Vertical or Horizontal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vertical or Horizontal Vertical or Horizontal

Unread 11-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Vertical or Horizontal

What are the differences in the two incisions? I mean, obviously, I know that one is across your lower belly and one is up and down, but what are the benefits to one over the other? Is it just a matter of a scar that won't show as much or is does it have to do with healing or pain or anything? What does the doctor use to determine which one he will do?

Question number two-I've read a few people on here talking about their belly buttons. They don't cut through your belly button, do they? Yikes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Vertical or Horizontal

A vertical incision is sometimes harder on the woman than the bikini cut. My mom had the vert and could NOT wear zippers for a few months. Also, the incision is much longer with vert. BTW - it does not go through the belly button but around it.
The bikini is considerably shorter incision (usually) and with being lower is not AS affected by garments incl. waistbands.
Every woman is so unique in healing that some will have just as much difficulty with a lap or vag as a vert. abdominal surgery - unfortunately there's really no way to know in advance on how you'll heal or how much pain you'll have.

Often the vert. incision is reserved for really large uteruses that cannot be removed any other way. An enlarged uterus, large or multiple fibroids, extensive endo, or cancer are common reasons for a vert. incision. HOWEVER, many drs. find a way to get things out the bikini line, lap, or vag.
Unread 11-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Vertical or Horizontal

Thanks! I'm supposed to get a call back from the nurse tomorrow telling me if mine will be vertical or horizontal because I forgot to ask when I was with the doctor.

I know my uterus is full of fibriods, but I don't think it's that much larger than normal. My cyst, however is giant, bigger than a cantaloupe and fully contained within my ovary, according to the doctor. I don't know if they take that out whole though or drain it and remove it. I know he is doing a full cancer check and possible staging. Does that make a difference in which cut they use?

Thanks for all the help!

Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Vertical or Horizontal

I had a 7cm (about 3.5") dermoid cyst on my ovary. They removed all of it vaginally with lap assistance.
Unread 11-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Vertical or Horizontal

I just had a vertical incision two weeks ago due to huge (15 cm) fibroids that just couldn't be removed any other way. I actually have a very modest incision I feel, four inches, and it doesn't even come near my bellybutton.
I had a horizontal incision many years ago,
and I'm not finding the vertical one to be any worse. The only difference is that there is usually (so my GYN says) thicker scarring on
vertical incisions than the thin bikini line ones.
Hey, I'll take a thick scar if it means I won't be bleeding anymore !!
Unread 11-21-2006, 06:34 AM
Vertical or Horizontal

I have a horizontal incision (about 10 inches across) and I have found the only thing that bothers me are underwear. They hit just where the incision begins and it is uncomfortable. I bought bigger underwear before surgery but am finding that even those are hitting me wrong.

I think I should have drawn a line and said, Doc you can cut anywhere but here.

Good luck.
Unread 11-21-2006, 07:13 AM
Vertical or Horizontal

I had the vertical because of the possibilty of cancer said it is easier for them to work with & they get a better view. I find the low waisted sweat pants are great. The dr. also said it takes a little longer to heal with this cut. Because it was precancer..they were not sure how they were going to cut. He was still debating before I went into the OR. He had gone back and forth in my previsits. I guess the onocologist decided before surgery.
Unread 11-21-2006, 07:42 AM
Vertical or Horizontal

I have a ten inch vertical incision that veers a bit east around my navel. I was told I would be having a vertical so my Doctor could see everything she needed to while operating, and also my left ovary had swollen to 10 cm. (I could feel it just inside my RIGHT hip bone pre-surgery ICK-POO). I was sent home with an abdominal binder, which I wore about all the time until yesterday when I felt more comfortable about having it off.
From what I was told, 'draining' the cyst was NOT an option, as they didn't want any of that fluid leaking out. It could cause something called "jelly belly".
I bought underwear FOUR sizes too big, and I'm glad I did. I can pull it up high enough so that the band doesn't rub on the top of my incision. Can I get an "AMEN" for Erkel pants??
Unread 11-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Vertical or Horizontal

Well, I haven't got the call yet about which they will be doing, but considering my cyst goes all the way up above my belly button and has stretched my ovary that large, I'm going to guess that I'll be having vertical. And yes, I can definitely feel my cyst. My doc didn't give me a centimeter estimate, but said it was much larger than a cantaloupe. I still don't know how my other doctors missed something that size.

I can't believe they are going to lift this huge thing out without draining it, but if that's the safer way to do it, go for it. I'm just glad I won't be awake to see it.
Unread 11-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Vertical or Horizontal

I hope my answer doesn't do more harm than good. I was very reluctant pre-op to read too many descriptions of surgery.

I had an abdominal vertical incision that extends above my belly button. It goes around the edge of the belly button which was poking out with my very large belly preop, and then continues in straight line about an inch above. Post-op, my belly button is now a deep cavern! I was very happy to have this type of surgery because it meant the surgeon could get a really good look inside and make sure there were no additional problems. I had very large fibroids.

I have had a great recovery. I'm nearly 4 months post-op and feeling good.

Best Wishes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register