How to cope w/puppy when released from hospital... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How to cope w/puppy when released from hospital... How to cope w/puppy when released from hospital...

Unread 11-04-2006, 09:33 AM
How to cope w/puppy when released from hospital...

I'm planning on having a SAH in January. My Golden Retriever puppy will be 7 months old and she loves to jump playfully on us whenever we come home...moreso my husband than me..she doesn't really get too excited to see me, I guess because I'm with her most of the day.

I took her to obedience school and know the tricks of getting her to stop jumping...but when the rest of the family isn't consistant with the drill, there isn't much I can do.

I'm just afraid that after not seeing me for 3 days, she's going to go bananas and jump at me when we come home from the castle and hurt me.

Any advice from those of you who have large loving dogs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 09:47 AM

We have two goldens and one mixed breed and we are going to board them for the time I am at the castle and a few days after.

This will put us in more control (instead of me walking into a room of dogs I can be at home and settled in). In this way we control when/who gets to come into the room with me. Our male golden is very gentle and likes just to cuddle. The two girls are very "active" so they will be on leashes with my hubby.

Les
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:04 AM

Thanks Les. Wow, I can't imagine having 3 dogs! I guess my husband will just have to keep her in the crate or on the leash at all times. I can't put her in a kennel, my son would be so sad, he loves her so much.

I have a belt I got from the medical supply store to use on my mom after her hip surgery to hold onto her, it's pretty big and I could try to belt a small pillow to my tummy just in case...but that might just get her going and want to pull at it!

We'll figure something out, maybe by then she won't be so rambunctious..she's getting so big though, she's already 50 lbs.!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 10:08 AM

I think that our pets know when they need to be gentle with us. Our golden we have had since they were pups and Lucy, our mixed breed, we just adopted from the Protective Animal Welfare Society. She is only about 38 lbs. and our goldens average about 60 lbs each.

All will work out fine, who knows your dog may end up getting very protective of you during your healing process.

les
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM

I hear ya about the 'paw alert'. Our MooseDog (90+lb. Lab mix) is the outdoorsy type, so he won't be inside much for me to contend with. However, there are 2 cats and a MinPin that share the house and the bed, and I was a little concerned that a paw would land where it shouldn't after I get home. I may very well end up tying my belly pillow on with a dish towel or two until it heals up more. Dunno how the cats will be, but the MinPin turns into a little nurse when someone here has a boo-boo, so I'm hoping she's more careful and sympathetic. Best wishes!

Diane
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:22 AM

That's a tough one. I have 3 cats, all of which love to curl up in my lap - and 2 of the 3 will jump up on me first, so if I'm lying down, on my tummy.

My husband put them in the basement before I got home from the hospital. Banishment to the basement is not as bad as it sounds. It could be its own apartment... it is carpeted, has a bathroom, L-shaped, a ceiling, cable, nice bright sliding glass doors, etc. It's my daughter's alternate play area right now.

It's also where their litter boxes are in one corner, already; they know the basement. But this is how they felt about it:

We let them up this morning; I put a big pillow on my tummy to protect it once I came downstairs to the couch for the day (under my cough pillow). So far, so good. (crossed fingers). And now they are:

Good luck...the most I can say is, make sure the puppy is not around to jump (leashed, caged, behind a closed door) when you get home.

When you are settled in, give the puppy as little abdominal room on you as possible once you're settled (pillow, raised knees, sitting up, etc.). When you walk, keep your cough pillow against your tummy to absorb a blow; hold onto something with the other hand. Just a guess, but it is working for me so far.

Good luck!!!!

eileen
Unread 11-04-2006, 10:26 AM

I have a chocolate lab that is still a "puppy" at 4 years old. We had her in her kennel when I got home until I got settled in bed. (I have a higher type bed and she KNOWS shes not allowed on the bed.) They let her out then to come see me and she was fine. Dancing and happy and washing my arm from fingers to elbow. LOL! But once she knew I was home and everything was okay, she settled back down.

Best Wishes!!!
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:05 AM

We had Duncan, our 4 year old shep/boxer 70 pound "baby" boarded while I was in the hospital (2 nights) and then the first night I was home. DH wanted to have no other distractions but focusing on me when we first got here which was very sweet of him and we knew from experience with last year's surgery.....Duncan came FLYING through the house and jumped right up on my lap in the recliner as soon as he could. Huge mistake, terrible pain, just not worth it. When he did come home, DH met his Mom outside (she picked Duncan up for us) and really let him have big time lovins and free time so he was tired when he came in to see me. He was very gentle this time.

If your dog has been trained it should be okay but I would still give yourself that one extra day to have no distractions. Yes you mostly sleep when you first come home but it is nice to not have to worry about the four legged babies too!
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:42 AM

I have two dogs, one 45# and one 52#. One is very young (1 yr) and likes to jab her nose into me hard, yes just about crotch level, and the other one jumps up on hind legs when I enter. I will definetely have to send my Dad in first and have him get the pups under control before I go in. Better yet, since my Dad is not a dog guy, I can even arrange for my dogsitter to be out with them when I arrive.

I am glad someone brought this up so I can plan it out. I run them quite a bit in the woods and they will be very restless even though I will arrange leash walks for them until I am able. its not the same as a good leashless romp in the woods. This will be boredom city for them.
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:07 PM

I have a golden retriever too. She is like another child in our family.

Have you taught her "off" yet? You have plenty of time to teach her this if you haven't. I trained our dog with the book, "Just say good dog." Everyone comments to me on how well trained Morgan is. Now, all I have to do is put my hand up in the stop position and she stops and most often will even drop to the floor. Because our goldens love us so much and are so eager to please their masters it is a very easy technique to teach them.

Down means lay down, but off means get off. If Morgan is laying on the couch (which she sneaks sometimes still) if you tell her down she's like I am down, dumb dumb. Telling her to get off, she sighs and gets off the couch.

I can understand how family members are not always helpful and consistent. My junior high age boys wouldn't get on board either in the beginning either. I was the primary trainer. She always listened to me.

Try to explain to your family that this is the SINGLE, MOST IMPORTANT thing you all have to train her on before your surgery. Just bracing and trying to prepare yourself for her can cause you pain. You need their help, you don't want to get hurt after surgery.

Ask them to do it for you. For your recovery. Explain that if you get jumped on even one time it could set you back enough that they have to keep managing on their own for meals, cleaning, laundry, etc, for a MUCH longer time. That might make them "sit up" and take notice!!!

If your family only has to focus on this one thing, they might be able to pull it off. Just this one command. Who knows? They might just get excited about how well she did and want to teach her more????

It is so doable.

You have plenty of time. You can get the book at any Petsmart type store. It's paperback and not expensive. It is an easy read with excellent explanations. My book has been loaned out so many times with vast thank yous, you saved us from getting rid of our mismannered dog!!! Like anyone would ever "get rid" of a dog anyways! :confuse:

"off" and "come" are the single most important manners type behaviors to teach your dog.

Morgan now just lays down next to me, head on her paws, and looks at me like, what's the deal? Are you EVER going to play with me again?

Sorry so long, I LOVE my golden retriever and get carried away. Just my which was more like a dollar! I'll get off my now.

Let me know how it goes!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register