how much activity should you have | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how much activity should you have how much activity should you have

Unread 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
how much activity should you have

I am almost 1 week post op and just wondering how much I should be moving around. I haven't been much, but when I read others posts about how they have been going out for short stints I am wondering if I should begin to do more. Should I be going for short walks and stuff at this point, or should I still be laying around most of the time? I seen some people are starting the treadmill. I thought it was too soon for that, but should I be doing that? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Let your body be your best guide with how much moving you can do. Also, check with your doctor for recommended activity levels. My prescription was a minimum of 4 100-yard walking phases ever day for 2 weeks. In that first week, I figured I covered about 1 foot of ground with every step. So, every 300 steps, I covered about 100 yards (happened to be 5 laps around the house interior). I got up 5-6 times each day for my "Indy 100 laps". By the 2nd lap, my stride was naturally getting longer, so I stopped counting steps and just counted laps. Week 3 was my first time on the treadmill, and the fasted I could go was 1.9 mph. Don't feel rushed to the t-mill!

We're all different with how much walking we've done. This is what worked well for me. I still do my "laps" at least 3 times a day - more if I don't get outside for some fresh air and window shopping. I live in MN and the streets can be icy, so the malls and Super Target have become my walking paths.

Just avoid becoming "one with the couch"! But also be careful not to overdue - that has it's own consequences and will set you back!

Happy Moving!
Unread 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Here is a the Hystersister Checkpoint for where you are in recovery. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_postop.htm

My Dr. would have killed me if I was doing a treadmill one week after my surgery. I am five weeks out and he would still kill me. I am hoping when I see him next week he will allow a little more.

Take the time to let your body heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I am from MN too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee&Butterfly
I live in MN and the streets can be icy, so the malls and Super Target have become my walking paths.

Happy Moving!

I am from MN too! In como park/st.paul, how about you?
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:06 PM

(((Melissa)))
Like the others have said, we are all different in how we heal and feel at each stage of recovery. At one week I was mostly resting and taking short walks around the house. I didn't even leave the house until two weeks out. My body was telling me that loud and clear. Some feel much better than I did. This is where listening to your body comes in. There are some women who may rightfully need to do a little more. We all need to get up and do some walking, even if it's only for three minutes in a circle around our living rooms, then do it again in an hour. There are others who need to learn to delegate and take it easier than they are. I think recovering well has to do with learning that balance at each step of the process.
Don't do anything that causes pain or makes you overly tired. You'll find what that is for you. I hope you continue to heal well.
's, Rita
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm in Minnesota too

I live in the Stillwater area.

Found this "thread" because I was wondering how soon I can get back to work. My LSH was done on 12/22. Friday will be 2 weeks.

I went to work yesterday, 1/2/08 for abt 5 hours and it exhausted me! Today I could only stay for 3. The only pain that is bad is the gas/intestinal pain. And it's BAAAAAAD! I have tenderness in my lower abdomin and mild pain, but it's not bad.

I'm not vacuuming or lifting or doing laundry, or any of the other normal household duties. Trying to take it very easy so I can drive to work and sit at my desk and get some work done.

Am I crazy?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register