hemorrhagic cyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hemorrhagic cyst? hemorrhagic cyst?

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

Hi there,
I'm really a long ways from my surgery - all went fine - but there's a recent development I wanted to share with you all to see if anyone else has had this exeprience. (It seems there's a lot of little "details" even the best docs seem to overlook, and this site has been great at filling them in for me).

About 3 months post surgery - LSH, kept ovaries - I started getting a "pulling" sensation, much like I'd had with the humungoid fribroids, but just put it down to my ovaries kicking in again post-surgery. So when it happened again a few weeks ago, I initially thought "ovulating again I guess"; except this time the pain ramped up and up until I vomited. Off to the local ER, where they thought it was a kidney stone but could only tell me, after eight hours or so, that it's a "mass" on my left ovary - 10cm x 5cm. Great. Slight panic. After more tests and a visit to the original surgeon the next day, it seems I have a hemorrhagic cyst. Apparently it will eventually be re-absorbed by the body; or if not (!) I'll need further surgery. Funnily enough, it turns out my sister had exactly the same thing happen to her a few years ago.

Now I'm wondering if there are any other hemorrhagic cyst sufferers out there? Is this more common than we're led to believe? Do you have any tips for those of us who develop these things?

Thanks. Wishing everyone a smooth recovery,
Catwoman44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 09:50 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

Hi catwoman44
I haven't had one, but I believe they are pretty common. If you do a search in the Ovaries Only forum you'll find quite a few posts on this subject. I found one for you where there was a good discussion of cysts. https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...morrhagic+cyst
I hope this is helpful.
's,Rita
Unread 01-05-2007, 10:01 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

I have suffered from those since I was about 17 years old. Sometimes they absorbed and sometimes they stayed for months and popped (which can bring you to your knees). The dr said that they ususally sluf off on your period but if they didn't they just got bigger. I had so many ultrasounds that I was on a first name basis with both the techs (seriously) I had ultrasounds in the last year every 6 weeks. On one occasion the tech hit one and it burst right there wow did it hurt. My sister had her first one burst on her a couple of months ago (she only has one ovary) and she freaked. She went to her dr and she confirmed that is what it was and wants to take her ovary out (my sister is resistant as she went thru alot when she had her surgery/reconstruction). She has decided to keep the ovary and when she hurts she says her best friend is the heating pad and the bed.
I decided to go ahead and let him do the BSO in addition to the LAVH because of my long history and the fact that he said I would have to continue getting the ultrasound as I would get multiple cysts on one or the other ovary. Hope this was helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2007, 10:26 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

During a CT scan ordered by my gastroenterologist because of pelvic pain last year, a pelvic "mass" was found. Yep, hemorrhagic cyst. Mine did dissolve on its own and did not burst, but I had to have a few ultrasounds to monitor it.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

I had a TAH where everything was taken. Initially, I was getting a CAT Scan to rule out appendicitis. They found a mass on my right ovary. The doctor wanted me to go back in for an internal sonogram. I got a call from my doctor saying that it could be cancer and I would need surgery. He gave me the Pelvic Oncology Surgeon's phone number and told me to call the first thing the following morning. I saw him that day and was told he didn't think it was cancer, but he didn't have a crystal ball and couldn't be sure until he went in. He mentioned that it could be a blood filled cyst because they look like a mass on both CAT Scans and Sonograms. To make a very long story short, I read on the web that they tend to burst, and cause a lot of pain and vomiting(just like you wrote about) and they typically have to do emergancy surgery over. I'm just glad it wasn't cancer. So that's what I know about hemorhagic cysts. I also had tons of fibroids and other cysts and I was very glad they took everything since my children are 22 and 24 and I am 50 and don't want to have anymore babies. Good luck!!!
Unread 01-06-2007, 07:13 AM
hemorrhagic cyst?

Wow. Thanks. I'm vacillating between gratitude to this site and anger that this is another example of a possibility that wasn't made clear to me at the time of surgery (the other was a seroma which developed and subsequently burst about a week post-op, giving me a Niagara moment that was a bit scary). Maybe I'm just being naiive to expect that women's health should be full disclosure?
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:08 AM
hemorrhagic cyst?

Hi there,

I had a hemorrhagic cyst back in April. Doctors can make a good guess that's what it is, but really can not say for sure until they go in and see and have it biopsied. My ovary had twisted and adhered to my uterus. I was in pain every single day from that. I had two on the ovary at one point, and then one burst (big owie!) and the other just continued to grow. You just have no idea what they will do and no doctor can tell you what yours will do. You'll just have to keep monitoring it to see what will happen.

Anyway, I lost my right ovary and tube because of it. My other ovary looked fine at the time, so he did not remove it. However, in 8 months time I had 3 cysts on my left ovary and pain once again. I think they started forming 2 months after the last surgery. I was so disappointed and had wished my doctor had just taken everything out the first time, but a good doctor knows that it's best to keep our natural hormones and it would not be their first choice to remove our ovaries if it can be helped.

Cyst formation is something I have spent a great deal of time researching and always looking for the "whys" That is one thing that can not be answered. Some women are just more prone to them than others.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I know how painful they are and your's sounds quite large. 10cm is close to the size of a grapefruit!

For me, I was so hoping to keep my ovaries, but the pain was more than I could handle. I don't know what would have happened if I had toughed it out a bit longer. Maybe mine would have burst and never come back. It's a tough decision to make. My mother died of ovarian cancer so I always had that in the back of my head when making the decision to have everything removed.
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:22 AM
What causes ovarian cysts?

I recently read in a book by a Houston doctor who specializes in hormones, that he believes ovarian cysts are a result of estrogen dominence (too much estrogen in relation to progesterone). He says he recommends women start taking progesterone in their mid-thirties,when estrogen dominence tends to begin. Is it true?... I have no idea, but I would have been willing to try it had I known about it. Who know - it might have prevented me from having my hysterectomy due to an "ovarian mass" that turned out to be a benign hemorragic cyst.
Unread 01-06-2007, 09:50 AM
hemorrhagic cyst?

I had a BSO for endo & I knew I had 2 complex ovarian cysts, but my path report also listed "multiple hemorrhagic cysts" on each ovary. (Nobody told me about those) Some ladies are quite prone to them. I hope yours resolves okay and hope you won't be a "repeat offender." Saying that this will be your last one.

s,
Beth
Unread 01-06-2007, 04:33 PM
hemorrhagic cyst?

I was found to have a hemmorhagic cyst at 3 week post-op. I had gone to the ER for bladder issues; the cyst was found during an ultrasound (i was asymptomactic-it was just happenstance that it was found). I was assured by the ER Dr that these types of cysts are normal, however was told to follow-up the following day with my GYN. He too assured me everything would be fine; he set up a repeat ultrasound 2 weeks later and sure enough the cyst was gone.

This of course is my personal experience. If you're feeling unwell, or need further reassurance from your DR, dont hesitate to get in touch with him/her.

take care
diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register