C-section vs Hyst recovery???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

C-section vs Hyst recovery???? C-section vs Hyst recovery????

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM
C-section vs Hyst recovery????

Can someone explain the difference to me between the recovery time of a c-section and a hyst??? A couple of my girlfriends have had c-sections and are wondering (they are being very supportive just wondering what the difference is in recovery)...

Thanks all.... OMG 2 weeks to go!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2006, 10:38 AM

I have read on here that there are a lot more stitches, internally, so the recovery from a hysterectomy is more difficult. You still have the same 8 weeks off, unless there are complications that put you out longer.
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:46 AM

I think they are wondering because with a C you have a baby to go home to to take care of..... and you know you'll pick up your baby and they can weigh more than a gallon of milk.

I know one of my other friends did have some complications with her second child because of picking up the first when she got home....

I guess it is more of a question of being "out of it" for a week or so and they were not... is it becuase of the internal "stuff"? Guess there would be a slight difference in taking out "stuff" that belongs there versus a baby.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2006, 11:25 AM

I had a c-section 22 years ago. A lot of the "don'ts" I see here are the same I was given for my c-section. Same with walking and moving around afterward, passing gas, have a BM. I remember the pain in my back and I remember feeling like my guts were going to spill out from laughing, sneezing, coughing so I'm fully prepared for those feelings to return. I know this will be more traumatic to my body though since they'll be removing and stitching up what's left on the inside. I will say that I wish I had had a support group like this one for my c-section, since I have learned so much from some of you, I could have used the info then.
Unread 11-13-2006, 11:30 AM

It is important for you to understand that this is a HUGE difference. I have had two c-sections and one TAH. The TAH is by FAR a more invasive surgery.

You can do a search for posts on this site for lots of explanations. This subject comes up often. Usually because someone who is not supportive tries to compare it to their c-section.

In a C-section they do the same incision. After that, NOTHING else is the same. C-sections are usually done under an epidural. A c-section takes literally --- minutes. You do not have to deal with general anesthesia. TAH you are "under" for up to a couple of hours.

In a c-sec they make another incision in your uterus and take out a baby and placenta. They sew everything back up and wa-la! You are done and off to recovery.

In a TAH they are now just getting started. They move your organs around. Cut ligaments, take out major organs. Tons and tons of internal stitches. You will have many more restrictions placed on you.

Those are just my initial thoughts. Others will have additional thoughts for you.

I'm glad you have supportive friends.
Unread 11-13-2006, 12:20 PM

Thanks this really helps....
Unread 11-13-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree with CeCeRose611....I had 3 c-sections and an SAH. I went into my hyst not really knowing what to expect....thought it would be similar. WAS I WRONG!!!! I was not prepared for the pain I had after surgery. Don't get me wrong, it was tolerable with pain meds...just a lot different than I thought. More of a deep "cramping" pain than anything...didn't have that with my deliveries. I've found that the recovery from my hyst has taken so much longer too....probably because this time I wasn't forced to get up and take care of a crying baby..lol! Hope everything turns out well for all of you ladies! God bless!
Unread 11-13-2006, 04:13 PM

My Surgeon explained it to me quite simply ... "a baby is supposed to come out - the uterus isn't - thus it is major surgery".
Unread 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM

If you ask 100 different women you'll get 100 different answers.... so here's my take on the situation, for what it's worth:

I've had four abdominal surgeries in my adult life -- a c-section when I was 28, another c-section when I was 40 (and much more overweight than the first time), a TAH/panniculectomy when I was 44, and an open debridement of a hematoma when I was 45.

The easiest of the four surgeries (by far) was the hematoma surgery when I was 45, because it was all done in front of the abdominal wall. The next easiest was my second c-section. I took a 3-month maternity leave but I really could have gone back to work at four weeks. I really felt pretty good after about two weeks and felt rather guilty about the additional time off!

The next hardest was the TAH/panniculectomy. I really needed a good 8 weeks to recover from it, mostly because of the open, hip-to-hip incision caused by the panniculectomy.

For me, anyway, the hardest recovery by far was the c-section I had when I was 28 years old, when theoretically I should have been in the best shape of any of the surgeries! I took a six-week maternity leave (which was all I could afford financially) and I really needed three months. It wasn't because I had a new baby at home, either -- because she was a perfect baby (slept through the night in only a few weeks) and I had scads of family members (including my mom and MIL) helping me out.

The point I'm trying to make is that your recovery from a particular surgery depends on all sorts of things -- your physical condition at the time of the operation, the condition they find your organs in, any other trauma caused by the surgery, any complications you might suffer. There's no cut-and-dried answer, as you've already seen.
Unread 11-13-2006, 04:35 PM

Like Mrs. USMC, I remember all the rules from my c-section. My son was born in an emergency situation and I remembered being terrified at the thought of going under general anesthesia. I didn't want it that way but the doctor said there wasn't time for an epidural, they had to deliver the baby NOW! I was absolutely frightned to death as that was my very first ever anything surgery.

I know it's going to hurt and I also know that I'm 20 years older now than I was then, but I'll cope the best I can as I have no choice but to have an abdominal.

I just wish it was over, seems that's all I think about is my upcoming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register