Cancer worry - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-01-2001, 07:55 PM
Cancer worry

Hi Jean!!!

What a great attitude you have!!
We are stronger than we think girl, and you are right, whatever is to be will be, and you will weather the storm, but hopefully it will turn into a sunny day for you instead!! I still think 90% odds of it not being serious are really good!!
Keep that great attitude!! The mind is a powerful tool!
Love and hugs,
Maria xo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2001, 08:25 PM
Cancer worry

My doctor also told me that he was going to have a gyn oncologist available. He wasn't going to be in the OR, but in the hospital should he be needed to step in. We coordinated my gyn's schedule with the gyn oncologist. I was told I needed the hysterectomy because I had "complex atypical endometrial hyperplasia" -- which in laymen's terms is a pre-cancerous condition that needed immediate attention. They don't yet know how long it takes for pre-cancerous hyperplasia to turn to cancer so they told me that I needed surgery asap. I was initially told by a female gyn (the one who ordered my TV Ultrasound and did my D&C/Hysteroscopy) that I needed a hysterectomy asap -- and she was ready to do it in about 2 weeks. I decided on the second opinion. That doctor told me the same thing and I decided to change to him since I liked his "bedside manner" and the time he took with me to explain why and what he would do. I never felt so calm with a doctor before. He had my utmost confidence. My "pre-cancerous condition" was cancer, but curable. It was 1mm into my uterine wall, but a hysterectomy takes care of it. I also had an early stage ovarian cancer diagnosed, but that was later changed to "borderline." The key word here is "expedience." Do not put off having your surgery. The sooner you have it, the less you worry. And, it is great not to have a period anymore. Amen. I am 53 (was 52 when I had my surgery last year -- one year ago tomorrow). If you want to e-mail me for support, I can be reached at [email protected]
Linda
Unread 06-02-2001, 05:58 AM
oncologist=good choice

Jeloules mentioned that an oncologist will be on hand during her surgery--good choice! The best route of all if there is even the slightest suspicion of ovarian cancer is to have a gyn/oncologist perform the surgery. They are specially trained to deal with the staging and washing process that needs to be done expertly should cancer be present.
I had two grapefruit sized, partially solid, bilateral ovarian cysts with internal structures. Very strong suspicion of cancer. Went through six weeks of utter terror, since I was convinced my gyn was not handling it correctly. Finally got to an gyn/oncologist in Philadelphia, who performed the surgery the next week. Luckily, both were benign. However, I am convinced that , had they been cancerous, my chances were much much greater in my oncologist's hands.
I really resisted the idea of going to an oncological gyn, since I think that it meant acknowledging that the chances of cancer were so strong. I do not want to add to your worry, but, believe me, it is far better to know that you are in the right hands should something go wrong. Think of it as wearing a seat belt.
Also, I empathize with the worry you are going through at this point. I was almost totally incapacitated with it. Take good care of yourself, Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-02-2001, 06:29 AM
Cancer worry

Jean!

You sound so much better now! I'm so happy your doctor took the time to answer your questions. And what a wonderful attitude you are putting forth! We'll all be watching for that rainbow with you!
Unread 06-07-2001, 03:03 PM
What wonderful "sisters" I have!

Once again ladies, THANK YOU! I can very honestly say that because of you I am dealing alot better with my upcoming surgery. Whenever I have a doubting "moment", and believe me I do, I just go back to this site and re-read the posts and it calms me down. I really dont think I could have found better support, not even from my own friends, its because my "sisters" have been there, and done that......you are all very kind and compassionate women. Your kindness and spirit have empowered me.

If it helps anyone else, worrying will not change anything, whatever God is handing us is what we have to deal with, and whatever is there, is there, worry or not...so I will just look to the heavens and this wonderful site for my guidance through. God bless you and you are in my prayers.
Unread 06-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Cancer worry

(((hugs))) Jean

Great to hear from you, just hang in there and soon it will all be over. We are here for you any time you need us. We are all so very lucky to have each other. You will be having your surgery about the same time I will be having my internal radiation. Take good care and come back whenever you need a shot of SUPPORT x x
Unread 06-07-2001, 07:58 PM
Cancer worry

Hi Robyn,
Thanks for the hugs.....hugs back to you. I will be thinking about you when you start your radiation, and you will be in my prayers. Yes, its almost over with and I am glad. The wait and unknown has been tough. I am trying to keep very busy and keep a positive attitude. Please let me know how it goes for you, and yes, we are all very fortunate to have the support of each other. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register