Anyone out there have a child with Autism? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone out there have a child with Autism? Anyone out there have a child with Autism?

Unread 12-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Anyone out there have a child with Autism?

My 3 year old son was just diagnosed with Autism. He has started preschool special education at our local school. He is also going to speech and OT therapy.
Even though I knew there was something "different" about him compared to my other 2 boys I guess I wasn't ready to be told there was something really "wrong" with him. I have known for about 2 months, but I still feel sad about it.
My husband blames himself because being active duty military he has had to have Anthrax shots. He blames it on that.
I don't really feel it is out fault he is this way, I feel he is my special boy and we deal with it as it comes.
I just wanted to know if anyone out there has a child with Autism and how you and your family has delt with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2006, 08:32 PM

I'm sorry for the late reply: I just now noticed your post

While I do not have a child with Autism, my DS, now 15 1/2, was diagnosed with "Pervasive Development Disorder - NOS". As you probably know, Autism is just one of the disorders in the PDD spectrum, as are PDD-NOS and Asperger and a few other, rarer, conditions.

I know just how hard it is to come to terms with having a child that is different and is diagnosed with such a serious condition I also know just how rewarding life with our special child can be I think that the mother of an autistic child described it best:
  • It means living with a lot, almost daily, mournings
  • My child may not get there at the same time as others, using the same paths, but he'll eventually get there.

I think this is a very realistic description of what life with these children can be like

((((sweetie)))) Do take time to grieve and do sit back and write down everything that is positive about your child. That has helped me, a lot, when I thought that there was no way I could go on.
Unread 02-03-2007, 10:26 AM

I, too, do not have a child with autism, but I do work with children who have autism. I can tell you that there are varying degrees and many, many children with this grow up to be functioning adults. Just keep your chin up and know that God gave you this child for a reason!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks!!!
Unread 02-04-2007, 11:11 AM

I am an OT and work with preschoolers with delays, including Autism. I would advise you to read and ask as much as you can. Please get hooked up with parent groups, they will understand how you feel. Tell your DH that it is not his fault, it is nobody's fault. Try to get some information on Sensory Integration either online or at the library. Please don't despair, you are not alone, and your child can grow and acheive.
Unread 03-05-2007, 06:48 PM

I just joined. I have three children on the spectrum. Tori is 5 and was dx two years ago with Autism and ADHD, Richie is 3.5 and was dx with autism and apraxia almost a year ago. His twin sister, Maddie (3.5) has been dx with PDD-NOS and social anxiety disorder. Take a deep breath. You can do this. It is a challange but the rewards are tremendous. Early intervention is key. I do not know what the laws or services are in your state. But the first place, besides school, I would go to the states Division of Developmental Disabilities. See what they have to offer. It took my husband almost a year to come to grips with our oldests dx, just about the time the next one was dx. His cooping stratagy was starting a blog. You and your husband are more then welcome to read about our journey. www.stinkysplayhouse.blogspot.com My way of coping was just jumping in head first to get the services my kids needed. They recieve speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy, feeding therapy, habilitation(life skills), and respite(babysitting). Please feel free to contact me in any means possible. I am a mentor for newly dx families in my state. I would love to reach out and give you a hug.
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Autism

Hi Ladies! I have been posting for a few weeks but I did not see this post...I missed it somehow. I am so sorry! I have two children, both boys who are diagnosed on the autism spectrum. I have a different perspective than some of you as I am on the other side (if there is an "other" side). My boys are 17 and 22.

I have spoken at a university here in my town to upcoming regular ed teachers regarding autism spectrum and what they can expect and things they can do to help families going through this. As well as how to welcome and include children with this diagnosis into there regular ed. classrooms.

The best I can say is that after we pass through the grief and broken dreams and expectations, we find extreme joy in raising these amazing children. It is rough and tiring and downright overwhelming at times. But I would not trade them for the world.

God Bless all of you
Many Hugs
Teench
Unread 03-05-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teench82
But I would not trade them for the world.
I totally agree!! I even said that very same statement when I did a local news story on autism and my family a couple of months ago. I look up to you. I know I am in the young stages, but am always looking to what I will have to face in the future.
Unread 03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
child with autism

I missed this too !! I have a son with autism as well. He is 13 and lower/middle functioning. He goes to a special day school here, he really couldn't handle public school but is thriving in this one. I agree I wouldn't trade him for the world ! He makes me smile every day and I have made some very good friends myself through him. Please find a parent group, they will be your saving grace! Even your oldest friends and family will not really understand what you are going through. And find humor in everything, it helps! Also found out after he was diagnosed (at 2.5) that my hubby has Aspergers. Let's just say it's a fun time here! Talk about a literal household! haha
Keep your head up, stay involved in his school, with a good relationship with his teachers...I swear they try harder if they like you! Celebrate the small stuff!!
If you need to talk, we are all here!
Wendy
Unread 03-25-2007, 01:19 PM

I'm so glad to find I'm not alone! Here's my story.......

I knew from the time my 3rd child got on his hands and knees there was something different. He would rock non-stop. He would bang his head into everything and anything. I brought it up to his peditrician...I was told he would grow out of it. As he learned to stand, he found new things to throw his head into, including window and sliding glass doors.....still I was told he will grow out of it. The fact that the only words out of his mouth was baby babble and mama and dada till he was 3.....that was normal because he had two order sibling doing the talking for him.

Now, by the time it was time to get him ready for kindergarten he was still 4. My oldest was 10 and was slightly hyper, but didn't need meds. My daughter, who was 8 was seeing a psychiatrist for ADHD because she couldn't control herself at all!!!! In kindergarten...her hobby at naptime was running around kicking kids in the head and when she didn't get her way at home....she didn't throw toys.....she threw kitchen chairs at me!!!! So, I had my hands full! So, knowing all this I told my peditrician I was not going to let my son start kindergarten without help and be labeled the bad kid. So, he started seeing the same psychiatrist and was put on adderall too. As the therapy sessions went on my son would describe in great detail what was going on in his head. The daily battles between his good brain and his bad brain. The doctor said he had never heard a 4 year old be able to describe in such detail what he was going through! Meanwhile......he started school, turned 5 and what a disaster. He could not handle it and neither could the school. I pulled him out in Novemeber. After several months of seeing his doctor, he was diagnosed with Bi-polar disorder. Consequently, because of that he decided that was what my daughter had too! (Now, I'm not sure!)

For 5 years now, we have been battling. We have moved several times and have tried to learn what sets him off. Every time we go somewhere new of start a new school year I have to explain what and what not to do. I have to explain to every teacher that he needs structure, no surprises. I warn them if you surprise him he will react and it will be violent. Mostly to himself. He is still rocking (he even has a permanent knot on the top of his head from it). Especially when he is upset or in the car. He doesn't have many friends and when he makes them he can't keep them. He was actually getting physically ill in his school. He hated being there, thought everyone hated him. He would run out of class and lock him self in the bathroom. I recently removed him from that school and put him in a small charter school. He feels better, but he still begs to be home schooled where he can be by himself. He has threaten to run away to make my life easier and recently tried to kill himself. This is my 10 year old baby!!!!! We were so frustrated. He sees a therapist, a psychiatrist and takes an anti-psychotic! WHAT MORE WAS THERE!

There was my neighbor, a wonderful lady working on her major in psychology who had worked with autistic children. One day over coffee, she told me she didn't want to over step the bounds of our friendship, but she thought the doctors were wrong. She asked me if I had ever heard of Asperberger's. Of course, I hadn't. She told me it was a form of autism. I immediatly told her, he's not autistic!!! So, she pulled out her books and showed me the spectrums. She said she had been observing his social skills in the neighborhood and listening to me. She said just please bring it up at your next appointment. I wasn't going to, until I happened upon a women in a chat in a game I was playing. She just happened to bring up she had Asperger's. I was shocked! She was completely normal! I had been chatting with her for at least an hour about our families. I couldn't believe it, she was married and had kids! That wasn't the autism I knew! So, next appointment, I told the doctor. The doctor was intrigued! We had never really talked about anything but his rages and our fears of him hurting himself or someone else. We have spent the last few months talking and researching. I did the diagnostic questionairres. This Friday, his doctor said I think we are right!! I know most parents are devestated by the news, but I was relieved. We are changing his meds, he had to stay on his Risperdal until the Prozac can get into his system, but I am hopeful. We now think that the rages are the result of the anxiety and depression the poor little guy has been going through all his life!

I have been trying to explain it to him in a good way. He asked me last night....."They were reading a story in school this week, some kids were crying others were laughing. I wasn't doing anything, I didn't feel like I had to. The kids wanted to know why. Is that why?" I almost cried. I have told him that this is what is making it so hard for him to have friends, but we are going to help him. But, there are good things too! Like is OCD on Frogs....he knows everything and anything! Or the fact that he has a desire to be an architect, we told him it could help him be the best.

But, what frustrated me......I saw the signs years ago! I told the doctors I trusted, WHY didn't they see it? Why was everything I said....NORMAL? My little guy has lived with the stigma of Bi-polar for 6 years. And you have to tell people, they have to know so they don't just think you have a bad kid. But, instead, I always got the look...so your kid is crazy! I have read so much over the last few months. The rocking and the speech delays...it should have been a slap in the face to my peditrician!

So......that's my story. It's a long one, but it's also 10 years in the making!! I wish I would have been more informed about autism. The only thing I ever knew of autism was the worst case scenerio. There needs to be more info out there and doctor's need to be more informed!

Thanks to anyone who has listened to my story. It took alot of me. Alot of tears, but alot smiles! I would love to listen to anyone else!!

Keri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register