Dr. said Possible Recurrence of ovca | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dr. said Possible Recurrence of ovca Dr. said Possible Recurrence of ovca

Unread 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Dr. said Possible Recurrence of ovca

As some of you remember I posted a week ago regarding my Moms ca-125. The past few months it jumped from 7 to 14 and January 19. Today she went for another ca-125 and in 2 days we'll get the results.

She had a CT Scan done last week and the results say slightly enlarged iliac chain lymph nodes. Otherwise everything else looked good and no changes from previous ct scan.

I spoke to her gyn/onclo today and he said with combination of the rising ca-125 and the enlarged lymph nodes he feels that the cancer is slowly growing back. We see him in 3 days and will also have the current ca-125 results and discuss the next step.

Its been only 9 months since she finished her initial treatment of taxotere/carbo. He talked about clinical trials or other drugs that are out now.

Since its been 9 months can she receive the taxotere/carbo again? He said we can either wait and see a little longer or she can start chemo at the end of february after more testing.

Im not sure about any of this. Its traumatizing to me. Again, I feel like I got hit by a truck. Have been crying my eyes out since I spoke to him. I feel lost and dont know what to expect in the future. She is my dearest person and I want to see her survive this and watch my kids grow. I am so heartbroken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2007, 07:54 PM

Hi Fiana,
It is very very hard to hear news of a recurrence, it does hit us like a mack truck. Your mom has had a long period here before her counts started rising again. That is good. Taxotere and Carbo can be used again, but I'm not sure how long in between they recommend. Your gyn/onc will be able to give you specific info on this and also talk about all the options available. I don't recall your mom's stage and grade for ovca. This will be considered as well in her treatments. There are many drugs that can be used and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. Your gynie/onc will help you make this decision.

I want to encourage you that you can deal with this step too just like the initial dx and treatment. Hang in there and give your mom lots of luv and hugs. Here's one for you.
Unread 02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
thanks so much

thanks so much Faithfirst. She had ovca 3c. I do hope that she can take her first treatment drug. The doctor said that we have to wait and see I guess he just wants more time to go by before he can give her those drugs, but Im not sure thats in our best interest to wait. if it is a recurrence I dont want it to progress more.
He did mention carbo/avastin, but Im not sure.
My Mom does not yet know I spoke to him I dont want her to get upset now because we still have 3 days until we see him and I know she is going to have lots of questions that I cannot answer. She just got her life back on track with work and stuff so it will be hard for her to hear this. We are now just waiting to see her new results of the ca-125.
thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2007, 04:41 AM

I'm sure she is fretting too Fiana. You might want to mention that the doctor expressed to you that there are options to consider at this point and you can both wait together for these next interminable three days to hear what he best advises. I can't imagine that your mom isn't playing every scenario in her own mind just like you. She may need an encouraging word. Cancer head can put us in the klink in no time and we can't get ourselves out. A calm sensible voice helps all the time.

For your own stress I often play worship music or sing some favorite hymns to get my head in a good place. Thinking positive is critical for yourself and your mom.
Unread 02-06-2007, 05:47 AM

s to you & your mom, Fiana.

The good news is that if this is indeed a recurance, it appears to be very slow growing, which gives more time to make important treatment decisions. As for repeating the taxotere and the carbo combo, I know with Carbo/Taxol some women have gone on to use that same combo if they've had a good response even 6 months later.

good luck to you both, and please let us know what the new ca-125 number is.

k9
Unread 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM

Hi Fiana,

Reading your thread made me to tears. I can tell you have such a love for your Mother. That is great you have a good relationship with her. I send you both gentle hugs. I'm sorry there is a recurrence of this horrible cancer. The good thing is that it is slow growing, and is caught again early. There is a lot they can do these days to treat cancer. You both hang in there and keep hopeful. Yes there is the worry the outcome may not be so good, but until we are told otherwise there is always hope. Don't lose sight of that.

I think it's great you're there for your Mom and coming here asking questions to help her. I wish I could be of more help, but I had uterine cancer and my surgery was my only treatment so I am not experienced with the treatment end of things.

May God bless both you and your Mother. I pray he gives your Mom healing and comfort you both as you go through this together. Always remember it's darkest before the dawn. Keep hopeful and think positive. My prayers go out to you both. Please keep us posted.

HUGS
SA
Unread 02-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Realy scared

Im realy scared now. I dont know what to expect in the future. If she has a recurrence now (9 months after chemo) then whats next after she fights this recurrence.
How often do recurrences happen with this horrible disease? I feel so scrared and angry at the same time. Why does this happen to my Mom, is what I want to know.

Im sorry if Im rambling, I have so many feelings inside and I know all of you ladies here understand my emotions. I called out of work because I just cant deal with this being in public.
Unread 02-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Dear Fiana, Please accept this hug. Any recurrence or threat of it will knock you for a loop. Of course you have all these feelings inside. If you need to vent thats ok. Its easier to vent here than anywhere. It is a horrible disease that has a mind of its own. We just have to sit back & wait for the other shoe to drop. You may want to tell your Mom that you did talk to her doc and that he said there are options. Your Mom is probably filled with the same thoughts you are and may even think the worst. She may need to know that there are options available. She probably needs a hug from you also. That is the medicine that helps. Please let us know how things go.
Bertha
Unread 02-06-2007, 01:53 PM

It seems ovca is diabolical-it just keeps coming back. The remission can be a few months or a few years. We learn to relish in every day we are given. My doc says there's a long list of meds to use and he keeps coming back with a new option. There's so much research going on right now trying to stop this recurrent ovca that I just pray and hope somehting soon comes out that works. Think of the success in other cancers in just recent years. Keep hoping and stay positive. You are there for each other with hugs and support. Soon your appt will be here and you and your mom will know exactly what the next plan will be. Good luck.
Unread 02-06-2007, 06:53 PM
remission

Im just afraid that after this recurrence how soon will another come. I know some may say to take one step at a time, but that does not matter to me. Im looking at the big picture. I want my Mom to be here with me and watch me grow old with my kids.
My only hope is that within years, and soon, they will come out with a drug that can stabolize this and give women a longer life even if takes a few chemo sessions. I will be by my Mom and our whole family as her strength and carry her through this and whatever it takes. I just pray to God that she has a long life and be beside me.

I told her tonight that I spoke to her doctor and that he feels that this is a recurrence. She was sad but The only thing she cares about is that she will be here. She doesnt care about doing chemo again, she just wants to be here with her family. I am her only child and our family is very close. We are also best friends. I will go through this with her as if its me going through this and thats what I've doing from day one.

thanks for listening.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register