SOOO Scared date set for 12/28 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SOOO Scared date set for 12/28 SOOO Scared date set for 12/28

Unread 12-14-2006, 07:53 AM
SOOO Scared date set for 12/28

I am a 43 yr old smoker with 2 cysts in my uterus one is 8 cm and the other is 3 cm. this is going to be my first time ever being in the Hospital. I am so scared of it all and being paranoid has caused my BP to go up. I am taking antibiotics for a sinus infection that I did not know I had. I am scared of the anethesia because I have never been under. I read that more people die from it than in car accidents so it has me just a nervous wreck. am smoking more to help relax and it's not working... I have been told that because I smoke that I may have a hard time coming out from the anethesia and that it may cause me to have blood clots... OMG I am just sooooo scared... Some one please talk to me.... Thanks Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2006, 08:15 AM

Your fears are perfectly normal. We seem to be able to conjure up the worst case scenarios and scare the pants off ourselves.

I smoke too, and had no problems at all with the anesthetic. I was given shots, (name escapes me), afterwards for a few days to help prevent clots, but my roommate didn't smoke and she got the same thing as me.
Unread 12-14-2006, 08:24 AM

They say it does have something to do with the lungs and anethesia, but not quite sure what. I have never had any problems and I smoke. Hope to be able to quit after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM

Take a moment and breathe....I am 2 weeks post op today from my TAH and doing pretty good. I am also a smoker (pack a day) and had never been in the hospital or put under before either. Trust me, the waiting is the worst. I waited almost 2 months before I had my surgery and the last week I was going crazy with "what if's", it's all normal. I did not have any problems waking up and I didn't even nap that much my first day. I could care less about smoking in the hospital but I lit up as soon as I got in the car to come home! You will be fine, keeping busy helped me through it prior to going to the castle. I wish you well!
Unread 12-14-2006, 09:53 AM

It's carved in stone around here somewhere - the waiting IS the hardest part by far! I smoke a pack a day, and had no trouble at all. When you do your pre-op, be HONEST about your habits so the anesthesiologist is aware of your smoking (I also told mine 'in person' pre-surgery when he came in to say 'hi-bye cya later'). As far as blood clots, they gave me Coumadin in my IV during surgery, then we also get the inflatable footie thingey to improve our circulation. It was like getting a foot massage!!

I won't tell you not to worry - that's impossible. Just know that what you're putting yourself through now IS much rougher than post-op! Best wishes!!

Diane
Unread 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM

Hi Icmmas. I know how it feels to be scared of new things. I went to the hospital once for a DNC in September. It was the first time I had ever had any type of procedure in a hospital and the first time being under. I was so nervous in the hospital waiting for the surgery. They gave me something that helped me relax. After that I was ok and chilled out until they rolled me in the OR. They explained all that would be done and told me I would be fine. They put the oxygen mask on me and next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room. Going under was like being in a deep sleep without dreaming. When I woke up I thought Wow its over already. I didn't even realize that I had fallen asleep. You'll be ok.
My prayers are with you

34 TVH on Jan.2
Unread 12-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Hi - and I'm glad to see you're going to the castle on the same day as I!

You will be just fine - write your questions down and talk with your Dr. Let him/her know of your concerns, they should talk you through whatever is on your mind.

Know that all the sisters here will be thinking of you and praying for you!
Unread 12-14-2006, 02:06 PM

I don't smoke, so I can't really help you there, but this will be my 5th surgery in my life. My first one was when I was 6 years old! My next one was a laproscope at age 22 for endo, then a tubal March 2004, then another laproscope, D&C, hystereoscope, and ablation March 2006 and now the hyst next month. I get nervous every time and it is normal!
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:56 AM

Thanks Sisters! I do feel a bit better knowing that there are other smokers that have had no probs with the Anethesia. I am hoping I won't. The countdown is here now 13 days to go and I am hoping that it goes by fast to get it over with. Wish my Mom was still here to help coax me through it...I don't have any other family to go to for reassurance... Thank you all for everything and for being here.... Lisa
Unread 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM

You have plenty of family, here, lcmmas!
Lots of sisters who are here for you with any questions or concerns! I haven't been here long myself, but I have already learned that this group is very understanding and caring!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register