Waiting for surg sched | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Waiting for surg sched Waiting for surg sched

Unread 01-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Waiting for surg sched

I am currently waiting for my GYN's office to call me back with a date. I am looking forward to being done and moving on but a little concerned about a few things.

I am concerned about post surgery and a person in my family who cannot care for themselves. My DH can only take off a few days to help but I understand it will be a few weeks before I can lift more than a gallon's milk worth of weight. (This person weighs much more than that) I wonder if anyone else has had responsibilities that they have had to work out before surgery. Any ideas?

I work in the same hospital I will have my surgery in. Thankfully, my supervisor has already helped with the recovery room issue I was having. There is a male nurse that used to work in my department but now he works recovery. I DO NOT want him to be my nurse. She has already said that she will schedule herself for my care that day or at the very least another nurse.

Lastly (for now), my work schedule is 6 days on 8 days off. I was hoping to have the surgery at the beginning of the 8 days but the receptionist told me I would need more time than that before going back to work.
Any suggestions on how to plan?

Glad to have found you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2007, 12:50 AM
Waiting for surg sched

Hi and

We glad you joined us as you prepare for your upcoming surgery! After my TVH, I wasn't allowed to lift more than 5 pounds for 6 weeks. At that point I was told to ease back into any lifting as well as my usual routine. Is there anyone you can ask to help you care for your family member such as a family member, friend, neighbor, or church member? You can also check into services available in your area that might be able to help or direct you in finding help. I'm sure someone around here will have some ideas for you.

As far as going back to work, that will really depend on how you're healing and when your doctor releases you to do so. The average initial recovery period following a hysterectomy is 6 - 8 weeks and for some, they return to work before that point and for others, it takes longer. You should ask your doctor for his/her estimate of what you might expect.

Welcome again and be sure to put your hysterectomy date in your profile when you get it!

s, Deb
Unread 01-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Waiting for surg sched

You can pretty much count on 4 to 6 weeks off work, depending on the type of hysterectomy you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Waiting for surg sched

First I want to say that I hope that all works out well for you.
I am going through a somewhat similar situation. I am set to have my visit to the castle in 1 week. I go today for my pre op. My husband works very long hours.He will be home Thurs-Mon morning with me. He is on a kind off night shift 6p-6a. Although he is training the other guys that are on nights so he will still have to be available by phone and possible have to go in at some point. We have 4 kids (2 that aren't in school yet). My biggest concern is taking care of the youngest. The no lifting and all of the other restrictions. I am the sole keeper of the family..Kids, shopping, cleaning. Other family members are all working when I would need the extra help or they are otherwise unable.
That is great that you have been able to work out the issue with the nurse.Having the right or wrong nurses can make a world of difference in your hospital stay and begining of recovery.
Best Wishes
Unread 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Waiting for surg sched

Thank you for your kind words and warm welcome! I'm still waiting for the date. My Dr's office got caught in Denver with the weather and they are behind. She is supposed to call me today with a date.

Thankfully my supervisor had her surgery a little over three years ago. She is so completely supportive. I also have some sick leave built up so I don't have to sorry about that. The bummer is I have to use up part of my vacation time first. However, I was hoping that with a desk job I could get back a little sooner than six weeks.

I have to schedule a bladder test before my actualy surgery. Does anyone know what those consist of?

I will check around at our new church. This will give some folks an opportunity to know our family members. Especially the one with a disability. I certainly don't want to put it on my high schooler. She has enough to think about and although she should pitch in, its not her responsibility.

Thanks again for your help and comments. I'll post the date as soon as I get it! Have a glorious day.

Sidenote to srs1633: I hope you are taking time to take care of yourself this week!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register