Update on me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:49 AM
Update on me

Don't freak out at what is written below ......I am doing well just now, it's just a horrible story.

I have been very very ill. I started to loose weight again (down to 40 Kg) I became weaker and weaker to the point where Stu had to carry me up and downstairs! Finally I became bedridden, confused, woulndn't take my medication and didn't even recognise my daughter!

Things were looking dire the GP advised Stu to prepare for the worst!

Then I had a fit in front of our children, my mother and visiting family! Luckily one of my aunties is a nurse and Stu gets First Aid training being in the Armed Forces. The fit lasted about 5 mins.

My eldest son dialled 999 and prayed for a quick response. When they arrived the paramedic crew wern't overly bothered about the fit but seemed more concerned about my 186 heart rate and weak pulse. Off to A&E for us!

Whilst being assessed I apparantly said I was 29 (im 38) and the year was 1996???? I was still very confused. Tests showed a very high white blood cell count and a Urine infection...........

They were WRONG!!!!

I spent 48 hours in hospital with a slight improvement, then home. After a few days there were no more signs of recovery. My confusion gone but lots of pain and a much heavier loss from below. We were all still worried and not convinced that this was caused just by a UTI. So Stu phoned my wonderful hospital in London the Royal Marsden. After the call the team were as concerned as us and I was admitted.

They were horrified at the state of me. Skeletal was an understatement! and I was so weak and unwell. An MRI showed no sinister changes on the initial glance over. My heart was a worry as my pulse was 137 at rest! They decided I was too ill to endure another GA. My bloods came back and it showed I was life-threateningly low in pottasium, magnesium and calcium! The consultant said I had come so far in my 2 year cancer battle that it would be horrific to loose me to something so basic!

The Marsden machine kicked into action. Lines in, drips up, pills potions all washed down with loads of TLC from the wonderful staff. I was given a portacath.

Within 24 hours I was back from the brink and alert and responsive. The gastro consultant at the Marsden want to investigate why I do not seem to be absorbing enough electrolytes from normal eating (they think it is related to Radiotherapy and some pancreatic disfunction) So they will now be managing me from here on in and we don't have to go to the other hospital anymore.

I am due back to hospital on Monday for more tests and investigations. I'm eating well and now weigh 44kg! I have a lot of swelling in my legs which might be part of the weight gain. I am taking daily suppliments of magnesium, pottasiun and calcium and may have to forever. But hey whatever! I'm alive!!

Happy New Year to all, I know i'm glad to see the back of 2006 .

Love
Kayla
xxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2007, 12:07 PM
good doctors

So glad they found out what was wrong with you. Agreed, it would have been tragic to lose you to something so basic. Get well fast!
Unread 01-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Update on me

Kayla,
It is wonderful to hear from you! I am sorry you had this recent episode, but am thankful you were able to get help. It sounds very scarey just reading this.

Please keep us updated. You are in my prayers.

s
Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Update on me

Kayla, I pray this new year brings new and wonderful changes to your health!!
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Update on me

Kayla, what a nightmare you have been through. I'm so glad you got to see the right doctors who knew exactly what to do. Taking daily supplements will be a piece of cake compared to what you've been through. I certainly hope that 2007 will be a fantastic year for you, with many more to come.
Unread 01-04-2007, 02:58 PM
Update on me

Kayla
Thanks so much for the update.
I pray that 2007 will be a very kind and healing year for you.

Cindy
Unread 01-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Update on me

What a terrible ordeal for both you and your family who must have been terribly worried.
So glad you have turned the corner and are back on the way to health! Trisha
Unread 01-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Update on me

Good to see you online again Kayla. My, you have been busy

I hope this is the last bump in the road for you, and that 2007 and all the years to come will be boringly normal for you and your wonderful family.

Unread 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Update on me

Kayla, I'm so sorry about that recent scary episode but happy that they found out what it was and took care of it. Let's hope you just get better and better and better now that they've straightened this out. It's great hearing from you.
Unread 01-04-2007, 06:09 PM
Update on me

s Kayla

How wonderful to hear from you, but what an awful experience you have been thru. It's good to hear things are going better and that you have a treatment plan to get your weight and levels back up.

Please be sure to keep us posted as you feel up to it....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register