Cervix removed - yes or no??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix removed - yes or no??? Cervix removed - yes or no???

Unread 12-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Cervix removed - yes or no???

For some reason I missed this piece of the puzzle all together. Is there a reason for removing the cervix? A reason to leave it be?? I do plan to have the ovaries remain (unless they see some obvious reason to remove them) but hadn't even thought about the cervix. I know I can feel this when making love - would removing it makes O's less likely? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2006, 08:25 PM

From what I understand, if you have a vaginal procedure, there is no way to preserve the cervix, it comes out with the uterus. If you have an abdominal, it is possible for them to leave it. I was also told if your cervix is left, you will have to continue getting your usual Pap smear. I've read on here and on one of the other hysterectomy support sites that O's will still happen, just not as intense. (???) At this point, I'm willing to give up a little of that in order to have a better life day to day!
Unread 12-29-2006, 08:40 PM

no more pads,
I didn't think to ask my doctor until right before my hyst. I wanted my cervix out since I've had a problem with HPV (non-cancerous) and didn't want to have to worry about it anymore. But, my Dr. just assumed that we'd take it out before I asked her about it. The O's are still good, different, but I'm not complaining. From what I've read on this site, you will probably still get mini-periods if you keep your cervix.
Monica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-29-2006, 08:49 PM

From what I have read it also depends on why you are having your hyst. I was told that with endo, the cervix should be removed. My doc is planning on removing the cervix and uterus and leaving the ovaries.
Unread 12-29-2006, 10:22 PM

I have endo. My doc left the cervix. He said that leaving it will help support everything else.
Unread 12-29-2006, 10:49 PM

Hi

There are reasons to keep the cervix and reasons to remove it for everyone. The cervix is actually the bottom portion of the uterus and not a separate organ. Some believe keeping it will help with pelvic support and intimacy.

Mine was removed during my TVH 2 1/2 years ago and I haven't missed it. Since I had fibroids, my doctor felt it was a good idea to remove it because fibroids can sometimes grow on the cervix. I haven't had any support problems and my 'O's are stronger and more intense now. That is only my personal experience. Everyone is very different.

You might find the Pre-Op Article, Keep Cervix? helpful in your research. Best wishes!

s, Deb
Unread 12-30-2006, 09:10 AM

m&m question for you...as my path from d&c showed polyps, were yours benign? they found polyps and inflamation in the sampling they took, but it was all benign but i know they can come back and that fear in addition to my other issues was my deciding factor to have the hyst.
POSSIBLE TMI WARNING:
other sisters- i will be talking with my gyn but i think i am ditching the cervix. i have WAY too much mucos each month and that and the possibility of minis is enough for me....take the sucker. also, my dh can "touch" it during intercourse and its very uncomfortable and sometimes painful for me. he likes it (very sensitive on tip of penis) and says he thinks he might miss that, but its ultimately my choice since it causes ME pain and lots of discharge. am pretty sure its going buh-bye :-)
Unread 12-30-2006, 09:26 AM

I had my cervix removed. I had a number of "inconclusive" Paps over the years - not cancerous at all but who knows what would come up next? Also, during sex sometimes dh would hit "the wall" we called it and that was painful.
Although we haven't tried things out together yet, I can tell you the "O" is still functioning just fine!
Unread 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM

have never had abnormal pap, but worried too about what might rear its ugly head later. glad to know i am not the only one whose dh can and does do that. thank you for your reply.
Unread 12-30-2006, 10:11 AM

My DH hits mine also. It doesn't hurt at the time, but the next day and for 2-3 days later, I have cramps from the orgasm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register