Vaginal bleeding years post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal bleeding years post-op Vaginal bleeding years post-op

Unread 11-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Vaginal bleeding years post-op

Hi, i'm a newbie. I had a TVH in 2003 with a bilateral oophorectomy. As of thursday evening i've had vaginal bleeding from bright red to pink, it's very light not heavy. My question is, is this normal or should i call my gyno for a consult?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 02:02 PM

Hi bluphoenixangel
Welcome to Hystersisters! I think any bleeding this far post op needs to be reported to your dr. It isn't normal. The link in the post above yours is a good one to read for some information on possible causes. If you have vaginal dryness it can also be a cause. Your dr should be able to tell you. Please let us know what you find out.
's, Rita
Unread 11-04-2006, 09:41 PM

I will contact my gyno on Monday i just wanted a second opinion. As far as vaginal dryness how will i know this is the cause if i have not been sexually active in almost 2 years.I'll definately keep you informed, thank you for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2006, 10:00 PM

I haven't had this myself so I'm not real familiar with the symptoms you would experience if not having sex as an indicator. I'm not sure it's the same with everyone, but I know you can experience itching as one symptom. There is an article onVaginal Dryness that might have some helpful information for you.
Without your ovaries, it isn't uncommon to have vaginal dryness that can lead to atrophy. If this is the case you'll want to know so you can treat it. Vaginal estrogen usually will take care of it.
's,Rita
Unread 11-04-2006, 11:29 PM

I'm on Premarin as my HRT, the Dr took me off of estratest due to the testosterone causing cancer in women, he tries to keep up to date on latest gyno info, bonus. Being as it is estrogen wouldn't that take care of the vaginal dryness possibility or is there something needed along with that. I wasn't given much information as to what to expect after the surgery but since i've had no previous issues i just figured this wasn't normal and wanted a second opinion. I'm familiar with muscle atrophy but had no idea it could happen post-hysterectomy, i am so uninformed.
Unread 11-05-2006, 08:31 PM

Hi!

I need both systemic estrogen for the major menopause symptoms along with vaginal estrogen for dryness/atrophy. For me no matter what dose of systemic estrogen I have used and no matter the method of delivery--patch, pill or cream--I need vaginal estrogen to keep those tissues moist and elastic. Of course not everyone is the same, but it's not unheard of to need that additional estrogen.

I've not heard that testosterone causes cancer in women.

Let us know what your doctor says about the bleeding, okay?

s
Unread 11-05-2006, 09:53 PM

My Dr read it was the estrogen/testosterone combo used in estratest that has been said to raise the risk and cause breast cancer so he switched me to straight estrogen. The bleeding stopped but today i had a mild fever of 99.1, like i said mild so i'm not sure if i should worry since the bleeding stopped. I will ask him about vaginal atrophy and see if he has any material about it, if not i'll do a search. I may still call him just to be safe. I'll keep you informed.
Unread 11-10-2006, 02:26 PM

Dr. said not to worry about the bleeding, said my body sometimes needs vaginal estrogen because the oral estrogen is not always enough. My mother said she never had that problem, but i am not my mother. So far two days into vaginal estrogen and the itch and dryness seem less severe. Taking pain pills to prevent from having another surgery to have scar tissue removed, Dr said it was best to wait as long as possible so i am. Just wanted to keep you all posted. I'm clueless as to all the expected changes, never thought it would be that big of change but i thought wrong.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register