New to this | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-27-2001, 07:02 PM
New to this

Hi, my name is LeeAnn and I am new to all this. I was told I had an ovarian cyst when I was preg in 1990, but nothing was ever said about doing anything about it, so I didn't think it was important. In 1997 I was in the hospital because of pains worse than any kind of cramps I had ever had. Had many ultrasounds done that weekend, internal and abdominal. Was sent home and put on the pill. After a few months, putting on weight and becoming an absolute B*TCH I went off the pill. Nothing came about until 2000. I started bleeding in January and did not stop until July. Only a couple of days here and there did I not bleed. I went to the ER two times for this, because of the bleeding, big clotting and cramping, the first time I was diagnosed with abnormal vag bleeding, DUH!!!, they put me on a pill to stop the bleeding and that was it. Then it started up again, worse than before, I went to a different hospital and they did all kinds of work, blood tests, internals and all, but I had never heard back. They put me on the pill for 2 months and things were fine. FAST FORWARD TO 2001, January to May was no bleeding what so ever. May 12 I started and things were normal, except for some good size clotting. I know you are probably saying why didn't you go see a dr, the answer to this is... we do not have health insurance as of yet because my hubby was in school last year and had changed jobs. His insurance will not kick in until December of this year. I can not wait that long. My symptoms are this crazy bleeding, cramping, clotting, I am really tired all the time, and seem to be in the bathroom all the time. I am calling the hospital tomorow to see what the results were for the tests that were done in August, since I never heard back from them. Could be no news is good news, but it could be I was lost in the shuffle too. I just found out there is a women's clinic that is apart of the hospital that we may qualify for financial aid for, but I won't know until next week if we qualify.
In the mean time I could be rotting from the inside out and have no one out there to talk too. HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 07:46 PM
New to this

Oh, LeeAnn!

You have been for a spin these past many months, haven't you? You, poor thing! Being without insurance is a terrible thing (even being with insurance is a nightmare at times!). I have a sister with many, many female problems, mostly irregular bleeding, and she had no insurance. She found a great doctor and they got it all under control (she had to go through 3 other doctors first before she finally found this one). I believe she has polycystic ovarian syndrome, and she will likely have a hysterectomy in a couple of years, but her symptoms are currently under control. Fortunately, she has insurance now--it was very expensive for her without it, but all of her doctors and the hospital were very patient and she just paid a small amount every month. Eventually, the hospital wrote off a huge chunk, but it was very stressful for her.

Please find yourself a doctor. One that you will see all the time. It's difficult to get good care when you only visit the ER because no one doctor is really managing your case, so things like test results tend to end up missing in action. You owe it to yourself and to your husband to get good care. I hope you can get financial help from the clinic, but if not, you really need to find a doctor anyway and assume that God will provide the necessary funds for you.

Best wishes to you and welcome! This is the greatest place on earth and we're happy to have you. The more the merrier!
Unread 05-27-2001, 07:59 PM
New to this

((((((((( hugs))))))))))))) LeeAnn, I am so sorry that you are going through all of this. As I live in Australia I don't know much about your medical system over here, but I think you should definately try for this financial aid.

You have posted in the cancer concerns and you are very welcome to be here but you may find alot more traffic ( girls and posts) on the pre op forum. Sometimes this forum can be a little slow. Which is a blessing indeed ,it means that not too many girls have cancer to deal with.

Any way you take good care and please come back and let us know how you get on . XXXX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2001, 09:02 AM
New to this

Welcome to the site. YOu are doing the right thing by applying for assistance. If you do not qualify, then I am sure that they could give you some other avenues to try. Please don't let the lack of insurance reflect upon your health, especially since this seems so serious for you.
I hope that everything works out and you will soon be assigned a doctor to help you. Know that you are always welcome here to post how you are feeling, it really does help to open up to others in the same situation.....Considering that you are not sure IF you have cancer, then you would probably benefit from the general pre-op forum more. The ladies there often speak of the actual hyst and what is expected, where as here we have tendency to speak of treatments for cancer. I wish you the best and if you find that you need anything, feel free to ask any of the hostesses....we are all eager to help!
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:56 PM
New to this

{{LeeAnn}}

Welcome to hystersisters! Feel free to ask any questions or post any concerns, we're all here to help any way we can.

I'm so sorry you've been experiencing such problems. I do hope you'll be able to get the qualification for the women's clinic. Another avenue you might check into possibly if you have a teaching hospital near you, they most times have some aid programs to provide health care for people uninsured.

I hope you'll be able to get something arranged and get checked out soon. Worrying about "what ifs" can most times be much more stressful than knowing what is happening.

Best to you, please let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Vicki
Unread 06-01-2001, 08:51 PM
Financial aid for medical emergency

My sister had a hysterectomy 11 years ago for pre-cancerous cervical cancer. She had the surgery done at a local teaching hospital. She had no medical insurance and worked with a social worker at the hospital ahead of time to get the surgery covered. At the time, she had an older son (22) living at home who could help with rent and food. All she asked for was that the hospital and doctor be covered by the county. They approved the surgery's expense after the doctor gave a statement that it was necessary for her well being. I don't know exactly what the doctor wrote, but she had no problem getting the financial aid. If you contact the gyn department at a teaching hospital, they can give you info about appointments and payment schedules and/or financial aid if surgery is necessary. You may have to pay for doctor visits, but that is usually done on a sliding scale according to your family's income. If you need surgery, ask for financial aid. I had heavy bleeding and clots and can't imagine having it for as long as you did. You are most likely also anemic. Call the hospital on Monday and get an appointment scheduled. Tell them what you are experiencing and that you need to get an appointment AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Even with medical insurance for my surgery last year, I still have some bills that were not completely paid. I just pay them a little at a time. Please let us know how you are doing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register