please share your surgical menopause story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please share your surgical menopause story please share your surgical menopause story

Unread 01-15-2007, 06:50 PM
please share your surgical menopause story

I have had LAVH kept ovaries for endometriosis. I am having a lot of problems because I am still producing estrogen. I have some options one of which is to take out my ovaries. I would like you to share your stories with me about surgical menopause good and bad. I want to get as much info as possible because I am leaning that way. As always, thank you for sharing these intimate details of your lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2007, 06:58 PM

I am one of the few who really have had no menopausal symptoms, and I do not use any hrt. They did take everything during surgery. But I am sure others will be able to help you more.
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:11 PM

I am 33! They took it all. I am on a low dose of estrogen and I am only 6 weeks out today and I am doing okay. I still get tired from the surgury and I still get hot flash now and again. I also get cold flashes??? I can go from frezing to AN OVEN OR FROM AN OVEN TO FREEZING VERY QUICKLY OTHER THAN TEMP NO PROB. Sorry about the caps, I did not realize I had hit the all cap key!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm only four weeks out from my surgery, but I can tell you for me, it hasn't been as bad as I expected. I do have night sweats and hot flashes, but so do a lot of sisters who kept their ovaries. I haven't had mood swings or crying jags or depression.

My doc prescribed the Ortho Evra patch for me, but since that has pregestrin and a high dose of estrogen, I haven't used it yet. I have my four week check tomorrow and I'm going to talk to him about it then and find out his reasoning behind prescribing that particular HRT. If he has a good reason, like supressing growth of abnormal cells or something, I'll try it, but if he just prescribes that for all his patients, I'm going to talk to my regular gyn and see what she recommends. Since my symptoms aren't that bad, I'm in no rush to start. I have time to explore options. And if I decide that the risks of HRT are greater than my discomfort, I won't use it at all.

I know some sisters have problems with depression or anxiety after surgical menopause, but I haven't experienced that yet. And there are medications besides HRT that can help with those problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide! I hope things work out well for you.

Judy
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:24 PM

I too had it all taken and at age 46 have never thought of this hot flash stuff. my Dr. told me all the pro's and con's about taking or not taking the ovaries. I chose to have them taken. I too just get the hot flashes and than cold. I am going to explore the natural way of dealing with this. For me the HRT like estrogen is too risky. Don't get me wrong tho, if I did not have a choice I would. One of the ladies suggested that I look at the hormone information on this site. It's really up to you on what you want to take. As far as your question tho I was not close to menapause and now I am. Big shock for my body but doing o.k. Good luck to you
Unread 01-15-2007, 07:40 PM

I had a TAH/BSO this past June. I haven't taken any HRT, due to endo. and related effects to estrogen. Once you get use to the hot flashes,(I have 10-15 per day) & the night sweats, it's so much better than all the pain , bloating and loss of blood each month. The lack of sleep has been the hardest part for me. I've never been able to sleep through the night, but it's even worse now. I'm trying to figure it out. With a little patience, no HRT can be done.
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Hi,

My ovaries were removed because they were encased in endometriomas. I am on estrogen because I can't function well without it (can't sleep, itchy crawly skins, crying all the time.) I feel so much better. I know it's a gamble, but I had to choose quality of life.
Unread 01-15-2007, 08:13 PM

Joey,

What kind of endo problems are you having? Is it back already?
Unread 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM

depends on your age, in my opinion.
of the hundreds of posts i have read on this site, it seems in general that those women who are closer to natural menopause, maybe around upper 40's and higher, seem to fare the best in terms of recovery and overall impact to their health.
those in their 30's and younger, in general (although there are always exceptions)... seem to have the most complaints and lasting problems after the ovaries come out (i am definitely one of the disgruntled ones with "ovary-envy"- wish i still had them!).
but of course it depends on your individual situation, everyone has a different trade-off.
it is good you are giving it serious thought.
Unread 01-15-2007, 10:05 PM

joeyanne,

I had my tah/bso March of 2006. I have had hot flashes and night sweats.

I tried different hrts and couldn't find the right fit for me. I am using naturals. It seems like I have found the proper balance for me. Occassionally, I do get hot flashes and night sweats.

I love my chillow it is a blessing for anyone with night sweats. It helps me to sleep like a champ.

Best of luck with your decision.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register