Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically? Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically?

Unread 01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Question - Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically? Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically?

I have a vesciovaginal fistula in need of repair. I have a large hole in my bladder. Dr wants me to consider having it repaired laparoscopically.

Has anyone been offered this alternative procedure?

Three tiny incisions. Hosp stay overnight. Home with two catheters, foley for 10 days. Recovery time 3 1/2 weeks!

I'm finding this hard to believe. I'm going for a second opinion tomorrow afternoon.

tah/bso 12/14. vvf 1/19 although I knew I had it way back in december
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Bladder fistula repaired laparoscopically?

knotnowpls, I have not had any fistulas but if you are interested, I found some information on a good website about laparascopic fistula repair. It has detailed pictures so be sure you are not too squeamish if you want to take a look at them. It sounds to me like it would be a good way to go if your surgeon is experienced in the technique. If it were me, I'd prefer not being opened completely if I could avoid it as long as I had confidence in my surgeon's ability to do the job correctly. Anyway, the link is below. Hope you find the info. you need to make your decision. Sending S.......
Laparascopic Fistula Repair Site With Pics
Unread 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM

I had a VVF repaired vaginally at the end of November, and recovery was so much easier than with my TAH in July. Makes me wish I could have had my hyst that way. Not offered a choice of a lap procedure, but that could be because my surgeon doesn't specialize in that technique! I would ask what his success rate is with lap vs. abdominal or vaginal repair. I was worried my vag. repair was not going to be successful, because more fistula sisters seem to have abdominal repairs, but so far things are looking good. You just want to have to do this only 1 time! Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2007, 10:30 PM

OrahDeb: Thank you for the website info. WOW! Very informative.

believer1960: That's the only thing holding me back. I would be his third - I don't think so. I met with a very compentent surgeon today, I'm leaning more towards vaginally. Thank you.
Unread 01-25-2007, 04:41 PM

It's always good to trust your instincts. I know surgeons have to get practice somehow, but not on me, thank you! Unless maybe they'll do it for free! (lol) Of course, you get what you pay for, so that may not be a good idea either! With a vaginal repair, you'll feel better sooner, but you still have to be careful not to overdo for 4-6 weeks. Hope all goes well!
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:35 AM

I'm getting my fistula repaired again on may 10. My doctor recommended his partner who will be doing it laproscopically...(though actually it is more robotically). I was scared becuse she is very young abd hasn't done alot of fistulas...but then again they don't see awhole lot. But she has done many surgeries robotically and is considered one of the top 5 in the nation. My urologist will be attending the whole operation watching over her shoulder so if anything happens to go wrong he will take over. I had the abdominal approach which resulted in a reaccurance so I am real excited about not having another incision! I did go back a couple of times to discuss this with him and he was fabulous, never rushed me, and sympathized with the fact that I had an abdominal approach for both my fistula and hysterectomy. The best advice I got through this web site is do your research and trust your instincts ands don't be afraid to ask alot of questions!!
Unread 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Did you have this repaired Laprascopically? I am looking into that option. I hope all is well for you.
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:56 AM

My first fistual I tried cauterization, then fibrin glue, than I had abdominal repair. Unfortunately I had a reaccurance of another fistula. I already tried the glue which didn't work. So that left me with another abdominal approach. I did not have it yet, it will be performed on May 10. From what my doctor told me it is the exact same operation except they can do it with having to make a large incision.It is a newer concept that is catching on, hopefully more doctors will learn how to do it this less invasive way. I will let everyone know how it goes. keep your fingers crossed!
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks! I will be praying for you! I am looking for a doctor who can do the lap so I don't have to have another abdominal surgery. I bled bad during my PAH, which makes me really nervous about and abdominal approach. I so sorry to hear that you have been dealing with this for so long. I know for me it has taken a toll on my emotions. Take care!!
Unread 06-15-2007, 07:54 PM

Just gotta say I am DRY! It's been 21 days since the cath has been removed! I never went this long dry after all the other operations, Dr. says there is hardly any chance of a reaccuracnce after this long. Yahoo!!
The operation was done robotically. The new machinery is called DaVinci. This is a newer way of doing the abdominal approach, actually the whole operation is exactly the same, but only 6 little incisions instead of the long one across.
nop words can discribe how happy and grateful I am to be on the dry side. Just shows that there is a end insight for all of us!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register