diagnosed with cancer after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

diagnosed with cancer after hysterectomy diagnosed with cancer after hysterectomy

Unread 12-20-2006, 01:59 PM
diagnosed with cancer after hysterectomy

went to visit doctor yesterday - 3 weeks post op and was informed that they sent out something from surgery - came back cancerous. SAid that he removed most of my cervex except for the part he attached to the graff of the bladder suspension. So he needs to take the rest of it out. At first I thought he said that is where the cancer was and then he said he was speaking with gentlemen from pathology place that it was in the lining of my uterus. I am so confused and of course in shock. Doctor said I can leave it in or have it taken out - why would I want to leave cancer in my body. Said he will go in the same incision and it will be nothing like the initial surgery. Wants to do it right away and will redo his schedule and have his girl call me with a date. My bestfriends brother (who is a doctor) said it is localized so that is good because i wouldn't need chemo or anything like that. All my tests priot to surgery Paps etc were all good so what is up with that. If any of you could share any experinces or knowledge with me I would be deeply grateful.

Thank you in advance for your support.

darlahans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2006, 06:30 PM

darlahans - I'm so sorry that you have to go through this.
Ask for a copy of the first surgery report which should give you more information than you got from your doctor. It may answer some of your questions. There are other ladies on this site who are unbelievably well versed on this topic so I bet they'll have some experiences or advice to share. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Unread 12-20-2006, 08:01 PM

Hi (((darlahans,)))
This has to be a big shock for you and I am sorry you have to go through another surgery but of course it is important that the cancer was discoverd and thus can be taken care of.
I do understand that cancer of the uterus can go undetected sometimes although usually there are symptoms like unusual bleeding or spotting and then testing may at least indicate suspect cancer.
If your doctor is not a gyn/onc you may want to get an opinon from one and have her/him review the path report;some doctors will send the report to another pathologist for second opinions. You also want to know what stage and grade the cancer was and this should be in the path rport; these are important factors that weigh into any decision re whether further post-op treatment is needed.
Also may mention that It is not unusual for someone with pre-op dx of "complex hyperplasia with atypia," which is considered uterine pre-cancer, to learn following surgery that the grade and stage are indeed higher/more serious than the pre-cancer testing showed.
As you have learned, often surgery alone is the cure and based on what you've been told this seems the case for you. I'm wishing you an uncomplicated second surgery. Pls come back to give us updates.
s,
peggiesue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM

Hi Darla,
I know what a shock this must be! And it doesn't sound like you have a lot of information about type of cancer, stage, etc. Peggiesue's advice is excellent. Please make an appointment with a gyn/oncologist before any further surgery is planned. Do not let a regular gyn do any further surgery. When you have cancer, or even pre cancer, you need a cancer expert, not a baby and birth control expert.

No one can say that it is localized, or not localized, other than the doctor who did the surgery and performed the biopsies. No one can tell you what other treatment you will need until the cancer has a stage and grade. A gyn oncologist should be making all of these decisions, once he has reviewed the pathology reports.

Women who have gyn/oncologists do their surgeries have much better outcomes. Even if you have to wait a bit for an appointment, please consult a gyn/oncologist before you do anything else.

Hang in there, you'll get through this and in a few weeks you'll be good as new!
Janie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register