Not a Gyn cancer but possible cancer and very Scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not a Gyn cancer but possible cancer and very Scared! Not a Gyn cancer but possible cancer and very Scared!

Unread 02-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Not a Gyn cancer but possible cancer and very Scared!

Hi everyone,

I figured this would be the place to come to seek support and see if any one else has been through this.

I haven't posted in a long while but I do check at least 3 times a week. Now I feel I should have posted a while ago.

As the story goes, I did everything I could to proactive and prevent myself from getting this dreaded disease that has affected so many and taken so many. Well, I guess what ever I did wasn't enough. (Preventative surgeries due to BRCA 1 and 2 positve). After feeling like crap for a long time and then thinking I had a kidney stone, my dr. did a lot of testing to see what could be the matter. He found that I have and enlarged liver, spleen, and high white blood counts. Fatigue, bruising, headaches and bloody noses.....I have had an IVP (normal) and tests for kidney stones but the only thing that came back abnormal was the white blood cells in the urine and NO infection. I have had that test repeated and just completed some more blood work ups. No infection, no stones and no abnormalities with the kidney. I am also scheduled for another ultra sound and CT scan Thursday.

I have done my checking and actually got my dr. to tell me what he is looking for. Well, I had already put 2 and 2 together and basically came up with what he was avoiding to tell me......Luekemia. Not the words I wanted to here but, at least it answers a lot of questions about how I was feeling and going through. It is not confirmed as of yet, but my dr is pretty sure it is.

Here comes the vent:

Here I am thinking I was going to be the first female in my family to make it past 56 years old, I basically gave up three years of my life for doing the right thing having preventative surgeries and now here I am. I know I tested positive for various other cancer mutations as in P53 and la fr.... but wasn't really concerned about them. I was concerned with BRCA. I really don't regret doing the surgeries but, I put off my family trying to make myself whole again and guess what, I can't get those days or weeks back. I did the surgeries to possibly gain the time no other female in my family has had. Fate really stinks. I haven't told my daughter or my son YET. Once things are confirmed we will have a long long talk. I don't know what this will do to my kids. Dads health *****, my health *****, I guess I should have listened way back when, when I was told not to have kids based on my weird health issues. I am crossing my fingers and praying real hard that it is not what we think and that it is just another way my body is telling me that I am weird in every sense of the word. It's not looking to good though.

Thanks for letting me vent. I just needed to get this stuff off my chest. I really don't feel comfortable venting this with hubby, he has enough of his own to deal with. Heck, I am the strong one taking care of everyone, what will happen now.

Thanks for reading,

Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2007, 11:28 AM

Sally, keep thinking positive thoughts. You are in my prayers. Emily
Unread 02-10-2007, 05:41 PM

What a terrible thing to go through. So sorry.

Will pray for a good outcome for you.

I just joined this board and am already venting my head off...lol

Juanita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Geez! Talk about enough is enough! Don't you hate it when things come at you out of left field? I'm so sorry you've had to endure what you have up to this point -- you have been very strong in your fight, and I know you'll continue to be as well. Feel free to come here to vent whenever you need to. You know you'll always find comfort and support here!

But, let's back things up a bit. You haven't been diagnosed yet, and this may very well be a false alarm. You said yourself that your system is "weird." Perhaps there is some benign reason for your symptoms. It could happen, right? Let's try to stay positive (though I know how hard that can be)!

Here's hoping everything turns out great! Stay strong -- you're not alone!!!

Hugs to you!
monami
Unread 02-11-2007, 10:25 AM

Sally, I'll be praying for a good outcome. Remember, most of the things that we worry about never come to pass so don't make yourself crazy with worry until you find out for sure. Do let us know what you find out. I hope it's something really simple that can be dealt with easily.
Unread 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the support Ladies,

I went to the gym yesterday and today and tried not to think about things. I only swam and did the steam room and hot tub. It helped a little. I wish I could fast forward to the results. I am going to continue to think positive and basically get on with my life and take my pain meds. I talked to my dr. as well. He was at the gym yesterday and told me that he would be attending my ultra sound and CT scan. Thursday will be an interesting day. I did get some enjoyment out of seeing him, I lapped him in the pool a few times. Thanks for letting me vent. I know I can come here anytime and get the support I need. You gals are the best. Thanks!!!!!!
Unread 02-11-2007, 07:39 PM

It sounds like you have a great doctor. That's wonderful.

I just had a TAH BSO due to a genetic mutation, HNPCC, Lynch Syndrome II. It can also cause colon (80%), kidney, ureter and bilary cancer. It's so hard when we try to do what we believe is the best for our health and then get thrown a curve ball. Until you find out the results, think positive and keep your chin up. We are all here for you. Take care and keep us informed.
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Sally,
This certainly stinks!

I had a couple of thoughts. Doesn't leukemia show up in blood tests? It seems that if it had been determined that you have leukemia then there wouldn't be any reason for an ultrasound or CT scan. I don't think that either of those show leukemia. Do they?

Yes, it certainly would stink if you did all you could to prevent breast and ovarian cancer only to get a completely different cancer. It's just not fair! But you don't know yet that you have leukemia, so try not to get too freaked out until you know.

As for not having kids, that's just stinkn' thinkin'. Even with the genes, your chances of getting those cancers were less than 20%. To not have children, based on a 20% chance of breast OR ovarian cancer, would have been foolish. That would have been a silly decision to have made. Having children is one of the greatest things we can do, who would make the decision not to do that, based on a 20% chance that you MIGHT have to battle a disease, and a MUCH smaller chance that you would die from the disease.

Try to get back your positive attitude. You don't know anything yet and the odds are good that you will be just fine.

Hang in there,
Hugs and comfort,
Janie
Unread 02-11-2007, 09:32 PM

ahhh Sally. s

I'm so sorry you have this worry. But as Ellen will undoubtedly say, "dont' waste a good panic". You haven't been diagnosed. it could be something else completely!

When will you get the results? I'm praying that it's some fluke and that you will be well soon.

in there,
xoxo
k9
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM

THinking positive thoughts for you ,waiting really stinks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register