just need to share... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just need to share... just need to share...

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:28 PM
just need to share...

I went to a uro-oncologist today, and he didn't see what the uro-gynecologist saw last week, but he did see a tumor in my bladder which he said was the only think that concerned him though he didn't think it was cancer. (The word tumor sounds scary to me....but it can be benign, right?) He wants to remove it and get a biopsy. There's also blood and inflammation in the bladder. So, hours later....I wonder...if he doesn't think it's cancer, why are we removing it? And is the blood related? (I have blood that comes out of the urethra...been going on for about 6 weeks). I'm just tired of having 'issues', you know? And, though the cystoscopy wasn't too painful....he used a good amount of lidocaine and a very thin/narrow tube...I'm still recovering with pain post-procedure. Anyway, just not looking forward to another 'surgery', with anesthesia, etc. He's also going to do a retrograde...i need to find out more about that. You think you're really paying attention and asking all the right questions...but then more come up after you leave the office. Ah, well. Thanks for listening. I mostly need to share. BUT, of course, if you've got experiences with any of this, please let me know! Thanks.
Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2006, 06:35 PM
just need to share...

s Joanne

Wow...what an appointment you had. Although I have no direct experience with those types of issues, might I suggest that you write down the additional questions you have and at least call the Dr's nurse to get some additional clarification.

I hope all goes well for you and the post procedure pain settles down really soon.

s
Unread 11-14-2006, 06:46 PM
just need to share...

Thanks, Lori. The nurse seemed very nice, and helpful. AND, she probably thought it was a nice change to see someone under the age of 70! (No offense to any women here over 70!). I was a good 25 years younger than any of the others in the waiting room. (I'm going to be 46 next week.) Anyway, I think she'd be good to call and ask my questions. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
just need to share...

Joanne,
I hear you when you say you are so tired of having issues. I hope things calm down for you really soon and life becomes a little mundane and boring! Enough with the surprises!!

Yes, the word tumor does strike fear in one's heart, but many times they can be benign. Even benign tumors can cause irritation, swelling & bleeding. It depends on how big they are and where they are located. I am glad you feel as though you are with a good doc with kind support staff. I am certain your procedure will come off without a hitch.

Best wishes,
Beachball
Unread 11-15-2006, 03:42 AM
just need to share...

Hi joanne. Been waiting for your "report." Just remember, you got through a bad part of this, the cystoscopy.

Regarding your "tumor" -- yes it is a scary word -- it is best to come out, even benign, because it can cause problems with kidney stones, and the normal flow of urine. People pass kidney stones all the time; it's only when the stone is big or there is a blockage that people have a lot of pain. So anything that interferes with that can cause major problems. Also, there is a type of stone that forms when urine, blocked for whatever reason, backs up in the system. So that's why your doctor, aside from the necessary biopsy to be sure, wants that tumor out.

One thing at a time. The operation itself is very short and usually done on an out-patient basis. In fact, you may not be completely out for it (although I always ask to be -- I really don't want to hear them talk!!!). But, even if you are not completely out, trust me that you will be completely "happy" from the drugs, and really won't care what they are doing!!! Again, a very short operation.

The worst side effect would be that you will have some pain on urinating the first few times. They may send you home with a catheter (completely manageable if you have never had one) and only for a few days to about a week.

They may also put a "stent" in the uretha or ureta. Given your issues, this would be a good idea. A stent is a very tiny tube -- really just a "j-shaped" wire -- Inside (you won't know it's there), that keeps the uretha or ureter "open" but "rests" the bladder function. The only side effect: you can pee anytime you need to and like a truck driver after a long haul without a break!!! That comes out in about six weeks, and can be done at the hospital under a mild anesthetic or in the doctor's office. (In the hospital, it takes longer to drug you up than to take the stent out! It's likely he will do this in the hospital, because he probably, at the same time, will want to look at how you are healing inside. And sometimes they put in another stent just to give you some more healing time).

I know what you mean that you want this all over. When I was having all my surgeries for bladder cancer, endo and ovarian, I just got so tired of going to the doctors and hospitals -- but it is necessary.

Hope I've answered some questions for you!!!
Unread 11-15-2006, 04:04 AM
just need to share...

Forgot something in earlier post regarding you being the only young person in the office. My urologist is in a large practice in Michigan. Really, there are about 25 doctors, and it's like the "walmart" of urologists!!! The first time I walked in, there were two guys in their 40s, me (in my 40s), a couple women who had newborns, and about 50 80-year-old men!!! I almost walked right out!!! But you do get used to it!!!! Thought you could use a laugh!!!
Unread 11-15-2006, 07:20 PM
just need to share...

Willtowin - I'm glad of the laugh - nothing like seeing so many older men. Feels like you're in the wrong office!
I got my list of questions answered today by the nurse - she was very nice and supportive. Unfortunately, my of the 'answers' are that they don't know! That's why they're removing the tumor and biopsying it, taking a further look around to check that there aren't other abnormalities, etc. She said I wouldn't need a catheter when I left unless I couldn't urinate and that should not be expected - that was one of my fears. I wouldn't be able to deal with that, personally. And, yes, as noted above, she explained that just the presence of a tumor, even if benign, could cause inflammation, bleeding, etc., so that's what it does need to be removed - not an optional thing. So, hopefully this will get me some answers. Fortunately, I'll be very busy at work next week, and probably even after that....so I won't be able to focus on the surgery - except when I'm not working - I'll just have to go right to sleep when I get home!
Joanne
Unread 11-16-2006, 03:39 AM
just need to share...

joanne I know how hard the waiting is...the only good thing about it is by the morning of your surgery, you're just ready to get the whole thing over with!!!

Take heart that this is a much easier surgery than a hysterectomy. In fact, my cousin and I had several of these and were ready to go back to work in a couple days, if not the next day.

Good news on the catheter, although please don't worry too much about it. I ended up with a cath only once (and I've had 5 stent replacements. The time I ended up with a cath was when I had the ureter resection and note that I had additional major surgery at the same time). Really, I had never had a cath, even in a hospital, before all this, and while uncomfortable, it really wasn't too much of a problem -- just in case. Not that I ever want to go home with another one!!

Hang in there. Pretty soon, you'll have this over and just have regular checkups. You'll be fine.
Unread 11-16-2006, 04:43 AM
just need to share...

s Joannel,

I know how it is after the appointment and suddenly you remember so many things you could've asked!

What I've done: If you can't get the doctor to call you back, Write the the questions down, get a good list, and call and speak with the nurses in the office....they can answer most of them, I'm sure. My nurse's meet with the doctors every morning to discuss questions and concerns that have come up...and they will bring my questions with them and call me back with the answers from the doc.

Of course...if it's something important that can't wait...I hound them til I get an answer, an appointment, or to have the doctor call me back!

xoxo
k9
Unread 11-16-2006, 08:00 AM
just need to share...

Yep, that's what I did....I had a written list, and called the office. The nurse was able to answer all of the questions. it's a much smaller office than other ones I've been too...he's the only doctor there, rather than it being a practice of several doctors. So, it was much easier to get right to the nurse and to get the answers. Thanks for all your support ladies. now the silly thing i've wondered about is that since I'm currently scheduled for the afternoon......that's a looong time for not even having a drink of water (no food nor water from midnight night before). ah, well. that should be the worst of the problems. thanks again, all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register