong from all this pressure. I also have a cleaning business and I'm on my feet all day. Something has got to go and soon!!

Kathy
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:20 PM
is it prolapsed uterus?

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking perhaps I may be at stage one.
I do get occasional backaches, but I always thought that was because I might not be standing or sitting with correct posture. I never would have associated it with a prolapsed uterus.

Also, even with fibroids, excessive bleeding, etc., I've never had extreme pain. I do get cramps, but nothing I would even bother taking pamprin for. Usually the cramps come just before passing clots. That's why I didn't think I had any symptoms of prolapsed uterus.

I am so grateful for your answers. I find out more on this website than anywhere else.

Do you know if occasion mild pain on lower right is associated with prolapsed uterus too? I'm hoping it's not an ovary pain. It's just a mild pain (as opposed to a dull ache).
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:27 PM
YES YES YES

Kathy--My bladder sling op. was 5 years ago, so yes, the bladder can go first. Try to get rid of your most taxing job--IE: Which one do you lug the vac. up and down steps the most ??? Also. it is better in the morning than the afternoon. You need to put your feet up further than your head and rest after you finish cleaning. I have been lying on the bed or floor with my legs pressed up against the wall in an effort to temporily get things back into place. Thats why we feel
better in the morning, when things have had a chance to "settle back" Kathy or anyone else feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Anytime.

P.S. I am going to try to find the posts/polls that I submitted a few weeks ago and bump them up so you all can see them.
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:36 PM
is it prolapsed uterus?

Kathy,

It is not odd for the bladder to prolapse before the cervix. My uterus prolapsed to a stage 1 two years ago. This past February I helped move a night table and within three days was in severe pain. When I went to the doctor my bladder had prolapsed to a stage 3 and my uterus was sitting on top of my bladder and my cervix pressing on my rectum. My bladder has nowhere to go now except out, infact when I went for my urodynamics test I was considered a stage 4 for the bladder. I am right at the opeing of the vagina.

My pain has been much like Sheri wrote about. Same back, same hip, bladder pain, etc. The pessary did work wonders for me. I took it out for two days to do a bladder diary and I thought I was going to die with the pain. My kidney area hurts so bad without it in. There is no way I could have taken the pain from February until June 5. Vicodin doesn't even help. I thank my doctor for the pessary even though I didn't want it.

A pessary doesn't work for everyone. My doctor did my exam, told the nurse to try a size 3 and it was perfect. I knew within an hour that I had done the right thing. If it hadn't of helped I would have been back the next day.

Like Sheri, I didn't realize that most of my back pain was from my prolapse. I'd been suffering with tailbone pain since I was pregnant with my second child - 9 + pounds. I didn't have a tipped uterus. All my problems is from prior surgery, and large babies. My second was a forceps baby when also contributes to prolapse and/or weakening of the pelvic walls.

I am really looking forward to being without the pain. Thank God I don't and the fibroids, endo or anything else to go with it like many of these wonderful ladies do.

Good luck to everyone!!! And email any time if you have any questions or need someone to talk to.

BarbH
[email protected]
Unread 05-27-2001, 12:40 PM
right side pain...

Most of my pain IS on my right side. The siatic nerve type pain is also more on the right side. I think it's because of the position of my bladder and uterus. It's pressing more on the right side.

Your pain could be from that Or it could be from the orvary. I'm no doctor and would suggust you talk to your doctor if you're really concerned. I know mine isn't from an ovary, because I have no ovary on that side.

BarbH
Unread 05-27-2001, 05:18 PM
is it prolapsed uterus?

Quote:
Originally posted by NYcarol
I told my doctor that when I have my period, my tampons sometimes start to fall out. She said it's cause they are so saturated. But last time I had my period, when I finally got to a lighter day, the tampon was still trying to fall out and when I removed it, it was only half red.

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of a prolapsed uterus? Is it falling down a bit, pushing the tampon out?
Dear Carol,

This is exactly how my tampons behaved before my surgery for prolapse. The tampon was really wedged between my uterus and the vaginal wall (beside the uterus), and only the string end would catch any discharge.

Hope this info helps

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register