Doctor says it "might be" permanant swelly belly??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Doctor says it "might be" permanant swelly belly??? Doctor says it "might be" permanant swelly belly???

Unread 12-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Doctor says it "might be" permanant swelly belly???

My second opinion doctor (who is also running several tests at this time) suggested to me while I was in her office that it might be possible for the surgeon to have cut a nerve during surgery which then relaxed the abdominal muscle wall and now the abdominal "distention" could be a permanant thing. Has anyone else heard of this? I have lost weight since the surgery but gained 5 inches around my abdomen and gone up several pants sizes. I am wondering if anyone else's doctor says that this muscle relaxing thing is true and how come no one mentioned it before the surgery if that is the case???

So thankful to have other sisters to ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2006, 09:05 AM

Hi! I'm sorry you are having this problem. I wish I had the answer for you. I'm only a few days out from my surgery and I still have a very distended belly myself. I hope this isn't a permanent problem for you. Please keep us posted on what you find out. Best wishes to you and Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-19-2006, 01:21 PM

I appreciate your response...and I wouldn't worry if you are only a few days out, I have read time and time again that they swelly belly lasts for quite some time. I hear though, that it goes DOWN with time, while mine is getting significantly larger I am a little more than 6 months out from my date, so I will keep you posted, but keep your head up, you have a ways to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Mine comes and goes. I went to my office christmas party 3 weeks ago and wore this very close fitting evening dress. Belly was nice an flat at the start of the evening and everyone said how well I looked. I wasn't planning on staying out late but after a few glasses of wine I settled in for the night and ended up still partying at 3am. Well, I actually gained 6lbs of fluid overnight and had a huge swelly belly - very nice in the party frock!!! The belly went down over the following 2 days but it was facinating stuff.
Unread 12-19-2006, 03:05 PM

I've not heard of permanat swelly belly but there's a first for everything. I'm just amazed that it's not me for once Sorry your going through it. Mine seems to be swelling more all the time too. I'm hoping it will go down as Gizark's did. But oh well, I'm shopping thrift stores for some clothing that fit as I've been living out of my overalls.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
I think your swell what ever size you are
Unread 12-19-2006, 09:29 PM

The doctor did a CT which came back ok, so they don't know why the continued swelling. I am getting bigger and bigger without going down in between. It is a concern. I hope there are other sisters who know something about this!
Unread 12-19-2006, 11:43 PM

Hi Singing Rabbit,

My surgery date isn't far off from yours and I was having similar symptoms - worse swelling in month 4 and 5 and 6 than in month 2 and 3! What the heck!!!???

My surgeon and my gyn-onc both said everything checked out as "normal" and my GP suggested we check and see if I had any food sensitivities that could be aggravating the "inflammatory response" to the trauma of surgery.

Long story short I'm on week 4 of a wheat-free diet (no change in daily caloric intake - just leaving out all wheat products) and my tummy has finally started shrinking! Digestion and Elimination are working better, too.

Anyway, maybe it's an avenue you could ask your doc about...food sensitivities...just a thought...

Best of luck!
Unread 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM

I'll check it out! THanks for the hint
Unread 12-20-2006, 03:17 PM

There is a great site here to inform you about swelly belly. I am 7 months out I go to the gym I watch what I eat I was a size 7 before the TAH and now I am a size 14 so my belly will fit comfortably in my pants. I heard it takes a year do I believe that? no. And at the end of the evening or if you are to active or eat to much the belly does get worse. I also had all the tests, Cat scan, MRI, Colon tested and some more but seems there is nothing wrong with me. My Gastro told me it is fluids and air inside of me. My GYN says nothing at all about it.

Janet TAH BSO
Unread 12-21-2006, 07:17 AM

(((singingrabbit)))
I have never heard of what your dr has described, not that it couldn't happen. I know that some women take a whole year to heal. I was one who took every bit of eight months at least. The swelling can just be a sign of that.
Here is the link to the Swelly Belly Help article mentioned above. There might be some additional information for you there.
I hope you'll find that in a few months this will be getting better. I would recommend a good support pany if you haven't tried one. In the article they talk about the need for added support and I found it to be helpful for me. It might keep your tummy from swelling so badly. Just don't get it too tight. Good luck.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register