Hysterectomy dates Jan 22-Jan 29,2007 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 22-Jan 29,2007 Hysterectomy dates Jan 22-Jan 29,2007

Unread 01-22-2007, 12:00 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 22-Jan 29,2007

If your hysterectomy was between Jan 22-Jan 29,2007 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2007, 05:09 PM
Home after 24 hrs.!

Hi all, I had my TVH on 23 Jan, and came home the next day. My surgery was scheduled for 10 am but didn't actually happen until more like 1 pm. The surgical nurses were mad at pre-admissions because I should have been one of the first patients, due to my latex allergies, so someone goofed. They gave me a Transderm Scop patch for my nausea, so the anesthesia didn't make me sick, hooray! My doc said I had one of the worst looking uteruses he's seen in quite some time, he said the inside looked like it had been through a meat grinder! DH stayed with me until 6 pm the first night, came back the next day at 9:30 and was there until I was discharged around 3. They weren't going to let me go, but I guess I convinced them I'd be okay, and so far, other than nausea from the Percocet, I am pretty good. I am soooo glad I had this done, even though right now I'm feeling a bit icky. I know in a week or so I'll be feeling much better! Already there is very little bleeding, it has tapered to just light pink spotting. Whew! SkierGRL
Unread 01-26-2007, 08:43 PM

I had my SAH on 1/23 at 8am. I was not stressed going into the surgery. I think it was because I read so much info about what was going to happen. I felt somewhat in control of the situation.

I informed the anesthesiologist that I had never been anesthetized. I also emphasized that I get motion and altitude sickness and have a huge phobia of items in my throat. The anesthesiologist said I was in a high risk group of getting nausea but she would take extra measures to help me. She also promised to remove the tube from my throat while I was too sleepy to remember. I'm happy to report I had no nausea and do not remember the tube in my throat. I do remember going into the OR and asking which radio station they listen to during surgery--they answered "Bob" (which is my favorite station.) The entire team in the OR were women--how great was that! The surgery took around 50 minutes.

My next memory was waking up in recovery. I had a oxygen mask on. I heard the nurse talking to a doctor about why I had not produced any urine. I wanted to answer that I had nothing to drink for 12 hours but I could not talk. They heated my IV fluid and pumped it quickly into me. I thought the foley would bother me but I didn't feel it.

I was put on a Morphine pump and told to press the button every 10 minutes as needed. I was also given ice chips to eat for the rest of the day. At 3:30 pm I started having issues with low blood pressure. It dropped to 88/44. The RN called my doctor and was told to check my blood pressure every five minutes. It would jump up to 99/58 then drop down again. My doctor talked to me on the phone and assured me that since my baseline blood pressure is already low at 116/70, due to being a runner, that the drop is a normal occurrence while taking narcotics. She said it happened to her four months ago when she had her twins. She is a marathon runner.

The RN suggested that I try to walk and I could not figure out the logistics of this task. I had to deal with the foley, IV, and Morphine. The RN then said I needed to start sleeping a little on each side. He gave a plastic tube to exercise my chest to prevent pneumonia and put an wrap around my legs that inflated every few minutes to prevent clots.

Day 1 after surgery began with some sharp gas pains on the right side of my chest. The gas pain was relentless. Sitting up helped a bit. I tried walking to get rid of the gas but I almost passed out after my blood pressure dropped again. I tried to breath deep to break up the bubbles but my chest felt very swollen by the end of the day.

The foley came out in the morning. The RN's had me urinate into a "hat" to keep track of the amount. I filled up the hat 6 times. I was on a clear liquid diet. I brought in all my own food and drinks for my recovery. I drank green tea with honey, cranberry juice, miso soup, and after I passed gas mid-day I had soy pudding and apple sauce. I brought in several new soft gowns.

Day 2 after surgery began with intense pain. My night nurse did not give me any pain killers and.....it hurt. I had a hard time getting out of bed and I struggled to the bathroom. The nurse finally gave me some medicine and I felt better. I was released at 3pm and was happy to be going home. That night I found it hard to sleep. It was hard to get into my bed, laying flat hurt, and I had two panic attacks which woke me up.

Today is Day 3 day after surgery. I weighed myself this morning. I'm three pounds heavier today than the day of surgery. I guess the swelling adds weight. I've not been that hungry. I was determined to have a BM today so I quickly drank a can of prune juice followed by some applesauce. I hate the taste of prunes. A few hours later I did have a BM with no trouble. I did notice that my bowel muscles felt weaker. I've had very little bleeding but I noticed a some numbness at the top of my right leg. I feel stressed and jittery and my scar freaks me out. My scar is also numb and that freaks me out more. I'm also frustrated because I want to laugh but it is too painful. The more I tell people to stop being funny the funnier it is to me.

Summary of my current issues--panic attacks, ease of movement, laughing, my scar, numbness, stress. :bedjump:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2007, 08:25 AM

HI Sisters
I am finally on the other side...yea!!! Had a TAH/BSO on the 23rd, things went smooth, came home Thursday night. Moving slow and a bit tired and sore no other real complaints except have not had a BM and am feeling very bloated!!!

Glad it's over and looking forward to buzzing around again (in a few weeks)

Annie
Unread 01-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Home from the castle

Hi my sisters! I had my LAVH/RSO (LSO last year) on 1/24. I was nervous going in. I was supposed to be the first surgery of the day and was told to get there at 6am. Well, into registration I walk and am told by the receptionist that they hadn't recieved approval from my insurance company; that I should sit down and wait. WHAT???? My doctor's office had called the day before and told me I was approved and collected my $250 deductible over the phone. She wasn't even apologetic about it. Just sit and wait. "How long?" I asked...well, the office opens at 8:30 am. My husband, bless him, almost laughed at the receptionist because he knew I was not going to "sit and wait." My doc's office happens to be in the same complex so off we went at 6:15am to knock on their door. I could hardly believe it, there were actually 2 nurses there; they let us in and couldn't believe the mix up. They got the insurance code, or whatever it was and sent us back to the receptionist. She said "I still have to wait for approval from my people. Sit and wait." Ohh, don't you know now I'm really hot. I stood at her window and watched her call her supervisor as my dh went back to the doctor's office to tell them what was going on. Finally, as dh came back, they got approval. I was whisked back, rushed through pre-op and was in the or by 7:17am. In the end, I was much happier to be mad than nervous. It made the time go so much faster!!!

I'll post more of my recovery soon...I have to go lie down now! Love and speedy recovery to you all!!!!
Unread 01-27-2007, 09:06 AM

I had my TAH on Monday the 22nd and was discharged late Wednesday afternoon. It sure was nice to be home and sleep uninterrupted through the night, no wake-ups for vitals or blood drawing at 3 a.m.!!

The day after surgery was the hardest for me...lots of abdominal pain, and my blood pressure was lower than normal for me, maybe, as others have suggested, the morphine contributed to that. But I did make efforts to get out of bed and do some walking in the halls.

Two days after surgery I was amazed at how much easier it was to get out of bed...still took some effort but not nearly as difficult as before. I knew that a pre-requisite to going home was that I had to be passing gas. There had been plenty of burps but not much from the other end...so when it finally happened I was thrilled!

There was a 3 1/2 pound tumor that was attached to my uterus and in the process of removing everything, the ureter was accidentally cut, which resulted in the extra "present" of a stint that I'll have for a month or so and a catheter that had to stay inserted until just yesterday. It's a relief to not have that anymore but I still haven't had a bowel movement. I've been eating fruit and prunes and drinking water...today I'll get a stool softener and see if that helps.

I have a whole package of pads that I'd bought to use instead of the ones the hospital provides, but I've had no bleeding or discharge, yea! I also haven't used the large panties I'd bought...didn't wear anything while in the hospital and the ones I have just haven't been irritating for me...but I guess you don't know until you go through it all! I did use the chapstick that I packed, that was an invaluable suggestion. And I'm glad I had my robe and slippers, for strolling down the hallway. I used my iPod one afternoon when I needed a break from the hospital sounds and just listened to some relaxing music. Did a little reading and watched some t.v. and slept a lot. Kind of like what I've been doing since I got home!

It was a surprise and a treat that the floor I was on is quite new (less than a year) and all of the rooms are private. It was large, with a couch that made into a futon if my DH had wanted to stay the night...though there was no need for this. The nurses and CNAs responded promptly when I buzzed, though this was usually because a IV bag was empty or if I needed pain medication. All in all it was a good experience of an unanticipated procedure (I had only learned that it would happen two weeks earlier!) and now I'm ready to do the rest and recuperate part. I've appreciated this site and told my Doc about it...suggested that he check it out and then recommend it to his other patients.

Hugs and blessings to all the other princesses who are either home from or preparing to head to the castle! Susan
Unread 01-27-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm back

Hi sisters, I came home this morning, after my TAH on Jan 24. I am glad to be home,it is so true waiting is the hardest part. I have been bruping a lot but nothing on the other end. I feel very bloated, trying to walk around as much as I can, and have drank milk of magnesia twice, I guess all in good time. I will post again later. take care....
Unread 01-27-2007, 02:01 PM

Hi Annie,

Welcome home!!! Glad to hear all is okay and you're back from the castle! SkierGRL a.k.a. Joan
Unread 01-27-2007, 04:00 PM

hi. i had a lavh/bso on 1/25/07. the worst part was the anesthetic. i had a headache/n/v for roughly 18 hours post op. the nausea patch was suppossed to work....didnt, so then i got something in my iv ...made me woozy but no more emesis. ill post more later. thanks to all who helped comfort me during the pre op phase. thanks. ...sandi
Unread 01-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Hi Ladies. I had my LVH on 1/23/07. I spent the weeks leading up to my surgery, nervous and scared. Reading this site answered a lot of questions for me so when I actually got to the hospital Tuesday morning, I wasn't nervous at all. I was actually very sleepy and couldn't wait to get back to sleep. The nurses led me to a ward where I got to put on a stylish blue backless gown. I asked for a pink one, but they declared those were all taken. lol I had three nurses at once in my room, doing paperwork and inserting my IV. I told them I felt like a celebrity with them firing all these questions at me. Only they weren't asking me what designer I was wearing, they wanted to know when my last BM was. There went my 2 second of fame. Down the toilet. lol After a short 45 minute wait, they were wheeling me towards the OR. My husband kissed me and then I was alone with my driver. The Assistant who wheeled me into the OR kept warning me of little bumps in the hallway. I told him to save the warnings for post op when I really don't want to go on a bumpy ride.

I remember my Anes. in the OR and several techs and nurses setting up. And let me please mention the God awful blue armed leg holders on the gurney that my legs would soon be inserted into. Thank God I wasn't awake for that. My Anes. told me that he was going to go ahead and give me the first med to make me relaxed and sleepy. I said sure go for it. I remember NOTHING ELSE. Previous times that I was put asleep, I remember my Dr. counting or singing me to sleep. I knew it was coming. But I guess since I came to the hospital so sleepy already, when he gave me that shot, I was GONE.

I woke in the Recovery Room in a LOT of pain. It felt like very strong and constant labor pains. I had a little trouble breathing right so I had to stay in the RR for a little over 2 hours but then they took me to my room. My husband was waiting for me and I was happy to see him but I was in a huge amount of pain. They had me on a morphine drip but I hated it. My husband had my kids come see me and I was speaking to them and they understood me but my eyes were all loopy. My kids laughed because I would be talking to them and my eyes were going all different directions. The morphine did nothing for my pain so my Dr. changed it to Dilauded (sp). That was the trick. I sent my husband and kids home and tried to sleep. But I couldn't.

Every time that I pressed the buttom for pain, my IV pump would start beeping. The nurse would come in and turn it off but this went on all night long. It was well into the next morning before the pump was replaced. I had been really worried about getting a catheter for surgery because I had never had one, but they put it in while I was asleep in the OR and I never would know I had it except I felt the tube going down my leg when I looked for it. It was nice not having to get up and go to the bathroom. The next morning my nurse took it out. It did NOT hurt at all. She then took the packing out and that was uncomfortable but seriously not painful. Just a little unpleasant. Then she took my leggings off and after 40 minutes I walked to the bathroom and had no problem peeing for the first time. I did feel weak and start to black out on my way back to the bed and became really nauseous but that passed. The second trip to the bathroom was the same. My husband was there to help me then. I drank a LOT of water all morning and walked to the bathroom the rest of the morning with no problems. After lunch my Dr. discharged me home. I have been in the bed resting since. My husband has been doing the laundry and cooking and my oldest daughter does the grocery shopping. I drink a lot of water and I get up and walk often and I have been doing really well. I know that I probably feel better than I am but I am amazed at how good I feel. I did have severe hiccups post op but that has finally gone away. My tummy is really bloated and sore but I feel like that will minimize with time. If I had known that the surgery would go that smoothly, I would have had it done years ago. I am not supposed to drive or work for two weeks but I have to go to work this week. My husband is going out of town for business ALL week. BUT I will only be working part time and will only be sitting at my desk all day with no stress. I can get up and walk when I need to and can go home early if I need to. I plan to hit the bed and rest when I get home each day. I hope all goes well.

BTW: I have not worn panties since the surgery. No bleeding. I don't need the pads that I bought for the first two weeks that I thought I would need them. No granny panties. I am going complete commando until I am healed and then it will only be cute panties. I took all of my pads and midol to my daughters' bathroom. That was fun. Hooray

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register