How do you feel 2 months out? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you feel 2 months out? How do you feel 2 months out?

Unread 12-23-2006, 08:44 PM
How do you feel 2 months out?

Can you guys help me a bit? In all honesty, I plan to print this off for family who has said I should be "back to normal now", including a sister who is an RN. My words seem to sound like I am milking this, and cannot possibly still feel emotional, tender at times, or like I don't belong in this body.
What would you say to them so I'm not the only one saying it???? And those of you who are farther out....pleasea share, for me and for them.
For some reason when others say it it makes sense!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2006, 09:06 PM

I am back to work full time now after working part time since the week after Thanksgiving. After an 8 hour day I am cashed and not good for much more than sitting on the couch. My belly gets big by the end of the day, and if I do too much my abdomen is tender especially when I get up from sitting or laying down. And I am still quite weepy. I still can't wear tight pants.

Long story short: I am doing pretty well but I have no **** stamina. But I have to say that I have been one of the lucky ones with a very uncomplicated recovery (so far, knock wood). I have also been very good to myself, and not allowed anyone to shame me into doing more than I should before I was ready. It is amazing how quick some are to judge another's experience!
Unread 12-23-2006, 10:18 PM

I just passed the 12 week mark and having never had anything surgical done I am amazed at how wiped out I can feel. I am lucky to have gotten some extra time off work for phy therapy so I am not back full time. After a few busy days I have one where I don't get out of bed~! I got a really bad respiratory virus 3 weeks ago and that totally hit me hard. I think the combo of the hyst and illness has not helped at all energy wise. I ended up bleeding after sex last week so obviously things inside are not back to normal so why should everything else be!

I have really learned to stick up for myself in spite of those who imply I am milking things. I am still emotional (finally a little less so) really sore inside sometimes, get swelly belly at the end of the day, still have problems sleeping (either I can't fall asleep or I do and sleep 12 hours) and the lack of energy is so strange. I feel like a blow up decoration that leaks air and by the end of the day I am in a puddle on the floor. It just takes too much energy to stand upright!

I am so grateful for my phy therapist who has gone to bat to get me the time off to take care of the complications. I do NOT want another surgery...one was plenty.

Stand your ground and do what is right for you. That is something you will never regret.....not healing well is something you will! WE all do it differently!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2006, 10:37 PM

Deedledumplin, Only you can possibly know what is going on inside your body and your mind. My TAH/BSO was 3 days before yours. I am doing real well physically, although sometimes I think I am losing my mind! I forget things and do some pretty dumb stuff, like turn on the wrong burner on the stove and burn up potholders!!! I cry easier too (if THATS possible lol)
Most of us have an innate sense of what we can do without overdoing. It is easy to push too hard, but I think we know oops I shouldn't have done that. People can only make you feel guilty or bad if you allow them to. Stick to your guns, and do what you can.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Unread 12-23-2006, 10:52 PM

People shouldn't judge! Even people who have the same surgery on the same day will be at different places in recovery.

I am 9 1/2 weeks out, and this is what I tell people: I feel almost normal almost all the time. I rarely hurt, but I do still get tired more easily than I should. Emotionally, it's a whole other story. I am moodier than I used to be, even though blood tests say show my hormone levels to be normal (kept my ovaries). Some days I'm just nuts, and I can't help it. I can't change how I feel, and I can't fast-forward through recovery. None of us can, no matter how "tough" we are! I've finally gotten to the point where people can just deal with it if they don't like how I am.

Unread 12-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Hey deedledumplin,

We had surgery on the same day! My TAH/BSO was my first major surgery of my entire life!. I had previously birthed two children, and had two D&Cs. I totally understand what you are talking about. In the sense that my body is mostly functional, yes I am back to "normal", whatever that is. However there is another side to this, in the unpredictable emotional "surges" for lack of a better word. Days when absolutely nothing bothers me are mingled with days when I cry for no reason. Or days when I really needed help with something around the house, and no one seems to remember that I still am not supposed to be lifting heavy things. There is that choice again - do I risk hurting myself, or leave it until later.

I was completely post-menopausal, without HRT, prior to my surgery, and because of a strong family history of female cancers, I have chosen to continue without HRT.

The one thing that has unfailingly helped me is walking, every day, rain or shine. The few times that I thought I was "too tired" or "too busy" to walk, I wound up exhausted and droopy the next day. Then it took me a couple of days of regular walking to get back to my energy level.

I'm not a fitness expert at all, just an overweight 57-yr-young person trying to get back in shape. Before my surgery, I had begun walking and eating better to reduce my BP. It was working, and the added side effect of the walking was more energy, better sleeping at night, etc. The surgery just knocked all the wind out of me! I started walking again in the hospital, as required, and continued every day at home, but I had to start all over, walking just a few minutes at a time. It took me over a month to get back to my hour a day, and then I was walking at a much slower pace.

Someone actually asked me why I could walk an hour a day, but I couldn't mop my kitchen, or vacuum my carpet, or take out the trash. I tried to explain that walking only involved balancing and moving my own body, but mopping and vacuuming involved using my body for leverage to move the mop or vacuum against the floor - not the same kind of motion, and very easy to twist or strain without even knowing you are doing it. Today, at 11 weeks out, I vacuumed the entire ground floor of my house, for the first time post-op, in preparation for a family gathering this evening. By the time I had finished, I was sweating and ready for the shower. Pre-surgery I would have been able to do the entire house before stopping. The women I have talked to who assume I am back to normal are also the ones who have never had the surgery. The women who have walked our path respond very differently to the news that I have recently had a hist. , with great concern about whether I am being careful with lifting, and also the comment that it takes a long time to completely recover.

So, my view is that we have to do what we have to do, and no one else can choose our path for us. I will never, ever, be judgmental about someone else's recovery from any surgery, based on my experience. Everyone heals in their own time, and you cannot compare as the process is very individual.

Hang in there, ignore those comments from the uninformed, and good luck with your continued recovery!
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:52 PM

Deedle,
I will be 5 weeks out on Christmas day. My recovery has been textbook (no real complications at all). Everyday is a new adventure. Somedays I have an abundance of energy and I feel great, other days I am completely wiped out and cannot even function. I had the so-called simple surgery (LSH/BSO) according to my dr. and the recovery time should have been only two weeks. Not so for me. I am definately still in the recovery mode. I am dealing daily with all the issues that surround hormone replacement therapy and the struggle to get it right. In the past week I have gotten the stomach flu and the vomiting has caused me to have stomach cramping and bleeding again. Thank heavens that's over! Truthfully, some days I still feel like I have been hit by a truck. I sincerly wish you the best in your recovery. It is very hard for someone to judge you until they have walked in your shoes. I know that we all wish for that textbook recovery and I'm sure our friends and family think we should have that as well. This is a time for us all to find patience with ourselves and our healing. Good luck my friend.
Unread 12-24-2006, 04:29 AM

The negatives: My belly is still swelly at the end of every day and I'm worn out after a day at work. I find that I can not push myself the way I used to be able to and there is no extra uumph left for me to use.

The positives: I don't get my period anymore (LOL) and my anemia seems to be getting under control. My incisions seem to be all healed, inside and out, and I'm on the road to being "Me" again. And, on a personal note, hubby and I have been getting busy and having a wonderful and pain free time. But, I guess the biggest thing is the cancer is gone and I'm going to be okay.

So, my 2 month mark is Tuesday, 12/26 and I feel blessed.
Unread 12-24-2006, 07:48 AM

I'm 2 months out and I feel terrific. I can do almost everything I could do before surgery and more. I am back to a regular exercise routine (Billy Blanks Tae-Bo and Bootcamp workout), sex is better than ever; I am walking on my treadmill. I still can't lift more than 10-15 lbs. I tried to and hurt myself at work and had to go to the dr. I absolutely refuse to lift anything and one girl at work said she doesn't understand why I can't lift. She had a C-section 3 months ago and said that she was lifting her 8 lbs baby the same night. All I said, "Good for you," and I walked away. It takes our bodies all different lengths of time to heal and no one should be telling you when you're ok. Only you know when you're ok. And our internal healing takes a lot longer than we realize. I know I feel great and like I can conquer the world but I'm not as healed as I feel.
Unread 12-24-2006, 10:28 AM

I feel like my body was hit not only by a truck, but the truck rammed me through a wall as well.No real pain, but not back to work yet.TAH dizzy and weak all the time, seeing black etc. I see a regular Dr. on Weds for my symtoms. My ob said there is nothing wrong with me gynologially!! I did have blood drawn though and we will see on Weds.I felt brushed off by him and yes others do not get it. I expect my coworkers to be very caty when I come back.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register