Cancer worry | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 05-27-2001, 07:43 PM
Cancer worry

Hi everyone!
I recently posted on the pre-op board and all was well. I was feeling pretty confident about my surgery and wanted to get it over with. Two yrs ago I had a scoping done, and dd said, hyster needed, and the cysts on my ovaries were benine. Last Monday I had another ultrasound done, 2 new fibroids, and my new dd is worried about one of the cysts on my right ovary. I was really floored by this. Thought all was well and this surgery nightmare would go away, but I must have been too confident. My surgery TAH/BSO is now for June 20th, and she has asked for an Oncologist surgeon to assist her. FEAR, FEAR, and more FEAR is eating me alive. DD told me there is a 90% change its not cancer, but I dont even care for a possible 10% it is. Panic has set in and I just cant seem to shake it. I have an appointment with her on Friday and I will discuss it again with her, but I just want to pull myself together, and try to relieve some of this fear and anxiety. Well, thanks for letting me vent, it seems to bring the fear into a little better prospective.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 07:52 PM
Cancer worry

Hugs , Jeloules, Cancer is a word that puts fear into any ones heart. I can remember when I heard it. Boy did I go into a panic. Just ask the other girls here But you have a 90% chance that it is not cancer , try to focus on that. Try to think positive and whenever those nagging negative thoughts come your way, say no thankyou very much , you are not welcome.

At least your doctor is being very cautious , having an oncologist assist her. And on Friday , make sure that you have all the questions written down , it helps to remember them. Good luck and please come back if you are stressing really bad, we will give you a big
Unread 05-27-2001, 07:59 PM
Cancer worry

{{{Jean}}}

I can understand why you would feel panic coursing through your veins right now. BUT take a deep breath. Inhale. Exhale. Fortunately, it sounds like the odds are in your favor. I know you'd rather hear that everything is benign like it was before, but most likely your pathology report will tell you that after your surgery. Absolutely, talk to your doctor a lot. Ask a lot of questions. Thank goodness she is having an oncologist there to assist her--she clearly has your best interest in mind, so try to take some comfort from that.

I've had my share of waiting for procedures and test results and the like, and I feel for you. But try to keep calm and relaxed. Visualize that you have perfectly healthy ovaries. I'll keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on how it's going!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2001, 08:06 PM
Cancer worry

Hi Jeloules:

I think a 90% chance of it NOT being cancer are really excellent odds.
Sounds as though your gyn is being cautious and just wants to be sure.
I am sure lots of times oncologists are called in during surgery as a precaution, to reassure the operating surgeon that everything is ok.
I know its hard, but try not to worry and concentrate on that 90%.
I have said it many times, and will say it again.....postive thinking and a good attitude can work wonders!!!
Sending thoughts and prayers!!
Maria
Unread 05-27-2001, 08:07 PM
Thanks Robyn

Hi Robyn
Thanks so much for the support. Yes, its a very scary word. I will try very hard not to think about it. BUT, I am a real worry wart....lol. How are you doing? You will be in my prayers and thoughts. If you could use a shoulder I will be here for you.....Thanks
Unread 05-27-2001, 08:34 PM
Thanks Jeanine & Maria

I really appreciate your kind words of support and your prayers. You will all be in my prayers too. This past week I have been on vacation and tried very hard to put it out of my mind, but it just kept creeping back in. My hubby was trying to be supportive, but its not the same as having another woman to talk it over with, and someone who has been there, and done that. You understand my fears and worries. He just understands the road map on the trip....LOL.....I will try to keep that 90% in my favor, and in my mind. I know that I have a very conservative doctor, and she hates suprises, and that is why she is being very cautious, and that its in my best interest to have a second surgeon there, just in case....so with that, I will say good nite, and thanks ....hystersisters...God Bless You!
Unread 05-27-2001, 09:12 PM
Cancer worry

Jeloules.... worry wart???~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> robyn, meet the worlds biggest worry wart.
Thanks so much for the shoulder , much appreciated. I am doing well and plan on continuing that way
You take good care and let us know how you go x x
Unread 05-29-2001, 12:49 PM
Cancer worry

Jeloules-

I just read your post and my heart goes out to you. Last November I was going through the same thing you are now. I had a TAH/BSO on 11/7/00 because I too had an ultrasound and the doctor saw a cyst on one of my ovaries that he didn't like the looks of. He told me it might be cancer. I had a CA 125 which came back normal, but still that was no guarantee. I had a vertical incision (in case it was cancer that made getting my lymph nodes easier) and had an oncologist on stand by. It was very scary going in that operating room not knowing what they were going to tell you when you woke up. My doctor would not even give me the 90% yours gave you. Anyway, to make a long story somewhat short, during my surgery they discovered that my fallopian tube was wrapped around my ovary and that is what was showing up "scary looking " on the ultrasound. I realize, only to well, that it is almost impossible not to worry, but I look back now and think of all the time I wasted doing just that, I don't want you to do that too. As they say, one day at a time. You are in my prayers.

Sharonk
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:28 PM
Cancer worry

{{Jeloules}}

I'm so glad you have such a conservative Dr. I know its so scary to even think about the smallest possibility but a 90% of it NOT being cancer is excellent!

One of the things my gyn oncologist mentioned on how they can sometimes tell if they are going to be dealing with cancer is the shape, texture and density of the "mass" for instance. A smooth, even textured, non-opaque growth has a much better chance of being benign. An uneven, bumpy, opaque growth is much more likely to be considered a malignant growth. Although nothing is certain until pathology is performed he did say this is a good indicator.

I wish you the best for your visit tomorrow and hope they will be able to answer some of the questions you have. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Big {{hugs}} for you, we're all here pulling for good news for you!

Take care,

Vicki
Unread 06-01-2001, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone for your wonderful replies

Thank you all so much for your wonderful support. I had an appointment with my Gyn today and she is being very honest and supportive. I wrote down a lot of questions to ask her, and she took her time with me. There is still concern about my right ovary, DD said today it has grown larger in size then it was 2 years ago. I had a problem with my last 2 visits with her obtaining a pap smear, fibroids are so large that they are pushing down on my cervix, and she had to use a larger spectulum(so ladies if you encounter this problem you may want to ask your doctor to try this approach, as the 10 mg valium was of no help to calm me down)...lol.. well, I am finally going with the notion that whatever is going to be, will be, whether I worry about it or not. Soooo, I will just batton down the hatches and wait for the storm to pass, and hope there is a bright sun, and a wonderful rainbow to see. Take care everyone, and thanks again...you are all in my prayers.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register