tummy pillow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-20-2007, 05:40 PM
tummy pillow

My time is coming soon - January 30th... Been worrying up a storm. I will need some tranqualizers next weekend.... I saw on the list of things to bring a tummy pillow - what kind of pillow is this and what's it for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2007, 05:56 PM
tummy pillow

any kind of small soft pillow. I ended up not using it after a while cause it pressed on my vertical incision staples which made my tummy hurt more. I just basically used my hands. For me the biggest problem came from lying down to standing up. After a few steps gravity took over and I was able to walk without support.
Unread 01-20-2007, 05:58 PM
tummy pillow

I have a small Koosh pillow that I used. Any small pillow that you can put between your stomach and the seat belt on your way home will work. It also helps if you put it over your stomach if you have to cough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2007, 06:01 PM
tummy pillow

wal-mart makes a travel size pillow that is white with blue ticking stripes. they also sell little pillow slips for it. it's very affordable and is the perfect size to put under the seatbelt. the nurses will tell you to hold a pillow over your tummy if you cough, sneeze or laugh. you will only forget once! lol any size pillow is fine.

good luck!
Unread 01-20-2007, 06:58 PM
tummy pillow

The hospital may give you a pillow they did for me. After a few days it seem more of a pain to carry it around than use my hands to hold my tummy. Definitely use on the way home with the seat belt any sudden jerks in the car could be painful with the belt.
Unread 01-20-2007, 07:48 PM
tummy pillow

With Valentines Day coming up, you might look for a smaller heart shaped pillow. I found one last year for a friend that had a little pocket on one side. It was originally made to hold a card in the pocket. I thought that would be good for holding lip balm and maybe some gum, to keep it handy, especially while in the hospital. It seems I couldn't keep things together very well when I had my surgery. I have given one to a couple of friends, and they said they worked very well for them, for coughing and a seat belt protector. It isn't too big, but big enough. And it is a nice heart shape, which is comforting. After Valentines Day, I went to Wal Mart and got several on sale to keep on hand to give when friends have to have a hysterectomy.
Unread 01-20-2007, 07:54 PM
tummy pillow

That is a cute idea booboo!
Unread 01-20-2007, 08:22 PM
tummy pillow

Thanks ilv2so6-I forgot to mention that cough drops are also a VERY good thing to put in the pocket, also.
Unread 01-20-2007, 08:24 PM
tummy pillow

Thanks everyone. I picked up neat travel pillow today that I think will work. I just still wasn't quite sure what it was for. I have a lot to learn.
Unread 01-20-2007, 08:27 PM
tummy pillow

The hospital should help you get up and down the first time and show you how to do it. Hold the pillow against your tummy where your insicion site is. It helps support it. When you cough, laugh sneeze and maybe sometimes when you just talk you might want to hold it against the belly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register