How quickly can cancer develop with complex hyeprplasia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How quickly can cancer develop with complex hyeprplasia? How quickly can cancer develop with complex hyeprplasia?

Unread 01-26-2007, 12:31 AM
How quickly can cancer develop with complex hyeprplasia?

Hello,
This is only my second post at hystersisters. I've been looking for information regarding my diognosis of complex hyperplasia with severe atypia. My obgyn is in the process of sending me for a second opinion. She said if I was older, she'd recommend a hysterectomy with no hesitation but since I'm only 23, she wants me to get a second opinion.

My question is how fast can cancer develop with my diognosis? This has been going on over the course of two months and I'm really worried that I'm getting lost in the system and that this could become full blown cancer before even a treatment is recommended. Plus I'm scaring myself with articles saying that cancer could already be co-existing with the hyperplasia?

Some history regarding diagnosis: I had been bleeding for two months. Dr put me on provera and then birth control which successfully gave me the worst bleeding I've ever had in my life. I quickly became anemic and was given 3 pints of blood at the ER and they performed a D&C. They biopsied the cells taken during surgery and came back with complex hyperplasia with severe to mild atypia.

Sorry this is long. I'm scared and this has been a lot for me to handle in the past month.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2007, 06:26 AM

Hi, I had the same dx of complex hyperplasia with severe atypia back in Aug. of 06. My gyne told me this means I have precancer. I said so it's not cancer and she said, no precancer. But as you I read online it could already be cancer and was overwhelmed and confused. I decided to go with a complete hysterectomy. I am 45 and both my kids are grown up now, so I chose that route.

In Sept. I had my surgery. I got a call 4 days later from my doc that the pathology report showed It was already cancer. Stage 1b, Grade 2. I was told it started in the endometrium and progressed <10% invasion into the uterine wall. My hysterectomy was my only treatment. I did not need chemo/rad.

I hope I didn't scare you more, but I highly recommend from my experience that you go get that second opinion asap from a gynecological oncologist. All the girls here will tell you to see a gyne/onc. I did not have access to one in my area...the closest was over 2 hours and it was hard for me with other health problems I have to travel that distance for all the check ups/surgery etc...but with you living in CA, I'm sure there is probably one close to you. Check your phone book. It could be that you're still precancer and it could be already cancer..like I said I had the exact dx as you.

You're so young...so go see a gynecological oncologist and get that second opinion asap. I have read where some young people took medication to help slow it so you can still bear children, but I think that depends on the extent of the atpyical hyperplasia. You definitely though need to address this with a second opinion, and with that gyne/onc.

I wish you the best of luck. Please do come back and post what you all found out after your second opinion. I"m curious how you make out ok? As far as how long until it would progress to cancer, I'm not sure, but being it's severe atypia already it could be a later stage pre or early cancer, but I do feel even if it's early cancer, it was caught in time to get treatment. I am just going by my own experience. I am 4 mos. post op and still cancer free and doing great.

I am really sorry you're going through this at such a young age. I know it's hard now, but you hang in there. You will be ok as long as you don't ignore this and get treatment. A good gyne/onc will know how to handle this and get you the best treatment for your situation.

You have my prayers!!!!
HUGS
SA
Unread 01-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi. Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I know easier said than done, but try not to be scared, okay... Of course your second opinion is a good idea, no matter what. I had same dx of hyperpasia w complex atypia "pre-cancer." I certainly don't want to scare you, but what is going on with your body indicates something is either right or wrong, cancer or not! 30 percent of this condition does turn to actual cancer... The time frame changes from person to person. Could be months, could be years, or so I have read. (I think in most cases typically it is a slow grower, and it's great that you are discovering this early.)

I have heard that there is a chance to temporarily treat a younger person with this diagnosis, before it turns into full blown staging, but this again requires those expert second opinions and your decision to take control of your life decisions. I think in a younger person they might monitor it for any changes, and perhaps administer certain treatments or hormones in attempts to reverse it or delay its change over.

My dx went from hyperplasia w/atypia after uterine biopsy in March 06 to adenocarcinoma stage 1 after D & C findings the next month in April. This doesn't mean it changed in my body that quickly. It was just more closely studied and diagnosed after the D & C. Who knows how long it was already in my body.... I had complained about a lot of vague aches and pains and extra bleeding for many years. I looked for other treatments and soon discovered that for somebody my age, about 50 at the time, a total hysterectomy was recommended, even by the alternative practitioners. I did come across some mention of trying to treat younger gals without surgery, but again, that takes the educated opinion of an expert, of course.

Sounds like your doctor is working with you and that you are on top of it. If you needed to be seen quicker your gyn would probably expedite it. Good luck to you. You have found the right place for direction and support! The best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Thank you so much for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by folky
My dx went from hyperplasia w/atypia after uterine biopsy in March 06 to adenocarcinoma stage 1 after D & C findings the next month in April.
So the cancer developed within a month? or did your drs think it was already co-existing with the hyperplasia before in March and it was missed? This is what I'm most worried about but I would think with such an "invasive" treatment as a D & C, it would have been caught.

I'm sure the dr will discuss my options with me but I'm not sure if I do want to wait on a hysterectomy. I don't have any immediate or even long-term plans for children. I'm not sure how long chemical or drug treatment can give me, maybe 5 years? Maybe less even. I'm not planning on having children in those 5 years so I'm starting to think a hysterectomy would be best as soon as possible so I'm not even risking cancer developing if it hasn't already.

Thanks again!
Unread 01-27-2007, 12:23 AM

Thank you for the reply!
Unread 01-27-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroyceau
Thank you so much for your reply!

So the cancer developed within a month? or did your drs think it was already co-existing with the hyperplasia before in March and it was missed? This is what I'm most worried about but I would think with such an "invasive" treatment as a D & C, it would have been caught.
Lemme try to fix this... It was about a month between my uterine biopsy results that saw the hyperplasia (thickening of uterine wall) with atypical cells and then I was sent to have a D & C to check further (a common procedure after a biopsy finding). The D & C pathology showed stage 1 uterine cancer (adenocarcinoma). In this short amount of time, in my case, it probably was cancer all along, but in its very beginning stage, and the D & C was able to see it more clearly than the uterine biopsy did. I doubt it turned into cancer that quickly, so It may have been in me for quite some time... the point being, it was found early, and now it is gone, and now the likelihood that I am CURED is like 95%! You may not have cancer, and may never ever develop it, but it is good in a sense that the red flags are up so you can keep an eye on it. (Sorry, I feel like no matter what I write here I am getting myself in deeper ...sorry... I am actually trying to make you feel better! There is nothing nice one can say about this unpleasant matter, except that it is good to be ahead of it all!)

As for the D & C (with hysterscope) being invasive... I see it more as an investigative tool, something that helped the unknown become known, and that was a positive move forward! And, I personally had almost no discomforts afterwards. (I played guitar at a kid's show the next day. I was maybe a little loopy but it lent itself well to the goofy song subjects.)

Quote:
I'm sure the dr will discuss my options with me but I'm not sure if I do want to wait on a hysterectomy. I don't have any immediate or even long-term plans for children. I'm not sure how long chemical or drug treatment can give me, maybe 5 years? Maybe less even. I'm not planning on having children in those 5 years so I'm starting to think a hysterectomy would be best as soon as possible so I'm not even risking cancer developing if it hasn't already.

Thanks again!
I don't think you mentioned when your next doctor's appt is. You are doing the right thing by learning more about this, but just make sure you are getting the correct information from your sources (including from me!) and other gals and sites online. There is a lot of good information out there, but unfortunately some bogus stuff too ...best thing still is to talk to your doctor, and if you are not comfortable with that doc, find another if you can. Try to see that gyn/onc too before making any decisions. Your original post still sounds like your doctor is batting for you!

Again, a hyperplasia finding is a red flag. Sometimes it can come and go depending on other things going on in your body. At least it gives you a heads-up to check into it further. Please do not assume you have cancer, or that it will turn into cancer, if indeed you have not been diagnosed with it. You certainly do not need the added stress! There is still a higher percentage chance that it is NOT cancer. Good luck to you sweetie!
Unread 01-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
(Sorry, I feel like no matter what I write here I am getting myself in deeper ...sorry... I am actually trying to make you feel better! There is nothing nice one can say about this unpleasant matter, except that it is good to be ahead of it all!)
No worries, I really appreciate your help and opinion. You are definitely helping me to feel better.

Quote:
As for the D & C (with hysterscope) being invasive... I see it more as an investigative tool, something that helped the unknown become known, and that was a positive move forward! And, I personally had almost no discomforts afterwards. (I played guitar at a kid's show the next day. I was maybe a little loopy but it lent itself well to the goofy song subjects.)
Ya, I felt immediately better after having the D & C three weeks ago. But seeing as I came into the ER feeling horrible due to the heavy period. I was anemic from all the blood loss and during the D & C they gave me three pints of blood which had me feeling much better after the surgery.

I think you answered another question I had on whether a D & C is able to get more concrete results than a uterine biopsy? I'm assuming in order to monitor this from now on, they'll use a uterine biopsy.

Quote:
I don't think you mentioned when your next doctor's appt is.
My next official appt is with my regular gyn and that's not for 3 months. In the meantime, her office is suppose to be setting me up an appt with a dr for a second opinion up at Loma Linda Med Center. I'm not sure if she is sending me to just a regular gyn or a gyn/onc. I'm going to call and ask on that Monday after reading the recommendations from this site.

Thanks so much for your reply!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register