Worried about exercise after second surgery... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Worried about exercise after second surgery... Worried about exercise after second surgery...

Unread 01-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Worried about exercise after second surgery...

Hello ladies,
Admittedly it's been a while since I visited last... a few months probably. They've been busy months though, lol.

I had my hysterectomy, sacrocolpopexy and posterior repairs done the first time on April 6th 2005 for severe prolapse. Six months later, in October, they failed and I prolapsed again. My surgeon said it was due to a collegan disorder I have (that was unknown) and therefore, when the stitches disolved everything fell again due to the disorder not letting my body form scar tissue. Oddly enough this happened 2 weeks after I resuled exercising. (going to aerobics classes twice weekly). The surgeon said it was not anything I did, that it was happening anyway.

However, I still fear it was due to the exercise.
They redid my surgery exactly one year later, last April 5th, for sacrocolpopexy with 2 procedures rolled into one, and used permanent stitches. This was to guarantee that it would not fail again. They did not see any issues with the rectocele the second time, so they did not fix it with surgery 2.

For the entire month of October and into November I was in a lot of pain with gas, bloating, constiaption, etc. at least 3-4 times a week. I really feared it failed again, and honestly I believe the rectocele is back. I have to sometimes *help* bowel movements along, and have not returned to normal with bowel movements since the surgery... they have been far apart and sometimes painful, and require softeners and metamucil as well. I have not yet contacted the surgeon about this yet... I will, I was giving it time, I am also trying to return to school and needed that sorted out first before more surgery.

Back to my original point.... Over Christmas holidays I gained 5 lbs back of the 20 I had lost. I want to begin exercising again and lose the weight, along with about 20 more lbs on top of it.
I am afraid to start to work out again though.... how long did you wait before starting back at it?
I have been cleared since my 6 week appt to slowly begin again, but have not for the reasons I listed above.
Am I alone in this? Has anyone had luck with exercise after surgery? It's been almost 9 mths now, I should be over this fear, but am not. *sigh*

Any insight from anyone here, lol?
Thank you for listening to my long ramble if you made it this far, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Oh ((((Sweetie)))) I'm so sorry you've been dealing with all of this

I had a Stage III Rectocele repaired at the same time as my hyst and, for a long time, was afraid that I would prolapse again. Thankfully, the repairs are still holding up, 6 years post-hyst While my OB/GYN didn't use permanent stitches, he did use long-dissolving stitches in order to ensure that the repairs would hold.

I can understand how concerned you are at resuming exercising I would suggest getting back to it very gradually, especially since you haven't been exercising for such a long time.

In order to ensure that all is ok, you may want to check with your doctor about the possibility of Pelvic Therapy: I tried it for severe incontinence, due to the TVH, the very large fibroid and carrying (and delivering vaginally) two very large babies. It consists of using biofeed-back technology to both stimulate pelvic muscle contractions and monitor the efficacity of your contractions. My therapist believes that it would help if more doctors would refer women after this type of surgery. Among other things, PT helps to strengthten the pelvic floor. Furthermore, the therapist may be in a position to help you with resume exercise Most insurances refund the treatments when prescribed by a doctor.
Unread 01-13-2007, 02:52 PM

I second the pelvic floor PT. My Dr. sent me to one before my surgery. She taught me ways to lift and exercise while protecting my pelvic floor. Since my surgery I have been doing the things she taught me and I feel much less anxious about hurting myself than I think I would if I hadn't had the therapy before. We also discussed exercises that would and would not be good for me to do after the surgery and possible modifications to make things safer. Exercise that bounces and jars you is not the best idea. My Dr. told me running would be out after this surgery. He said bikes and elliptical machines would be good.

I haven't been released to exercise yet and am trying to be patient, but I also have some of the same fear. I DON'T want to mess this up and have to have it done again, so I am being very good. I have gained about 5 pound over Christmas too and anxiously waiting until I can at least start walking more. I am trying to be extra careful about what I eat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Thank you both so much. I will definately try to make an appointment withh my doctor and ask about the pelvic floor PT. I really am not sure how it will work insurance wise...being in Canada we have OHIP that covers most costs of necessary things, and the rest is your own responsibility. We don't have insurance through my DH's work, but perhaps this is covered already and I am just unaware.
In any case, thanks again for the information, very helpful to know to look into!
((hugs))
Shannon.
Unread 01-30-2007, 11:04 AM

I am new to this message board, but I found it while searching for some answers to exercise questions.After reading some of the answers I am afraid to start back running and jogging.It has been almost a year since my surgery and I have been told I can cause my bladder to drop.I guess the tramp,is out of the question.I loved to jump but I guess I can no longer do that.
Unread 01-30-2007, 06:22 PM

((((candy123)))) While it's true that we're more at risk for prolapse when the cervix has been removed, especially if, like me, you had prior prolapses, it's not necessarily a sentence to stop doing all those things you enjoy

Why not touch base with your doctor and ask about the risks of running, jogging and jumping in light of your surgery At the same time, you could ask to be referred for Pelvic Therapy: the therapist uses biofeedback technology to both stimulate the pelvic floor and monitor the effectiveness of your contractions. It's been known to help strengthten the pelvic floor

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register