Heart Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Posts from the Heart > Prayer Requests for Hyster Sisters

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heart Surgery Heart Surgery

Unread 01-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Heart Surgery

I haven't been here in quiet a while, so I have been doing good, 2 years next month. I'm not here for me, sort of, it's my DDDDDH!!!! He went in for a stress test and ended up in the Heart Center for an ECG. Now we have an appointment with a cardiologist on Wednesday, he probably needs valve replacement surgery, he'll be 43 next month.... this isn't right, he's been healthy, his doctor just 'heard' something that she wanted checked. I hold it together when I'm around him, we're going on strong like we did with my surgery but right now I could just curl up and cry and maybe puke first. When I was getting ready for my surgery he told me I couldn't die before him... I can't lose him and it's going to be about as hard for him go through this surgery and the recovery. I'm in a daze, they said his heart is very healthy even with the valve problem which is severe. I just feel lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Heart Surgery

(((Outwiththeold)))

I am so sorry your DH has been diagnosed with a heart problem and is possibly facing a valve replacement. I am glad, however, that they found it and that the rest of his heart is still healthy. I will be happy to say prayers for your DDDDH.

I know exactly what the "I feel like I need to puke" feeling is like and it's awful. My DS(16) has a congenital heart defect which will require a valve replacement and I feel sick when I think of him going through it too. For him, they have bought him more time by doing a valvoplasty. (They hope he can finish growing before the valve has to be replaced. )

When he was having his valve surgery I met a 13 year old girl in the waiting room that was coming in for a heart cath that day. She had received 2 heart transplants! I also met parents of an infant who had surgery to reroute blood flow in her heart because major components were missing. I was so scared about my child, but felt so reassured about what all they can do these days. How fortunate we are that these things can be fixed.

My DFIL just had his aortic valve replaced in October of this year at the age of 80! He was not in good physical shape at all - quite feeble, actually. They told him that his was at the 'critical' stage- a matter of life and death. In addition to extending his life, they told him the surgery might also improve his shortness of breath, so he wanted to have it. The surgery was rough on him, as any surgery would be on an 80 yo, but he did okay. It's been hard getting his strength back, but his breathing has improved dramatically and his heart is much better. He has had some post-op depression, but we were told that is to be expected sometimes. His cardiac and pulmonary doctors are pleased with the difference. Your DH is 43, which is young and he's healthier to begin with, but I also understand how it can be frightening to have heart problems at his 'young' age.

I'm sorry for being so windy. I just wanted to share that I know how scary the heart stuff is, and offer some reassurance that they can do great things these days. Sometimes it can seem surreal, like these things happen to other people. I'm sorry this happened to your DH and I will pray our Heavenly Father guides his physicians and comforts you along this unexpected journey.

My & s,
Beth
Unread 01-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Heart Surgery

Outwththeold,

I am so sorry to hear about your DH. I am sending you gentles , s and will keep you both in my prayers.

Father God, we are bringing Outwththeold and her DH before your glorious throne, hold her and her dh in your divine Spiritual embrace, as a result of what the doctor heard on his ECG, her dh will need to see a cardiologist, we are asking that you touch his heart, please mend and repair the damage, let it function normally, when he goes for his appointment, keep their stress and anxiety under control, let Outwththeold and her DH remain calm, help them to understand what is being said by the cardiologist, guide them to ask the right questions and let the cardiologist listen to their concerns, if any test are given, let them go smoothly and quickly, and the outcome be good, shower them with your Holy blessings, bring them a miracle, let your will be done, in your gracious name, Amen.

Outwththeold, may God keep you both in his Divine Grace through this difficult emotional time. Please keep us updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Heart Surgery

Outwtheold,
My prayers are with your family. I had my aortic valve replaced 18 years ago when I was 30. I was scared at the time because my kids were only 1 and 3. All went well and I feel better than ever. (other than the anxiety of facing my TAH BSO on Monday!) Stay strong and pray hard! God bless
Unread 01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
Heart Surgery

I've been researching and praying, although I didn't get the answer I wanted last week I'm still praying. I have found information clinical study for a new procedure and its very less invasive then open heart surgery, and you’re only in the hospital for a couple of days and they say in most cases you are back to normal activity in about a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s done with a little clip and a catheter to feed it there and do an edge to edge attachment of the flaps. At first all that I found were articles a couple of years old and it was only being done at a couple of hospitals, well that was phase one, I found information on phase two and it’s being done at more hospitals including the one that we’re going to (where I had my hyster). Of course it’s a matter of - is this is for his problem and if it is does he meet the requirements for the study and procedure and will he be selected or does he need full replacement. I am excited about this procedure being available at our hospital, it gives me hope. A lot of people have the open heart surgery for this and do fine I know but its so drastic and carries so much risk. I was, and still am, so on edge, this weekend I almost put a pizza slicer through the kitchen window because the pizza stuck to the pan then the next day I bent a cake pan because the lid wouldn’t shut over it. But at one point I had this calmness come over me that everything would be okay then it was gone, I wish it would come back, I still have a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat. What scares me is 4 years ago I was dreading the new year and really depressed, crying all the time, something told me the coming year wasn't going to be good. Then in february my uncle had a heart attack and died but I thought about it and knew that wasn't what was wrong for that year. Then a couple months later we found out my Dad had cancer and I knew that was it, where my feeling of dread came from. He passed away 2 months later. This past Deceber I had that feeling again and was depressed all the the holidays, I thought it was going to be my Mom but it's not. This weekend he was going over his retirement plans, telling me to roll them over for my retirement and to remember the life insurance he has, then he was trying to lighten the mood, telling me I'd probably go buy that big cruiser and be out on the water all the time.

Anyway, now my prayers are that 1) he is qualified for this procedure and 2) he is selected, 2 out of 3 are selected, the other 1 has the surgery.
Unread 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
Heart Surgery

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, Friday DH has a cardiac catheterization, 1) to check his arteries, doc want s to make sure there isn't anything else needing work so they don't have to go back in later down the road 2) to see if he is eligible for the study procedure. After that we meet with the surgeon on the 6th. It's going to be fast going to the surgery, probably within a couple weeks after the 6th. DH is doing better... sort of, he wants to get it over with, he was told that within a month of the surgery he'll feel better then he does now. I on the other hand have been having dreams that I lost him. But we're pulling through. Thank you
Unread 01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Heart Surgery

Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep you and your DH in my prayers. Hope all goes well with the cath on Friday and that no other problems are found.

Gentle s,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register