Second thoughts at the last minute | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Second thoughts at the last minute Second thoughts at the last minute

Unread 11-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Second thoughts at the last minute

I am still learning how to post new threads and manuvering around. So I will post my FEARS, ANIXOUS FEELINGS, EMOTIONAL CRAZIES... having TAH for fibroids. It seems like the closer I get to D-DAY my periods have shortened. I have just been diagnosed with diabetes and am on medication and a diet and exercise. I have quit smoking 3 mths ago also. This surgery has really made me more health conscience. This site has really helped me tremendously. But the truth I am truly scared to death of the outcome of not being the same person with the same feelings of and for sex with my husband of 8 years. My doctors wants to remove my cervix too with the uterus and I asked him to leave my ovaries if they are okay. Is it out of convience to doctors to remove the cervix also???? and am I too worried about the new feelings (or no feelings while having sex again after surgery???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Hey, congrats on all of the great changes you have made! Sometimes leaving the cervix is an option, sometimes it's not (it was not, in my case). Ask your doctor if the cervix has to go and why, and is there any possibility of preserving it? i'm perfectly content without a cervix, but I know this is important to some women, so ask the question now while there is still time, you are entitled to answers before you have the procedure. Best of luck to you! My only regret about the TAH was that I didn't have it done sooner.
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:09 PM

Thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think no one else was out there. I had One bad pap 4 years ago had mild displasia and Doc froze bad cells and every 6 mths had paps that came back okay. Even though the Doc says it all good with the sex thing, even without your cervix. I still second guess him. Did your periods completely stop??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2006, 09:15 PM

I have no cervix, so no period. I still have cycles, am sometimes aware of a little breast tenderness around what would be the time for my period, but I'm often not aware of that at all. If I had one bad Pap, I think I would say goodbye to the cervix, but that's just me. Ask your doctor why you specifically should do this, you may still have the option of keeping it. For me, sex is just as good, maybe a bit better, than it was before. We are all different though, with different reasons for having the surgery. You still have time to get answers, and if you're not sure this is the way to go, you don't have it to do it right now.
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:22 PM

I guess I am feeling a little nervous right now, and I need to have positive mindset. My husband keeps saying go ahead and have the surgery I never know when you are not having a period anymore.. I get one bad answer from an aunt in californing about her feelings on the sex issue after her hysto, and I go back to second guessing my Doc's opinion...thank you again for your positive support. I know deep down that I need this surgery and that the time is right, (I have insurance, short term disablility at work, and supportive husband and mother and sister...
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:28 PM

It's true that some women do have problems with sex after hysterectomy, but they're are just as likely to have their cervix preserved as not, so there is no guarantee that keeping it will assure future function. Despite my horrible periods, hubby and I did have a good sex life before my surgery, and I did think more than twice about what it might mean to lose that. BUT, my uterus was very large, I had several fibroids that were continuing to grow and take up more space in my abdomen, and I decided I had better act. I felt immense relief the moment I awoke from surgery and knew that my uterus was gone for good. If you're having second thoughts, do talk to your doctor about it. It's great that you have your husband's support, but you are the one having the surgery, not him! Please let us know about your progress.
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:34 PM

Hi Mexy, I truly believe that if you have a postitve attitude, you will excell!! Have faith in your Doc, He/She is a professional,trained in this specific area. Relax, TRUST, and know that you can do anything with God,and the support of your loved ones. Bless you sweetie! Kim
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM

I do have horrible periods, and spotting and wearing pads all the time. My uterus is the size of 3mths pregnacy. I am also having the bladder lift with mesh. I will talk with my Doc again for reasurance. And the more I read about Cervical Cancer the more I feel that Doc may be right..I do look forward to the NO MORE PERIODS. Just being able to take to someone about my fears with women that have gone through this already is a true blessing....
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:37 PM

No more periods, it's the best!
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:39 PM

Hi SexyMexy,

I was 46 when I had a LSH and I kept my cervix. I am still pleased with my decision. My Dr. thought I was a good candidate to keep my cervix since I had a sturdy cervix and I had had normal pap smears for years. Normal pap smears can be a big concern with keeping the cervix.

On the cervical cancer question...my Dr. told me that it runs in 3% of women. And from being on Hyster Sisters, I have read that over 75% of cervical cancer ladies also have a HPV. I felt that was good odds for me.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link on the ~cervix~ that might help you with your research:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_96911.htm

I had my cervix cauterized during my hyst and I have not had a mini-period in post-op.

Best wishes,

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register