endometrial hyperplasia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endometrial hyperplasia endometrial hyperplasia

Unread 02-08-2007, 06:19 PM
endometrial hyperplasia

I am 50 years old and I had a D&C two years ago for heavy bleeding caused by endometrial hyperplasia. I am in perimenopause and have been having very light periods or skipping them completely for the last six months. I went in for a routine vaginal sonogram to take to my gyn for my annual Pap smear and it showed that my endometrius was thick. When my gyn performed a uterine biopsy, it showed endometrial hyperplasia again (but no bleeding). My gyn ordered four shots of depro provera and after the second shot I began bleeding heavily. The bleeding hasn't stopped in two weeks and he's now ordered 10 days of estrogen to try to stop the bleeding. He says that my problem is functional and is benign and I don't need surgery for it. I went to another gyn for a second opinion and he suggests a hysterectomy since I have anemia from the blood loss. I am very tired of the bleeding and how it is affecting my life and exercise program and like the idea of getting rid of this uterus. But on the other hand I worry about it being major surgery and the long recovery period. I live in Costa Rica and am not up to date on all the terminology in English so this site has been a God send for me!!! Please....I need some advice and opinions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
endometrial hyperplasia

Hi bgincr

I am sorry you are having these problems and can understand your concerns. Did your doctor specify whether your endometrial hyperplasia was simple or complex, or with or without atypia? All hyperplasia requires close supervision, but treatment options may vary depending on your situation. A question for the GYN who did suggest hyst to you... would that suggestion still apply if anemia were not an issue?

Some of our members have posted about getting good results with Megace or other hormonal treatments for the hyperplasia. If you do a search here for "endometrial hyperplasia" you will find other posts about it.

Even though you have already had a second opinion, you might feel better about a decision if you continue your quest for knowledge. If you have one available, get the opinion of an oncology gynecologist, as they are the ones skilled at assessing the risk for cancer and any treatment that might be necessary.

Here's a link from our Resource Section that explains the grades and some treatment information for Endometrial Hyperplasia.

Good luck with your decisions. Please keep us posted on how you are doing, okay?

s,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register