Severe Dysplasia turning into CANCER | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia turning into CANCER Severe Dysplasia turning into CANCER

Unread 05-30-2001, 09:42 AM
Severe Dysplasia turning into CANCER

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and I have a concern that is eating me alive! About 5 months ago, I had the LEEP procedure to remove a portion of my cervix invaded with moderate to severe dysplasia. The doctor was sure he got it all, because the margins were all clear. I had my first post-op pap test which again came back bad. A colposcopy & biopsy revealed a NEW development of severe dysplasia. My DD feels something about my immune system makes my body prime breeding ground for this virus, so a hysterectomy is necessary. No cancer has developed yet. He doesn't seem to think I need to ruin my whole summer by jumping right into the surgery, as long as I have it before the summer ends. I asked him point blank if there was any chance the cells could turn cancerous within a month or two, and he said "NO". I don't know how he can make such a bold guarantee. Any thoughts? I am also struggling with whether or not to keep my ovaries (if they're healthy), given my immune system deficiency. I really don't want to do this again! Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom. This website is such a comfort.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2001, 10:15 AM

Hi, Terri! Welcome!

So sorry to hear you're having a tough battle with this. I did well with it for quite a while having a periodic procedure to keep it under control, then after 2 years of normal PAPs one suddenly came back with severe dysplasia. After a biopsy and LEEP my doc suggested a hysterectomy, but he gave me only a month to schedule it within (and I had to literally beg for that). I think he was somewhat alarmed that I went from a normal PAP in September to one with severe dysplasia in December. He also found some on my vaginal wall, so when my hysterectomy was done part of my posterior vaginal wall was also removed. I have to say I was very glad to get it done and get those cells out before they turned cancerous. Other "sisters" here have not been so lucky, and I know that you will hear from them soon. Please feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're all very happy to help out in any way we can. Good luck making your decision, and keep us posted!
Unread 05-30-2001, 11:17 AM

I was diagnosed with carcinoman in situ. In other words it was cervical dysplasia after my first biopsy. The doctor told me that he wanted me to have my surgery ASAP, which I did. I had no desire to play with this or keep it in me for any longer than I had to. I don't believe that there is any real chart that says how fast any type of cancer grows, considering that we are all different. As for the question of your ovaries, you really do need to discuss this with your doctor. You will have to consider your age and your past medical history as well as family history. I kept my ovaries since they looked fine and I had never had problems with them before. Just remember that this is your body and you need to make your own final decision.
I also wanted to welcome you to the site. Please join in with the posts and feel at home here. Never hesitate to ask a question, and if you have problems with the site, know that you are welcome to email or PM any of the hostesses for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-30-2001, 02:22 PM

Hi Terri (((( hugs))))), now , I don't want to fighten you and please remember that this only happens to 5% of women....... here is my story.

April 2000 I had a bad pap . May 2000,I was sent to a gyno. who did the usual colposcopy and biopsy. The results were severe dysplasia/CIN3. He then performed a LEEP and the pathology came back that CIN3 present in margins, aggressive , invasive pre cancerous cells. He suggested a hysterectomy. At that time I was renovating our home and I asked my gyno if it would be OK to wait until August to have the hysterectomy and he said that was ok as long as I had it done within the year. So I had my hyster in Aug of 2000. At my 3 mth checkup there were still precancerous cells present so laser was performed in Feb.2001. Then another smear and still cells present. My gyno then sent me to have a second opinion and surprise it was a gynocological oncologist . She perfomed an upper vaginectomy in April of 2001 and unfortunately the results came back saying that I had micro invasive cancer stage 1A present in the vaginal cuff and wall. Now I am having radiation treatment. Hope fully this will kill all the cells.

I kept my ovaries because I was only 42 and they were healthy but I hear that the radiation will kill them. I too have a depressed immune system and also HPV, which goes rampant when the immune system is low. At the moment I am taking lots of vitamins to build my immune system , to be able to fight this.

As I said before my precancerous cells were classified as aggressive and invasive and what has happened to me is not common, but I often wonder if I had my hysterectomy as soon as the cells were found and not waited,would they have turned to cancer. Now I wish I had it done then but I cant go back and change things. So here I am......

Please remember that this is my experience and any decision that you make must be your own. We are always here to help and comfort you. Sending you a big Take care and please let us know how you are going . x x
Unread 05-30-2001, 05:33 PM

Hi,

My experiences with paps, colposcopies, and a cone biopsy were similiar to yours. I had the cone in april and the pap done in July came back abnormal again. When my DD called in Sept with the results he suggested a hyst and said it should be done within 3 months. I asked him if I could wait until after the holidays and he said OK. They scheduled it on Jan 5th, which was his first surgery day after the holidays. The path came back showing CIN3 high on the cervix. My DD told me I was lucky, as it would have been hard to find with normal procedures.

I've read Robyn's story and there are similiar stories on eyesontheprize.org. Although your dr is probably right that it won't turn to an invasive cancer sooner, I wonder why you would wait if enjoying your summer isn't high up there on your priority list.
Unread 05-31-2001, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Robyn, Em, Cyd and Jeanine. Robyn, you reinforced what I already knew deep down. If I delay on this thing and invasive cells are found, I will always wonder if my procrastination made my situation worse. I coach a girls' softball team, and I was hoping to see the end of the season, but seeing my kids grow up is so much more important. I can't tell you how comforting it is to hear the stories of ladies who have been through the same thing I am going through now. You are such inspirations! Robyn, you are so brave. I hope you can draw strength from all your sisters here. I love reading all your posts. I know I can handle anything that comes my way with all your support. You ladies are truly s! Love to you all!!
Unread 05-31-2001, 06:57 AM

Hi Terri Jo:

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I wasn't diagnosed with dysplasia. I went right to invasive cervical cancer. My gyn just saw some abnormal areas that he took biopsies of (under magnification) when I had a colpscopy. Results came back positive. Scheduled an appointment with oncologist less than 2 weeks later. It had grown so much in that time the oncologist and nurse could see it with their own eyes. Doctor guessed it to be Stage 1B (he ended up being correct).

I really wasn't given the option of waiting, but I don't think I would have if the circumstances would have been different. I hated having my surgery in June (I'm looking at almost a year since surgery). It ruined my birthday, our vacation, and I wasn't able to help around the farm for the next several months--that part was almost a plus. But hey, I'm here. So what if it ruined one summer out of many. I plan on being here for many, many more!!!!!

I'm not trying to be an alarmist or give advice, this is just my own personal experience. I just wonder though, if the doctor was given those same circumstances (assuming it's a woman), would they wait?

Can't give you any advice on the ovaries. I didn't have the option, and I really didn't care.

Good luck with your decision. Please keep us posted.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register