Things I needed and things I didnt' | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things I needed and things I didnt' Things I needed and things I didnt'

Unread 01-29-2007, 12:06 AM
Things I needed and things I didnt'

Hi Ladies,

Put on your list of things to get...
1. A Shower Chair. After several days at home trying to coach my DH on how to wash my hair and places I couldn't reach, finally got one. What a fabulous invention!

2. A little pillow. Something that is just the right size to fit under your belly when you are on your side, or to support the lower belly (non swollen part) if you sleep 3/4 like I do. (also handy in case you have little animals who suddenly decide to walk on you or use you as a springboard or pillow-DON'T let them do that)

3. Prescription meds that aren't the usual run of the mill stuff. Check with Dr beforehand to see what is likely to cause a challenge for the standard hospital storeroom. (on the same vein... have doses of your regular meds already counted out a week ahead in one of those handy containers... you'll be too whacked out on pain meds to remember what you took and didn't for several days anyway)

What I didn't need:
1. 5,000 pads (ok, exagerating) for after surgery. With a latex allergy, I need special ones and wanted to be prepared for the spotting.
The spotting has been pretty minimal and I often don't even need a pad for it. But some are necessary.
(anybody with a latex allergy want my extra boxes?)

It is truly amazing how much better I feel now (about 3 weeks post op) and am stunned at how many of my ills were caused by the fibroids. (breathing, reflux, painful constricted urination, constipation, back pain, hip pain, posture..... It's worth it, girls, really it is!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2007, 12:31 AM

A shower chair, in my opinion, would be a waste of money. I was able to shower no problem. It actually felt really good!

I live alone and my only real trouble was getting out of bed. Place a chair next to your bed to help you out.

The only other real problem I had was GAS. Buy some natural laxitive tea. This saved me from the horrible pains.

Keep some of your pads handy, I've been spotting for a week. Also, granny panties help as they go over the incision line (TAH).
Unread 01-29-2007, 07:36 AM

We have a shower chair from when my late mom from when she had her first stroke. I find its great to use when shaving your legs in the shower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2007, 07:56 AM

I totally agree on the shower chair. you actually don't need to buy the expensive type, but a plastic lawn chair would do the same thing. I was so happy to have it after having the abdominal hyst. unbelievable how tired you get from standing.
Unread 01-29-2007, 09:17 AM

I had one that was my sisters and I used it for the first few showers, just did not have the energy to stand there. But if you don't have that luxury a plastic lawn chair would work.
Unread 01-29-2007, 10:14 AM

I seriously was shopping online for a recliner. I really think I would have gotten a lot of use out of it.
Unread 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM

A shower chair is something I never even thought about. Maybe be too expensive but it would have come in handy. It is amazing how much energy a shower takes.
I still haven't shaved my legs. LOL!
Unread 01-29-2007, 11:13 AM

things I needed and things I didnt.
1. Lip Balm A must have! I caked it on in the pre-op waiting room they had me in waiting to go to the OR.
2.My Travel sized Tummy Pillow!
3.Robe
4. Slippers
5. socks
6.about 4 panty liners
7.My Bath and Bodyworks lotion
8. Granny panties
9. GasX.
Because I couldnt get into my suitcase, I didnt use Shampoo, body wash , toothbrush or toothpaste..that I brought..
I used the hospitals stuff instead..didnt need the stack of pads I took, didnt need a pantie liner after 2 days at all.
I drank plenty of juice and water and pretty much anything they brought me...I stayed sooo dry mouthed!
Unread 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM

It's great to have lists to help you plan your trip to the castle and before I went, I read all the lists and packed accordingly, but everyone's experience is so different.

I'm glad I had all the stuff there in case I needed it, but there was so much stuff that others found indispensable that I have still never used to this day.

I never needed a backscratcher and didn't have any itching from the morphine or the compression stockings. I didn't have any problems with trapped gas and have an unopened box of Gas-X if anyone wants it. My throat didn't hurt and my lips weren't dry, so I didn't need the lip balm or the hard candy either. I didn't use the sleep mask because light wasn't my problem, noise was.

The two things that I really used the most at the hospital were my i-pod (which kept me sane with all the beeping machines and loud roommates and helped me doze occasionally) and for some weird reason peppermint gum. I don't usually chew it and I haven't chewed it since, but in the hospital, it was precisely what I wanted and needed. It made me feel better.

I agree with a small pillow for your belly. I bought a squishy travel pillow and it's so much easier to hold against your belly than a full size pillow.

I was planning to use a plastic lawn chair in the shower, but my husband bought a shower chair. I only sat in it maybe twice, but it is nice to have in there to lean on when you feel weak (for some reason it always hit me when I was shampooing my hair) and just need to take a minute before finishing. I also have a herniated disc in my back and occasionally can't stand for long when that acts up, so the chair will come in handy then, too.

I also really like my grabber thing. I wasn't sure how much I would use it, but I have used it a lot. I'm still using it to reach things on high shelves instead of stretching too much or climbing on something. I used it a lot in my first few weeks to pick stuff off the floor or even reach things on the table in front of me when it hurt to roll on my side.

My best advice for at home is lots of pillows. I made myself a nest with them and I slept comfortably from day one. If you're going to be laying around that much, you are going to get achy. The pillows really helped me.

Judy
Unread 01-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Glad I had in the hospital:
-Tummy pillow
-My own blankie
-GasX strips
-Eye mask

Wish I had in the hospital:
-Pre-moistened facial wipes
-Lip balm
-My own towel
-My own water bottle with straw (theirs smelled funny)

Brought but didn't need or use:
-iPod loaded with audiobooks
-Reading material
-3 extra pairs of panties

Didn't bring, didn't need:
-Robe
-Slippers
-Extra pads (I only spotted the first day, and just used the hospitals pads and disposable panties)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register