Passing time in the the hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Passing time in the the hospital Passing time in the the hospital

Unread 12-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Passing time in the the hospital

Just a quick question--what does one do in the hospital for two or three days? I've never been in the hospital (thank goodness!) and am scheduled for TAHBSO Jan. 30th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimbca
Just a quick question--what does one do in the hospital for two or three days? I've never been in the hospital (thank goodness!) and am scheduled for TAHBSO Jan. 30th.
I'm scheduled for an abdominal as well and have been told to expect 3 days in post-op as a minimum. That's assuming that everything goes as it should and I don't get an infection or excessive bleeding - in that case, it would be more. They want me in the night before the operation as well; I hope that this means I'm slated to go down to theatre early in the day.
Unread 12-30-2006, 06:34 PM

the only overnight stay i have ever had in hospital was after dd was born. i watched tv and played with her and all that so hmmmm waht the heck am i gonna do this time?? LOL probably rest alot, maybe catch up on some reading if i can stay awake. dh says he is staying the night the first night so that will be nice...maybe if you like to knit or crochet or cross stitch and feel up to it that would be something to pass the time???? Dont know just trying to give suggestions.

Good luck to the ladies going in less than a month! Blessings and prayers go with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2006, 06:40 PM

The first day and night you sleep, at least when Nurses aren't checking you. The second day they will want you to get up and walk a little, but the second day after surgery you will tire out quickly and you will nap often....Trust me the days will go by just fine. I took some magazines and books, also a portable DVD with some movies I wanted to see. I just got my Hyster sister book today, I wish I had it at the hospital.
Good Luck with everything and enjoy the time to rest...
Unread 12-30-2006, 11:04 PM

I had my surgery in the early afternoon on a Monday. The rest of Monday is pretty much a blur -- recovery room, back to the room, learn to use the pain pump, wait around to be able to have something more than just ice water on a little sponge...

On Tuesday, they came in and said my only job for the day was to get out of bed and walk a bit. They really meant that, too. I did finally get up a few times and did a lap around the nurse's station. I was on a liquid diet by the end of the day -- jello, sorbet, tea, juice. The nurses helped me do a sponge bath. I was still on the pain pump, and honestly -- it was all I could do to run the remote control on the TV. The day went by quickly. Tuesday night, I chatted a bit with my roommate (who turned out to have been a high-school classmate of my mom's, believe it or not!) and my dad brought my kids in to visit me. I was on a semi-soft diet -- got to have mashed potatoes with butter, pudding, applesauce, and ice cream.

On Wednesday, I got to take a shower, and I walked alot more. I finally felt "with it" enough to read a magazine. But until that point, I didn't feel I needed to pass time -- I was hurting, and all I really wanted to do was lie in bed and watch TV. On a full diet that day -- I ordered a wonderful lunch (including a vanilla milkshake!) and a great dinner.

By Thursday morning, I was feeling fairly well, and it was time to go home.

Hope this helps. By the time I felt I needed "something to do" in the hospital, it was time for me to come home.
Unread 12-31-2006, 12:02 AM

I took a puzzle book, but never even touched it. The first day was nothing but sleep except for those terrible nausea moments. The second day I slept off and on and did get up a time or two once the heart monitor came off. (I had a little cardiac incident during surgery so they put me next to ICU on all the monitors). Day 3 I finally got to to be in a regular room but between the pain and the difficulty moving I didn't even want to do anything. You can always watch tv or take a book to read.
Unread 12-31-2006, 01:37 AM

All I wanted to do was sleep, and go home.
Unread 12-31-2006, 02:07 AM

Day 1 - Surgery at 7:30am did not get to room until 5:00pm rest of day in and out of sleep and pain rest of night and early next morning a blurr - DH stayed with me and said I woke up long enough to push pca pump and knock myself back to sleep.

Day 2 - Doctor and resident came in to check on the amount of pain and swelling I was having - found out I had a hematoma. Had me pressure bandaged and abdominal binder. Had me stand up just to weigh me. Started me on some new drugs in my iv to help with the hematome and then back to mandatory bedrest until they could determine if the hematoma would resolve on its own or need more surgery. Spent most of day with my pca pump, DH and sleep.

Day 3 - Hematoma stopped bleeding, they did allow me to get up and walk my room once in the morning and once in the afternoon and then in the late afternoon I got to walk around the nurses station. By late afternoon I was visited by dr and her nurse practitioner. They decided to try to take out cath. and let me get up and walk a little more. Did great that night. Let me go home morning of day 4 with very limited activities. So needless to say you will probably sleep alot and maybe watch some tv at the hosp, do a little walking and maybe eat some nasty food.
Unread 12-31-2006, 09:02 AM
Passing time

I had emergency gall bladder surgery a few years ago, and because I had an infection, I ended up staying 4 days. The first day and a half were a blur, but after that I had DH bring me books. I'm not much of a daytime TV watcher, so I preferred my books over Oprah (LOL). Now DH will have to bring me books AND the reading glasses! I'm hoping this time I'm not there long enough to get bored!
Unread 12-31-2006, 10:50 AM

i had mine done on a monday morning and all i did was sleep. When the nurse would check on me i just gave her my arm and went back to sleep. All I wanted to do was rest, had the tv on but never really watched it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register