A question I can't seem to find the answer to | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A question I can't seem to find the answer to A question I can't seem to find the answer to

Unread 01-21-2007, 05:39 PM
A question I can't seem to find the answer to

I've been reading articles about the size of the uterus - roughly pear-like in shape and size, from what I read, although mine is a bit bigger with those Napa Valley grape-like fibroids I got growing in there. Anyway, what happens when it's taken out? Do all the organs shift to fill in the space, or what? You know how you fixate on something stupid right before surgery? Well, this is my new fixation! Yesterday it was cleaning. Lost interest in that today for some reason! Any knowledge imparted greatly appreciated!

Joan a.k.a. Skier GRL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2007, 05:51 PM

OMG how funny! I have been so obsessed and fascinated with this very question ever since I had my surgery! My DH said "I think the other organs just backfill the space"....HAHAHAHA! That cracked me up!

I never found the answer to that question either, but it's kinda interesting to think about the bladder breathing a sigh of relief, the intestines expanding and the pancreas spreading out and thinking "wow, where'd all this space come from?"

Unread 01-21-2007, 05:52 PM

They sure do fill up the space - but you will never even know it - it not like they jump up and run over to the empty space.

Because of the napa fibroids - (I had a soccer ball) - the pressure off of the bladder and bowels is wonderful - and they like being able to relax. and not be pushed on.

What I could tell most was with my breathing - yes, mine went that high - and being able to deep breathe and only have the capacity limit me, not the fibroid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM

Hey SkierGRL, it's your Colorado commrade. You're scheduled in 2 days! Wow... how fast the time goes. My Hyst got moved back a week, so I'm Feb. 1 now. Well, just wanted to stop by and say "hi" and to say that I hope everything goes really well for you. I'll be thinking of you "on the other side"!

Donni
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Donni! I think I'm good on the weather, storm's supposed to move out late tonight, so that's one less thing I'll be obsessing about, LOL. I'll post a note to all of you when I'm back from the castle, and thanks for cluing me in on the organ shifting! :-)
Unread 01-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Its funny how the fixation shifts isn't it?

I had 1 very large fibroid (my alien) across the top of my uterus and a large plum size one kind of like between my uterus and left ovary. Those I knew about. At surgery Dr found several more of some size and a dozen or more the size of marbles (ish).

I had been '4 months' bloated for months. Even that first night in the hospital I realized I had a flat tummy (I only had minor swelling although I was quite bruised).

I think the short answer is things do just kind of 'settle in'. This I beleive accounts for some of our minor aches and twinges (its not that bad) in the 2nd week post op. Its like we are starting to heal and things are kind of hmmm I am at loss for the word right now.

This might sound dumb but I had noticed in the 6 months prior to my surgery, I was able to hit and hold notes I hadn't since high school. I was worried this would change post op (talk about things to fixate on) as I wondered if the space taken by my fibroids was holding up my diaphram. The more I think about it, it doesn't sound dumb, it was dumb! lol!

Best wishes with your surgery,

Julie
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:08 PM

I know my doc told me I might have to relearn what it felt like to need to pee as the bladder would shift! Hasn't been a problem for me, but what a thing to stress about before surgery (which of course I did!)
Unread 01-21-2007, 08:29 PM

Just remember that if your uterus was enlarged, that happened probably over the course of time, not all at once, and the larger it got, the more it displaced the bladder and other anatomy. So now that the uterus is gone, things will shift back to a more normal position. I've noticed since my uterus was gone, I can sleep through the night without getting up to pee, so I think my bladder now has a little bit more room. Don't worry, there won't be any empty spaces down there!
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:26 AM

I'll try to remember to ask my doctor the question, along with the whole how do they classify the size of these darn things (that's driving me nuts1), while I'm recovering.

I'm full of the darn fibroids, and I had to get up three times last night to pee. It was me more times than my 16-year-old dog getting up! I'm also looking forward to no more sharp pains from the fibriods, no more backaches from them, NO MORE PERIODS, and best of all no more anemia, once I get the iron built back up.

Yeah, I'll be skipping into the castle this morning, and I'm so looking forward to March, when my recovery should be over, and I can begin to start living my life without it being defined by my aches, pains and complications from fibriods!
Unread 01-22-2007, 02:53 AM

i know you may not read this before your surgery, it is early on the 22nd. i just want to wish you good luck!!! and an answer to your question- yes, my doctor explained to me that some of the discomfort i would be feeling would be my other organs settling into new positions.
i am jealous btw, would love to be in colorado!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register