Just diagnosed.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just diagnosed.. Just diagnosed..

Unread 02-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Just diagnosed..

I have my first appt with the gyn/onc in 2 days. DX was from an endometrial biopsy due to abnormal/excessive bleeding. My doc said she wanted to do it "just to rule things out", and was surprised at the results because of my age (I'm 34).
At any rate, all I know right now is that my PAP was clear, the biopsy showed adenocarcinoma grade 1, nuclear grade 1 (whatever that means).
I've been going back and forth between rational/calm and totally freaking out. Everything seems to be cancer now.. I ate pizza, which ALWAYS gives me heartburn, but now it's esophageal cancer in my mind.
Anyway, I'm very glad I found this site.. I guess this board is the club that no one wants to join, but I'm glad you're here.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Just diagnosed..

Hi Amy,

Everyone is extremely surprised to hear that they have cancer. Being young and finding it out is no fun either (I am 29 with cervical cancer).

But you have definitely made the right step and joined this site. These ladies are absolutely wonderful here and have helped me so much.

I don't have the same type of cancer as you have, but I am sure there will be many ladies coming along to offer their advice shortly.

Going through the emotions of being rational/calm one minute and freaking out the next is totally normal. I am 6 months into my diagnosis and am still going through those emotions. Come here and vent, questions and enquire as much as you want. It really does help.

Sending hugs your way and know that you are in good company here.

Jan
Unread 02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Just diagnosed..

It is very good that you are seeing a gyn oncologist. It is the best thing you can do for yourself!

I have the same kind of cancer and grade that you have. I had a hysterectomy on Jan 4 and have my first check up this Thursday. I'm lots (53) older but weathered the operation with flying colors. I waited 5 weeks between dx and operation. I spent that time working on getting into the best physical shape I could and doing meditations / affirmations to help with my mental state.

I would be glad to answer any question you have. If you would like any help preparing questions for the oncologist, I could send you the list I used. You can add to it.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Lyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Just diagnosed..

Thanks, to both of you! I've already learned a lot from reading this site. I would definitely appreciate any tips as to what I should ask the g/o on Wednesday.

And.. wow. 5 weeks. I hope that my surgery is scheduled sooner than that, I think that I might go crazy otherwise. I feel like the only thing that I can think about right now is my uterus, and I just want it gone. I'm a little concerned that they will want to delay, because I'm diabetic and my bg's have been hard to control for the last month or so. I think this is probably because of all the problems I've been having though, so it's not going to get any easier until they get this resolved!

JW, I hope that everything is perfect at your checkup Thursday. I'll be sending good thoughts your way..
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:06 PM
Just diagnosed..

Hi Amy:

I am sorry to hear the news. About a year ago I was in your shoes. They didn't consider it an emergency, so I had to wait a few weeks for surgery. Note to self: don't come down with anything serious right before Christmas.

I think once you learn a bit more about the particular type of cancer that you have, you may feel a little less fearful. For example, it seems unlikely that heartburn would have anything to do with it!

As for questions to ask, if I had to do it again I might ask if the doctor will selectively remove a few lymph nodes or if they will take out a large number of them. Apparently, doctors have different views on this.

Please take care and let us know how you are and if you have any other questions.

Regards, Blue
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Just diagnosed..

Blue,

Thanks for the reply! It's good to hear from someone who is on the other side of this. Right now it just seems overwhelming, but I guess I just have to do this one day at a time.

I know logically that heartburn has nothing to do with the cancer that I have. My fears have just been running wild all week.. every little ache or pain makes me afraid that the cancer is actually NOT stage 1, and that it's spread through my whole body.. not exactly rational, I know.

I will add the lymph node question to my list (which is already probably going to drive the doc nuts). I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks again!
Unread 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Just diagnosed..

Amy,

, Sorry to hear about your DX! The waiting is definitely the worst part! Try to relax and do something nice for yourself like a massage, manicure or pedicure. I took the time before surgery to clean out closets and get things ready for when I came home. I prepared and froze some meals that my husband could easily heat up. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.
's
Barb
Unread 02-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Just diagnosed..

HI Amy- I'll never forget my phone call from my OB telling me about my results. I was in such a fog, shock and angry. It took me a few days to let it sink in, but once I got my bearings back I started to form my team. I suggest you take someone with you to write down what the doctor says. For me, my team consided of my sister in law, who has a medical background and can decifer the details of what the Dr. is say and telling me and make it more understandable for me. Next, took my little sister, a compasinate and caring person who took all the notes and asked my questions that I wrote down prior to my visit. I wanted all my bases covered, because I knew that I wouldn't be able to be in control because my life was in his hands. And Lastly, I took my husband, who was there for moral support. He was our driver and took the team to the nearest fancy resturant where we enjoy many cocktails and discuss the matter in hand. Get your questions together, stay in control, and most of all we are here if you need us. Good luck!
-tina
Unread 02-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Just diagnosed..

Amy,
I'm so sorry that you have found yourself here, but you have landed with a good group of women! I hear you when you talk about being calm and then suddenly you feel like you will just lose your mind! If calm thoughts and long walks can't seem to get you through the long days and interminable nights..consider asking your docs for some type of medication. A little dose of Xanex can go a long way...especially when you need your wits about you or perhaps a good nights sleep.

You have gotten a lot of good advise already! I would suggest that you ask your gyn/onc what tests he will have you take, what will they be looking for and WHEN you can expect the results. Sometimes being in the dark about what your tests are for and WAITING for the results is enough to put one over the edge. If you know the answers to these questions up front, it seems to make things a little less nerve racking (for me anyway)

Good luck and keep us posted!

Beachball
Unread 02-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Just diagnosed..

Wow, thank you all so much for the support and good ideas. This is already starting to seem a little more manageable.
I am very lucky in that I have a large family (4 sisters) who have already been incredibly supportive, and my husband has been an absolute doll also. I don't know how anyone would ever get through these things without that.
My husband and my sister (who was an oncology nurse for 10 years) are going to the appointment with me, so hopefully if I forget to ask something, my sister will remember!
I'll definitely post an update when I find out more.
Thank you all so much!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register