TVH... general questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH... general questions TVH... general questions

Unread 11-29-2006, 01:45 PM
TVH... general questions

Hello~

I would like to start off by saying what a great site this is and how much my nerves have been calmed by reading some of the forums! Thanks all you hyster-sisters!!

I have a couple of questions about my possible TVH. I say possible because my Dr. is not sure if he will be able to do that way until I am in the O.R.

Question 1. How long of a hospital stay is it when you have TVH.

Question 2. Do you have a catheter in after surgery even if you have a TVH?

Question 3. Is there still a lot of pain from sitting and laying with a TVH vs. TAH?

Just a couple of questions that have been on my mind that I haven't seen answered yet.

Thanks again and look forward to sharing my results with you all and helping future hyster-sisters. I am only 27 so this is a bit overwhelming for me!!

Thanks again!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2006, 02:38 PM
TVH... general questions

Welcome Sista!!
I had a TVH Sept 22 and I recovered very quickly. At 5 weeks I was cleared by the Dr for everything!!!. Everyone's castle stay is different. My surgery was at 8am ,I woke up from surgery at 8:40am. Yes you will have a catheter mine was taken out at 2pm with no pain at all. I was home sitting on my couch by 4pm. It did not hurt to sit or lay down. Like I said I reocvered very quickly, I was up and out of the hopuse by day 4. They gave me pain meds before I went home and I had a nurse on call all weekend if I needed demerol. I didn't need it at all. I don't regret my decision and I certainly don't miss the periods.

Keep Smiling
Edie
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:39 PM
TVH... general questions

My TVH experience was: I only stayed in the hospital overnight, I didn't have a catheter after my surgery, and I didn't have any pain laying down but I would get a little sore if I sat too long.

Be sure to ask your doctor these questions because they are all just as different as we are.

Best wishes!

s, Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2006, 07:57 PM
TVH... general questions

Question 1. How long of a hospital stay is it when you have TVH. I had LAVH as well as bladder repair and was discharged 23 hours after surgery.

Question 2. Do you have a catheter in after surgery even if you have a TVH? Yes, and it was removed a few hours after I woke up.

Question 3. Is there still a lot of pain from sitting and laying with a TVH vs. TAH? I had no real pain after getting home though I did take pain meds for about 36 hours just in case. When I stopped, I had no pain at all so figured I must not have been needing the meds.

Keep firing the questions! The only way you can have a realistic expectation is to get all the info you need. And we all asked tons of questions too! Best wishes ~
Unread 11-29-2006, 08:17 PM
TVH... general questions

Thanks for all the help so far!! My only other question or bit of advice is this. I have a 3 year old and a 21 month old at home do you think I should ask for an extra day in the hospital to be safe and get the extra rest I need vs. coming home right away and possibly do something wrong?

Not sure what to do... my insurance company said the length of my hospital stay is result of medical need... not sure what to do!!
Unread 11-29-2006, 08:28 PM
TVH... general questions

I had TVH 10/6. Surg. was at 2:30 p.m. Fri, catheter removed following morning. I was home by noon Sat. Maybe I'm just a baby but I did have pain afterwards. Mostly from chasing after my 2 yr old. Well meaning people tell you to just lay around and rest but we know that won't be possible. I honestly think that if I would have had a week without kids, my recovery would've been a lot easier. If your insurance will allow you extra time and you are comfortable, I would see about staying in the hospital. I was ready to go home as soon as I woke up though. :-) I would definately find someone to stay with you the first week or find a friend or family member to take your children for a while so that you can recover. You can always send them home or ask them to bring your kids back if you are feeling up to it. Don't be afraid to ask for help. This is not the time to be supermom. I went back to work at 4 wks. and was pain free finally at 5 1/2 weeks. I have no doubt that had a been childless, it would've been more like 2 or 3. Good luck! Get all the help you can, it'll be worth it in the long run.
Unread 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM
TVH... general questions

kbro78 is right about reality versus the "ought to" part. I only have a pup to let in/out otherwise everyone is self sufficient. You will probably want to have some help with the little ones even if your situation is smooth sailing. After all, you'll be just plain pooped for a while (which reminds me of the stress of the first BM). If the doc thinks the additional night can be justified and you have childcare and want it -- then by all means ask! If there is one thing I've learned, nobody can read our minds and won't know you want an extra day unless you ask. We all do have different progress schedules so plan for the worst, hope for the best, and then you'll likely end up somewhere in the middle but without all the headaches because you planned properly.
Unread 11-30-2006, 06:30 AM
TVH... general questions

I had a tvh on Oct 23rd here in Canada.I am 41,was in the hospital for 3 nights,released on takeing xstrenght tylenol and tylenol 3 for nighttime. I wasn't allowed to use stairs for 2 weeks,drive for one month,and I go for my 6 week checkup on Dec.4th. The recovery was fine,hurt more then I expected,Vagina very sore..Felt like I gave birth to triplets the first week.I couldn't sit without useing a pillow under me for 2 weeks.Everyone is different,,but get your rest,,and look after yourself as told too.You only have this one recovery period.I have listened to my body,because I didn't want to develop infections,or end up back in hospital.At 3 weeks I went shopping with hubby,and cried the way home,I was so sore..But at 5 weeks now,I feel like myself,still get tired,,but feel GREAT..and no more periods...I stress to you,,to look after yourself,,,,,,take care and good luck
Dakota11
tvh for enlarged uterus filled with fibroids,heavy periods for years,and cyst ruptured on ovary...was able to keep both ovaries
Unread 11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
TVH... general questions

I guess it is so very true when it comes to one persons recovery vs. anothers... wow!!

I think it will be interesting to see how mine is and I will keep you all posted!! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I am ready for my castle day to come but I need to do some last minute Christmas stuff first because I don't think I will be up to it after surgery!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register