Anyone ask for more time off from work??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone ask for more time off from work??? Anyone ask for more time off from work???

Unread 11-17-2006, 05:05 PM
Anyone ask for more time off from work???

Just wondering if anyone needed more time off than originally scheduled. My dr. gave me 6 weeks but with the insomnia and hot flashes lately I wonder if I'll be ready on 12/1. I commute 3 hours round trip via train and freeway and wake up at 2:30 am to get to work 50 miles away

Could someone let me know if they requested additional time and how their employer handled the extension...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2006, 05:44 PM

I did and it was granted. I asked for the same reasons that you cite, my day begins at 4:30AM and with elder care issues after work, normally I don't sit down until about 8:00 or 9:00 pm. I was frank and I told the Dr even though my recovery had been uneventful and that I was feeling well, I still found a need for rest periods in the afternoon. I told him that I was concerned about jumping in so quickly and proposed that he approve my working 1/2 days for two weeks. I found this helped, but the point is that you need to have a good propsal with sound logic. Going from complete rest to getting up at 2:30A to commute three hours a day is a pretty hectic schedule. Tell your Dr that and that with the post op fatigue you feel the need for some additional time so that your otherwise great recovery is not set back by jumping into a hectic schedule too quickly.
Unread 11-17-2006, 08:32 PM

I was due to have my 6 week check up yesterday but my appointment was cancelled because my doctor is in the hospital herself so I got an extra week off. I will happily take that extra week because I still don't feel even close to being 100% yet. When I called and told my company I couldn't work when I was set up to, they didn't say anything except that it was to bad I couldn't.

Depending on how I feel when I go see her, I may also ask her if she will restrict my work to part time for the next week or two. I say if you need it, by all means ask for it. I don't see how your company could complain if your on restrictions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2006, 09:06 PM

My Dr asked me in the begining if I wanted 6 or 8 weeks off. I told him 8 since that would have me back after the first of the year. My company can't have me come back until my Dr is sure I am ready. So if you are not ready yet then ask for the extra time. I have heard many are off 10 weeks or more.
Unread 11-18-2006, 09:26 PM

My Dr told me 8 weeks from the start and I was glad to take it. I was doing fine at 6 weeks but it was nice to know I had a couple more week before going back to work.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register