Question about pain medication | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about pain medication Question about pain medication

Unread 12-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Question about pain medication

Question about pain meds. I was released Thurs. 12/13 with 30 Percoset tabs and told to take 2 every 4 hours. I had a really bad day yesterday and my daughter, a RN, asked me why I wasn't taking 2 tabs every 4 hours. I told her I was going to run out before Monday. She told me to take 2 anyway, so my pain wouldn't get out of control.

She also advised me to take 800 mg of ibuprophen. However, I can't because of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel. I can only take Extra Strength Tylenol. [obviously, not with the Percoset]

Now, needless to say, I am out of pain meds. Today I held off from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. without taking one and then, took my last one. Would you call Monday a.m. for a refill if you were me and still experiencing pain? I don't want to seem like a wimp or someone who is trying to stock up on pain medication.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2006, 12:06 AM

Hi yearbookadvisor!

No medals are given out to people who suffer by denying themselves the opportunity for pain relief. If you think you need medication of any kind, please contact your doctor ASAP. Unless you have a medical history that involves chemical dependency issues, I can't fathom why a medical provider would question your request for additional pain medication.

That being said, I think that you may find that your pain lets up soon naturally. Based on my own surgical experience, I found that by day 6 post-op, I was able to manage without taking anything. Maybe you'll reach that milestone yourself by Monday.

Many s to you,
Unread 12-18-2006, 06:19 AM

No need to suffer with the pain! You cannot heal properly if your body is using up its energy trying to manage the pain. Pain causes you to be tense and have anxiety. You need to be able to rest. I say definitely put that call in to the doc. Around 2 weeks I called for a refill and got it, and now at 4 weeks, I still take a half of a vicodin at night after a long, busy day. Take good care of yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2006, 07:26 AM

If you are in pain, call your doctor. When your pain is not controlled, your body has a harder time recovering. You are very early in recovery and should concentrate on pain management.
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:42 AM

Thanks ladies! The way I feel right now is worse than last night due to no meds, so I am definitely calling!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register