5 days postop | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days postop 5 days postop

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
5 days postop

Hello everyone. I had my LAVH w/BSO on Jan 25th. My surgery took 3 hours. My OBGYN noticed at my exam in Sept that my uterus was enlarged. She had never noticed this before. I had told her that Ihad alot of frontal headaches, nausea, tired, abdominal bloating and urinating frequently. She had done blood work the prior year and determined that I was perimenopausal. So I attributed all the signs to hormonal. She wanted me to have a pelvic ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound done. I waited until the beginning of November to do those since my husband and I were taking our son to school in another state in October. I had my ultrasound on a Tuesday and she called me Thursday with the results. Told me I had two large uterine tumors / a 8cm & a 7cm one. She had me in the office that Friday for blood work. I was anemic, my iron was 11. Then the following week she had me in the office for an endometrial biopsy since the lining of my uterus was greater than 10mm. She said that came back ok cuz I was midcycle. I put off having my surgery until now cuz my son was coming home for christmas and I wanted to wait till after the holidays. My surgery was at 8am and I woke up in the recovery room at 12:30pm. The nurse said I had been there since 11:30am. My OBGYN said my surgery took longer than expected 3 hours. When she made the incision in my navel the uterus was right there. So the incisions on the side had to be farther over and down. She thought she was going to have to do an abdominal hyster. They inflated the abdomen with carbon dioxide, and put in a blue dye for visualization. She said the uterus was larger than she expected and freaky looking. It had the two large fibroids, but was loaded with other fibroids. I woke up in the RR with so much lower back pain and abdominal pain. I went up to my room around 1:30 and pretty much slept all day till 10pm. I had IV fluids going, MS PCA, SCD's, and foley catheter. I was nauseated once and vomited at 5pm. I stopped using morphine at that time. Took a couple of lortabs that night. They did hourly outputs on me for quite a while. They gave me lots of iv antibiotics, and iv reglan for nausea. My foley was removed the next morning. I got out of bed after they removed it, walked to the bathroom and urinated a little. It felt weird. Then when I stood up urine dribbled down my leg. I was scared, like great, now I'll have to wear depends. At 7am I ambulated around the nurses station 2 times, and at 9am I ambulated around the nurses station 3 times. The doctor came in at 10am. I told her about my urinating and dribbling. At that time she removed the vaginal packing. No more dribbling after that. Thank god. I went home at 10:45am. That day at home I rested alot. Saturday I rested and walked around the house a little. Sunday I felt great, so dumb me, I dust mopped the house, made the beds and did two loads of laundry. Had alot of gas pain. Starting passing gas. Then Monday I was totally exhausted. Read info on this site, and found out instead of doing the house work I should of been reading info from here. I over did it, and now I'm scared. I hope I haven't pulled any internal stitches. Now today I've been a good princess!! I took a shower, walked around the house a little, and I took a two hour nap. Now I plan on babying myself. Today day 5 postop I finally had a bowel movement. Yeh!! I was getting worried about that. It didn't hurt too bad. Stunk terrible. Ido still have alot of abdominal bloating, swelling and tenderness. Has anyone used the belly support you can get from the store here? Now, I'm concerned about going back to work. The game plan is to let me back after 6 weeks, but when I go back I work 3- 12hour days a week, and 1- 6 hour day a week. I guess I'll take it as it comes and see how I feel. If my doctor will let me stay out for 8 weeks maybe i'll do that. I wanted to fly to Arizona and see my son for a week or so/ around week 3 or 4 postop, but right now I'm thinking thats not a good idea. Since, I'm in New York, and its such a long flight. Has anyone traveled during their recovery period? Thanks for listening and letting my vent. This is a wonderful site. Look forward to reading everyones experiences, and getting to know everyone. Bye
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM
5 days postop

Hi there! I am flying from Missouri to Baltimore in my fourth week (next week). If you remind me I can let you know how that goes! Good Luck on your recovery!
Unread 01-30-2007, 03:55 PM
5 days postop

Welcome home! I'm glad everything went well and you're feeling so good! Now just remember this is time to Pamper the Princess, and not run her around the block already!

Please ask your doctor about how soon you can travel. I know blood clots are a concern right after surgery and long flights can increase the risk due to sitting for so long. If the doctor clears you, I'd go for the farthest date. I still got pooped really easily in week 3. There is a LOT of walking involved with traveling - especially through the airport and you won't be allowed to lift or pull your carry on bag. I will be flying MN to AZ in week 9. I'm in week 8 now and feel 200% stronger than I did in week 3. Doc said it would take 3 months to regain most of my strength.

Rest, drink lots of water, walk short, but frequently around the house and pamper yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2007, 04:10 PM
5 days postop

Hello! Yes, please let me know how your traveling goes. Glad to hear you're doing well.
Unread 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM
postop hyster

Hello. Thank you so much for responding. I will be good now since I know I over did it Sunday/ which was day 3 postop. I know I'm having second thoughts about traveling. I might hold off until April and my husband and I will go together. That way I'll be about 10 weeks postop. I'm just eager to get back to work and exercise. I can't wait for this belly swelling to go down. Let me know how your flight goes. When did you finally go grocery shopping, and drive? Talk to you soon. Thanks so much. Glad to hear you're doing well.
Unread 01-30-2007, 05:58 PM
5 days postop

I know it's so hard to run life at full speed and then come to a screeching halt after surgery. The best remedy to returning to normal is to rest, rest, rest (and walk slowly) these early weeks. It's only 6 weeks out of an entire lifetime, so remember to use this precious time to heal.

You'll feel sooo much better at 10 weeks than at 3-4. My vote is for the 10 weeks! I'm just starting week 8 and am really feeling good. I had a textbook surgery and recovery with no complications. I'm still avoiding the heavy lifting (more than 20 pounds) and my power yoga poses for another week or so. This is self imposed since I'm feeling so good, I'm continuing the approach of incrementally increased activity.

I was cleared to drive after 1 week, but I didn't feel like I could stomp on the brakes if needed. My first drive was early week 3, with a bath towel folded under the seat belt over my tummy. I felt fine with all the normal movements in driving. The only grocery shopping was to pick up only enough items that would weigh less than 1 milk carton (my weight restriction). Those grocery carts with stuff in them are too heavy for us until our lifting restrictions are lifted. DH went with me for the larger trips so he could push the cart and carry the grocery bags. The only thing I carried was my handbag. Many Princesses can vouch for the pain they endured after pushing even an empty grocery cart. Thankfully, I learned from them and never pushed it! (pun intended, hehehe)

What a good idea to post how traveling goes. I'll remember to do that when we get back.

Take care and !
Unread 01-30-2007, 08:25 PM
5 days postop

Hello I talked with my husband tonight, and I think we're pretty much in agreement that I'll wait to go to Arizona until April or May when he can go with me, and I'll be feeling better. It's just hard being out of work for 6 weeks/maybe more, and then putting in for time off. I'm not sure that my boss will be too impressed to have me back to work for only 1-2 months and then want time off. That is why I wanted to go during my recovery period. I go to my one week appt Thursday. I have been resting the past two days, and just walking some around the house. I want to see if next week it would be okay for me to go two or three nights with my friend up to the school and walk the halls. Have you used the swelly belly support that they sell here on this site? I thought that might be good to use for support while walking, and maybe even to wear when I return to work. Glad to hear you are feeling better and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks again for your support.
Unread 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
5 days postop

Good call to fly to AZ later than sooner! I understand the work time off challenge, but a leave for surgery is a lot different than vacation. This sure isn't all fun in the sun!

I had a TAH and really wanted my own bed during recovery. I know the vaginal procedures tend to have shorter recovery times, so your doctor and your body will be the best judges for being away from home for a few nights. Week 2 would have been too early for me. The 3rd week is when I stopped feeling like a recent surgery patient - I still wanted my own bed.

I didn't buy the swelly belly band, but the doctor had given me a tummy binder after surgery. I think they are similar in that they are very wide elastic that helps support the tummy. Other princesses have reported using control top panties (like Spanx) with success. Others rave about the swelly belly band.

I'd also like to gently remind you to focus on your healing right now. People should come to see you in these early weeks, bring food, flowers and provide nice company. If they're really nice, they can help with shopping or wash a load of dishes or laundry.

Rest, drink lots of water, walk a bit every day and !
Unread 01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
5 days postop

Hello! Oh, thank you, control top panties sounds wonderful! What a great idea. That is definitely what I can wear when I return to work. I have my one week postop appt tomorrow. After the appt my husband and I are going to run into Walmart quick so I can get some, and also into the grocery store. Hes been great grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. But it will be nice to get into the store, of course I'll have him push the cart and pick up all the supplies. I know, this is not a vacation. As soon as my husband and I decide when we want to go to Arizona I'm going to put my request slip into work. If she gets mad, oh well, we'll see. Thanks again for your support.
Unread 02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Air Travel in Week 9

Hi again! I'm back from a wonderful vacation to sunny and warm Arizona. Traveling (3 hours flying 1 day and 3 hours driving the next) was a breeze, although I did ask DH to lift and carry my bags. I pulled my carry-on bag with wheels with no problem.

This really was a vacation - lots of rest, good food, walking, hiking and shopping. I played with my 5 and 8 year old nephews, but didn't engage in our usual wrestling. DH had to fill in for me this trip!

I was feeling terrific before the trip, and now feel even better. Hope your travels go well too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register