Will I be able to reach ya know | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I be able to reach ya know Will I be able to reach ya know

Unread 11-04-2006, 07:52 AM
Will I be able to reach ya know

I am getting a complete H on monday(cervix gone also). My Dr. said that some woman do not have it removed because of stimulation. We agreed in my case, its best to take it out. I have a male Dr. and was suddenly emabarrassed to ask what that meant.He explained how the cervix is removed and how and where he closes it. I explained my fear to DH, and he got the deer in the headlights look.My Dr. said how before I go under blah blah blah blah and if I have any last Q's. I have envisons of saying am I going to stil have my O's?I am thinking I better get all that i can by Monday... for I might never again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 08:29 AM

I'm in the same boat. It's a disturbing thought. I wasn't able to ask my male Dr either, so don't feel bad. My Dr did discuss the cervix removal issue with me and when he listed the pros and cons he never mentioned sexual issues. The reasons to keep it were more for pelvic support. I had read plenty about it here, and I did ask the nurse who called and did my pre-op over the phone. She was so very helpful with everything else, I figured why not.

Lucky for me she had also been through a total hysterectomy. Her answer was the same as the info I had gotten here. It varies person to person. She told me that medically they don't do anything that would prevent the big O, but some women do lose the ability. I think she was very frank with me when she said that the ability to have one to begin with is only partly physical. Many mental/emotional factors effect it too.

I am scared about the possibility of losing it. I finally found a guy who can "do it for me everytime" (sorry if this all TMI) and being faced with that changing is scary for the both of us. So believe me, I know what you are going through.

Unfortunately, it's a question no can answer for us. I can say this, I have a personal friend who is in her mid 40s and has yet to be able to accomplish it. Its something her and I have talked pretty openly about, and I feel very sorry for her... but it helps me with the thought, it's better to have had the O and lost it, then never to have it at all. It's depressing, I know. I told DH I think I would lose my mind if that were to happen.. there is no better stress relief on the planet.

So my advice is this, keep a positive mental attitude about it, since that really is half the battle! Remember that medically it is still possible, and just think about how much fun it might be to rediscover finding it all over again.

There are quite a few post-op posts of women saying sex for them has improved, and they have no trouble. I have only read a few that were the opposite. So here's to hoping we don't have trouble!

Unread 11-04-2006, 08:31 AM

I have the same fears about having my cervix removed. I am thinking about asking the doctor if it is really necessary to remove my cervix. I have endo and have been having some problems since my ablation in March. I am guessing there is scar tissue on my cervix from the ablation and that is why he wants to remove it. I'm sure we will both be fine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 09:10 AM

I had my cervix removed, and I neither knew I had one, nor can I tell it has been removed. And neither can my husband.

Yes, some (((sisters))) report that their sex lives after taking the uterus and cervix (which is not a separate organ, but part of the uterus) is worse. There's also a contingent for whom it is unchanged, and a contingent for whom it's much better. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict which group you'll be part of.

I can say this: for me, it's clitoral stimulation which produces the orgasm, not anything touching the cervix.
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:16 AM

Keeping the cervix is not always an option. As a victim of prolapse (falling organs), I was not a candidate to keep it. Patients with endo are also considered poor candidates to keep the cervix.

For me, having the cervix gone has not affected my sexual response.

I hope this info helps
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491
I can say this: for me, it's clitoral stimulation which produces the orgasm, not anything touching the cervix.
Amen sister!!

My dr said that with a vagingal hyst she can't really leave the cervix anyway, because that's the first thing she comes to. She doesn't anticipate my having any problems with sex. I am actually hoping it will improve, since I have the whole prolapse problem too. It'll be nice when that area isn't already "occupied"!

Here's to all of us having the best sex ever!!

Mary
TVH, A&P repair, TVT
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:03 AM

Like mdj2491, I had my cervix removed and wasn't conscious of it before and don't know it's not there now. No difference for DH either. My personal belief is that your psychological and emotional state are more important to good sex than anything else.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:29 PM

I straight out asked my doctor when he asked me about my cervix (yes he gave me the choice). I asked him if having it removed would affect my sex "drive" and he asked me how my sex drive was now. I told him it was fine and he said it would be fine afterwards. He also told me that the majority of sexual stimulation in a woman comes from the clitoris (and I tend to personally agree). I told him to take out my cervix because it would remove any chance in the future of "female" cancer.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:29 PM

My cervix was actually painful prior to surgery. I had had 2 cone biopsies..don't know if that caused the tenderness. DH would hit my cervix during intercourse and it was not a pleaseant sensation.

After my TVH, there is no cervix to bump into which is a good thing. And as someone else said, for me it is all about clitoral stimulation. My O's are better than ever.
Unread 11-04-2006, 02:12 PM

I think that the choice to keep your cervix is a very personal one and there are many pros and cons involved. I chose to keep mine but then I have no family history of cancer, do not have endo or prolapse and these are all good reasons to remove it. The cervix does contribute to vaginal lubrication and if pelvic contractions are a factor in your orgasm then keeping the cervix means you are more likely to continue to experience that (but no guarantee) It was these factors coupled with wanting to avoid the vaginal cuff and my personal dislike of removing anything I didnt need to that influenced my decision.

If you are having a vaginal hyst then you have to lose the cervix as it cannot be avoided in this procedure. Most hysterectomies today include removing the cervix. It goes in and out of fashion with the doctors if you look at the history of hysterectomy. The current trend is to remove it unless the woman specifically feels strongly about keeping it.

If you do have a choice then I would suggest that you fully research the subject and make the best decision for you own personal circumstances. The cervix can be removed later if you have problems with it but it is much easier to remove it at the time of the hyst. Weigh up the pros and cons and make an informed decision. That way you are more likely to avoid any future regrets.

I personally do not think it has that much influence on your ability to actually achieve an orgasm. If you can experience one now with external play only then there is no reason why that shouldnt stay the same cervix or not. I do feel that the pelvic contractions are important for me and I do still have them post surgery. i also have no problems with vaginal lubrication. Is this because I still have my cervix? I think so but I don't know so. Its your choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register