bowel preparation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bowel preparation bowel preparation

Unread 11-29-2006, 12:46 PM
bowel preparation

This may sound funny or maybe it is just my way of dealing with the surgery, but my biggest fear right now is that I will have to go on diet: bowel preparation starts Monday, all liquid food and god knows when I will have real food. I am not overweight, I am thin, somebody would say little starvation shouldn’t worry me but it does. I've had few surgeries in the past and I don’t remember the pain that much as I remember starvation> I couldn’t wait to start eating real food! So that is what I am doing these days – cooking eating like crazy…Did anybody else felt this way? Or am I a total nut case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2006, 01:37 PM
bowel preparation

I was worried about doing the bowel prep and clear liquids too! I love food, am of average weight (not skinny, but not obese). I tend to get cranky and jittery if I don't eat. I also am a caffeine junky. I drink several diet Pepsi's a day. I did okay with the clear liquids though. I used jello, regular mountain dew (for the sugar and caffeine, although I am not sure if it is really a clear liquid) and my husband got me some of the sipping soup from our local Japenese restraunt (I just didn't drink the mushroom and green onion). That seemed to satisfy me through the day. Although, my surgery was scheduled for 9:30, and by 1:00, I was getting hungry. Good luck!
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM
bowel preparation

Thanks,

I still don't know the time of the surgery, have to call on Monday. I am hoping it is going to be in the morning, otherwise I am going to get very cranky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
bowel preparation

I have my prep kit too, but its not for to loose weight.
Unread 11-29-2006, 10:19 PM
bowel preparation

The preparation isn't "fun", but really -- isn't all that bad, either. You're so busy taking care of stuff that you probably won't notice it.

You can have all of the clear juice (apple, white grape), broth (beef, veggie, or chicken) and other things on the list.

Here's my favorite trick: Make "sparkle" jello. Here's the recipe -- take your favorite color of jello -- orange, lemon, lime, raspberry (doesn't matter) - and dissolve it in 1/2 cup of boiling water. After it's dissolved, stir in a 12-oz can of ginger ale or lemon-lime soda. One-half hour later, stir gently. Then let it chill in the fridge as normal....I promise that this is a step above regular jello.

Alternative #2 -- make your Jello with 1-3/4 cups of water, not 2 cups. It's a little "firmer" and gives you the illusion of chewing!

:group; I promise, the bowel prep is over soon. You'll be back eating real food in just a little while.

MJ
Unread 11-29-2006, 10:24 PM
bowel preparation

It's not so bad, really. After surgery, you sleep a lot anyway. By the time you're truly awake, they're feeding you.

Lena
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:53 AM
Agree Bowel Prep no fun

This was one of those things I was wishing I would miss out on, but alas I must purge. Worst yet I am diabetic so I asked my doctor whether she was sure she wanted my blood sugar levels so extremely low when I come in the next day. I know that right after the morning between 10 and 12 my sugar levels drop low. I don't take my metformin until after my exercise because of this. After exercise it is anywhere between 80 and 100. That's too low for me. I get the shakes. So she agreed that I could eat up to noon if I wanted, but with everything I have read dropping meat from your diet and eating more vegies and fruits a couple of days beforehand can really help you afterwards. I've decided I'm going to try that and back off the meat starting today.
Whatever you decided to do, I can understand your angst to having to starve for a day or two until you can eat. I don't like the idea either.
God luck and know you are not alone.
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:15 AM
bowel preparation

Heliona,
The bowl prep will not make you lose weight because it's water and fecal matter being flushed from your body. It's better to eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and high fiber foods like whole wheat breads. Less in = less out. High fatty foods and other heavy foods can cause more gas and pain with the bowel prep. I ate a lot of jello to keep my stomach feeling full and using a spoon and bowl was more satisfying then just drinking from a cup. Clear chicken or beef broth would be good to give you a hearty "taste" of food. Watch out for fruit juice 'cause it's really high in natural sugars and can make your blood sugar do wacky up and down without anything else in your system. I really thought I’d be starving but I wasn’t because I kept well hydrated and my tummy never felt empty. Never peed so much either…. :P You probably won't be too hungry for a few days after surgery because of pain meds if you take any. I know you'll do great!!

Good luck,
Becky
Unread 11-30-2006, 04:33 PM
bowel preparation

Howdy sisters,

I have my pre-opt tomorrow and that's when I will be more informed about the do's and don'ts. I was wondering, what does the doc do during the pre-opt appointment? Will he examine me again? Can I have sex tonight....knowing it will be a while until I can divulge in the pleasure again. The count down is on and I'm as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. Lordy, lordy.
Smiles....TXdesigner
Unread 11-30-2006, 04:47 PM
bowel preparation

My doc did not examine me on my pre-op appt, but I'd be back the next day for a bladder test anyway, so he saw plenty. TexanDesigner honey, you know your body and your doc. If you think he'll examine you, then make sure you're clean as a whistle inside and out if you do decide to have one last horizontal tango.

Lena

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register