anxiety attack /progesterone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anxiety attack /progesterone anxiety attack /progesterone

Unread 06-05-2001, 09:31 PM
anxiety attack /progesterone

Ok you guys...what is up with this. I've been on EStratest for 2 years-started on full strength, went to half about 6 months ago(trying to get my singing voice back). Still was not right, so thanks to this site, I did my research and thought that another form of estrogen and progesterone would work better for me. Today I took the estrogen in the morning -had NO side effects and think it'll work great for me....but I just took the progesterone (it's nite time now) and I'm having ANXIETY attacks!!! I'm a mess. And scared-I have no idea what's up with this or if it's dangerous. Has anyone experienced this? Does it go away? I'm also kind of dopey-sleepy at the same time. HELP! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2001, 03:42 AM

Hi Singaroo,

Anxiety attacks can be caused by progesterone deficiency in some people, and it's generally thought to have a calming influence. In other people it can have just the opposite effect. It can also boost the effects of estrogen, which can cause problems of imbalance.

I think in your situation I'd be inclined to get stabilised on the estrogen alone to begin with for a couple of weeks, then try introducing a tiny amount of progesterone, but at that point cut the estrogen back by one half until you see what effect the combination has.

Anxiety attacks are the absolute pits! There's nothing worse. You'll survive, though. We all do. But I'd stay away from progesterone for the moment, if I were you.

Unread 06-07-2001, 06:06 AM

Hang in there! Everything will be okay! It sounds like you already know that something you've taken is causing your problem, and I can relate, because for me, it wasn't until my progesterone was cut down that I finally started calming down. I just sensed the worst everywhere, and I remember that when I first started on it - YIKES! Have you had your hormone levels tested?
Sending you prayers and hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2001, 06:32 PM

I'm not real sure what's causing the panic attacks either but one possibility is the morning estrogen may have lost its effect by nighttime and you may need a second dose of estrogen at night. But not knowing any details about your situation, I certainly cannot give you a good answer. Sometimes it depends on the progesterone you're taking. Was it compounded or is it Prometrium? Plus it can depend on the estrogen you're on, too.

I bet the panic attack is frightening and I hope it goes away soon. The progesterone is not dangerous and can be soothing in some cases. I think an adjustment needs to be made somewhere. Feel free to email me and we'll talk about the possibilities (with the help of your doctor).
Unread 06-07-2001, 07:02 PM
Anxiety attack-thanks for your replies

Hi all...
Well, I made it through the nite and the next day with a bunch of weird weird side effects from that progesterone reaction(it was prometrium 100mg). The Cenestin doesn't seem to bother me-but my Dr. told me to not take the Prometrium any more and cut the Cenestin in 1/2 (which is what my buddy SisterSue suggested I do!! Thanks!). I did better today but I'm so sluggish & feel like I'm just getting FATTER by the minute. I can't stop this weight gain!!! The testosterone in the Estratest gave me so much energy but again, it was killing my singing voice-and that's how I make a good part of my living! Anyway, the Dr. prescribed a different type of progesterone but I'm not going to start it until I get settled with the Cenestin. Man! I really hate this. I just want to be myself again. How bad would it really be if I just got off ALL this crap??? Ahhh...wishful thinking huh? I'm glad to know the Prometrium isn't dangerous though. I read everything so I was scaring myself with all the side effects listed in the instructions in the box...thought I'd die of a dang blood clot or something LOL!!! Thank you again for all of your advice and God Bless the creators of this site. I love you all!!! I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register