Please help me understand | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me understand Please help me understand

Unread 06-03-2001, 10:08 AM
Please help me understand

As most of you know i have been dx with endo, fibroids, adh. Now i find out that my pap biopsy came back Mild squamous cell dysplasia, CIN1... I am still waiting to be approved for my hyster for the other junk in my trunk! What am i to do now? I am tring not to over react because i was told that it is very commom for a woman to get cervical cancer. I was told it is very treatable! Is all this true? I have researched but i am still sooooo scared! How far and how long does it take for the cancer to grow? Is it growing as we speak? I am so tired of waiting on the ins. co. to ok my hyster.....What am i to do....
Please if i sound like i am whining, I AM!!!! I am so tired all the time, i hate it...What is the tiredness from...Probally my pain and stress! As all you other ladies have gone through...
I guess what i am asking is, Can someone give me answers! I am soo tired of worring!!!! Any help would be appreciated! One more question, I had a lap done 2 weeks ago, would that show cancer any place else???? Thank you all for your time!!!! Peace to all...Love michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2001, 10:35 AM

Hi, Michelle!

Sorry to hear of all the problems you are having. But take a deep breath! If your PAP came back with CIN 1 you are a long way from cancer. Dysplasia is classified into 3 categories: CIN 1, 2 and 3. CIN 1 is mild, with only 1/3 or less of the cells in the "skin" of the cervix being affected. This is sometimes due to just an infection. It is very reversible, and sometimes will reverse on its own even without treatment. CIN 2 means that about 1/2 to 2/3 of the cells are involved, and CIN 3 (or carcinoma-in-situ) means that all of the cells in the "skin" of the cervix are involved. After that it starts to invade the body of the cervix, or is cancerous (some call this CIN 4). It's very important that you keep close with your doctor so that this condition can be monitored, but it is very treatable.

Take good care of yourself. Eat well. Meditate (I've read a lot of resources recently saying that meditating and/or praying is very good for us because it reduces our stress). Do what your doctor tells you. Try to relax. And come here to vent your feelings, concerns, and fears anytime you want. We love to have you as part of our group! Best wishes!
Unread 06-03-2001, 11:13 AM

Jeanine, My pap was abnormal, prior to my pap i had a high dose of antibiotics.... After that had a biopsy done for abmormal pap... wouldnt the antibiotics have taken care of any infection? The biopsy was done after.... Sorry for sounding stupid! The dd wants to do a cone..I am sure this is an abbreviation for something.... Some sort of scrapping i am sure! Thanks you for the info.... Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2001, 12:42 PM

Hi, Michelle!

It's just so hard to say, and every doctor does things a little different. I had several PAPs with mild dysplasia that my doc treated with a vaginal antibiotic cream then rechecked after 3 months. Most of the time my next PAP was normal. A couple of times it was not and he did a freezing of the cervix which then took care of it. Did your biopsy then also show mild dysplasia?
Oh, I just re-read your post to clarify. So, you had an abnormal PAP, then a biopsy. The biopsy showed mild dysplasia. Am I reading that correctly? Do you know what your PAP showed?

A cone is another type of biopsy. Your first biopsy would have looked at the outside of the cervix and maybe a little bit of the lower end of the internal cervix. A cone biopsy is more intensive and it removes the inside layer of the cervix (the whole length of it). My doctor always says it's like coring an apple. It's very similar to a LEEP, but in a LEEP they use a laser, and in the cone they use a scalpel. So perhaps your doctor didn't think that the results from your first biopsy made a complete picture with your abnormal PAP and he wants to get more information. Ask. You can never ask too many questions--that's what your doctor is there for. And the more information you have, the better decisions you can make.

My PAP came back "atypical" in November (it showed cells other than the squamous cells which are supposed to be there) with moderate dysplasia, but then the biopsy (external cervix) came back normal. So we went on to do the cone to get more information. So, really ask your doctor what's up and why he's looking more in-depth.

Feel free to keep asking all the questions you want. I always think just having information makes it less stressful. Take a deep breath. And start writing down the questions you have for your doctor so you don't forget anything. Best wishes!

Unread 06-03-2001, 03:03 PM

(((( hugs)))) Michelle

First of all please try to take a big deep breath and realx. Worrying is one of the worse things for the mind. CIN1 is in the pre cancerous stage , along way of from any cancer. Jeanine has described it wonderfully. Usually CIN1 can be caused by infection or changes to the cervix due to your age.
You must ask your doctor questions to find out why he wants to do the cone. Maybe he is being cautious. Cervical cancer is usually the slowest growing type of cancer can take years to develop into cancer, but of course when we hear that word we just want it out, NOW !!!! Mine was an abnormal type of cervical cancer and spread very fast , which only happens in 5% of women.

I can't really add to what Jeanine has said, but to give you support whenever you need it. We are here for you. Take good care and let us know how you go x x
Unread 06-03-2001, 04:22 PM

Hugs ((((Michelle)))))

As you know as I have replied to previous posts of yours, I think its just awful with what you are going through with the insurance Co.
So just posting to offer hugs and support for you .
I am sure the wonderful women who have posted here have eased your mind somewhat with what you are going through. They are super knowledgeable in CIN.
Keep after that bloody insurance Co. Perhaps hearing the words pre-cancerous will light a fire under their butts.
Love and Hugs sweetie!
M. xo
Unread 06-03-2001, 09:35 PM
Thank you

All of you are so special. As you have probally heard sooo many times before.
It is nice to know that anything can be spoken and what ever the problem or question, it will be delt with understanding and patients! To bad the whole world couldnt come to this special place of love!!!!!
Anyway, back to reality! When i seen my gyn he looked at the cervical biopsy results and said, "Now we are dealing with cancer"! Soooo My mom and I just looked at each other in shock.I couldnt even think, My dd grabed a piece of paper and started writting my pcp a letter of his concerns. (also the ins. co.) I was just caught off guard. He said that the next step would be a coning. But he would rather just give me a total hyster. But the ins. co. hasnt responded yet.
You know i get so DANG upset about the incompetence with the DANG red tape!!! But thats another story! When i am feeling better i will address that issue.
Sorry ladies i get side tracked easy now adays.
I will leave you now, I have blabbed enough. Tommorow i see my new pcp, Keep your prayers comming!!!!! Maybe he will be my ANGEL Thank you all and PEACE to you always Michelle
Unread 06-03-2001, 11:35 PM

((((((((( hugs )))))))))) Michelle,

cancer !! ?? What stage ?? You must be in shock. Did your Dr. say cancer or pre cancer? Oh gee, I sure hope this ins. company get their act together and approve this. Please know we are with you every step of the way and that there are lots of us here to support you and answer any questions you may have. Like Jeanine says , eat well and try to take a few mins. each day to just BE. Prayers are double for you right now. Take good care and please let us know how you are going . Love to you always x x
Unread 06-04-2001, 06:18 AM

Hello again, I just wanted to clearify that i have had a culposcopy!!! That is how the dd got my CINI results.... Does that help you ????Doesnt help me!!!!! Sorry i keep nagging on this but i am scared and confused! All my love michelle xxoo PS. Cant they see cancer through the lap??????
Unread 06-04-2001, 07:44 AM

Hi, Michelle!

I'm really confused now. Cancer and CIN 1 are not the same thing. So please try to clarify with your new doc which it is that you have. A colposcopy is just an exam with a high-powered microscope. The docs use a colposcope to look at your cervix and see which areas don't look right. Then they select which areas to biopsy. So a colposcopy must be done to take a biopsy, but you can have a colposcopy without a biopsy (if all the cells look OK they might not need to biopsy anything).

Anyway. I'm sorry you're having all this difficulty with your insurance. It gets so confusing when a bunch of doctors are involved this way. If it's cancer, your insurance will surely approve your hysterectomy pronto, but if it's CIN1 they may not. Please call the doc who did your PAP and biopsy and get some clear information on your status. How stressful to not really know if it's cancer or not! On top of your other problems too!

Best wishes, Michelle! You are in my prayers today while you go see your new PCP. Let's hope this one is understanding of your situation. Keep us posted!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register