Harry Potter re-read and other books | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Review It!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Harry Potter re-read and other books Harry Potter re-read and other books

Unread 02-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Harry Potter re-read and other books

My re-read is well underway - I've finished The Philosopher's Stone and am well into The Chamber of Secrets, which in spite of not being the best of the lot, has some of the funniest ideas, especially the Whomping Willow and the Mandrakes. My bag of beans is getting a lot of use at the moment, especially when I find good bits to read out to my DH. His face creases and he has the most infectious laugh - he always sets me off!

I'm also reading Brilliance of the Moon, another novel with 'crossover appeal,' set in a place which is possibly feudal, 16th century Japan. It's the third novel in the Otori series, which starts with Across the Nightingale Floor - I think they are absolutely gorgeous books, exquisitely written, total fantasy, and with no direct relevance to our world, which makes them perfect if you just want to escape into something outside yourself for a while. However, the emotions in them are very fresh and the relationships feel very real indeed - you can empathise totally with the characters, including some of the darker ones.

When I've finished that, I'm going to get my brain back up to full gear with a foray into Dickens. He's an author I know and love, and find extremely comforting and easy to read, but I've only read a couple of his doorsteps - Dombey and Son and Bleak House. I have David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickleby, Little Dorritt, Barnaby Rudge, Martin Chuzzlewit and Our Mutual Friend. Would any Dickens' readers out there like to help me decide which one I should pick up first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlington

When I've finished that, I'm going to get my brain back up to full gear with a foray into Dickens. He's an author I know and love, and find extremely comforting and easy to read, but I've only read a couple of his doorsteps - Dombey and Son and Bleak House. I have David Copperfield, Nicholas Nickleby, Little Dorritt, Barnaby Rudge, Martin Chuzzlewit and Our Mutual Friend. Would any Dickens' readers out there like to help me decide which one I should pick up first?
I'm not into Dicken's, but I were I a teacher I would give extra credit to anyone who did a book report comparing Philosopher's Stone to David Copperfield !
Unread 02-12-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Paroo
I'm not into Dicken's, but I were I a teacher I would give extra credit to anyone who did a book report comparing Philosopher's Stone to David Copperfield !
It would certainly be an interesting exercise. There's a literary term in the German language, for a book which is about a young person's journey out of childhood towards adulthood. I've spent part of today, trying to wrestle said term out of my sluggish brain, but can't remember it. Anyway, it applies to Harry Potter and David Copperfield, along with Great Expectations, Jane Eyre, The Catcher in the Rye, and To Kill a Mockingbird. Aside from that, there are some entertaining parallels between Harry and David - cruel, rejecting father figures, absent, saintly mothers, a protector, a close friend who is always getting into trouble (well, take your pick, they both have plenty!) assorted troublemakers (ditto.) It's almost enough to make me wish I had an essay to write and a teacher to send it to, because I'm sure it would be an enjoyable thing to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlington
It would certainly be an interesting exercise. There's a literary term in the German language, for a book which is about a young person's journey out of childhood towards adulthood. I've spent part of today, trying to wrestle said term out of my sluggish brain,.
Bildingsroman.

Sometimes I wish I had gone on to do my Ph.D in English Lit so I could become a professor and give such assignments, and have the joy of reading them.
Unread 02-13-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian Paroo
Bildingsroman.

Sometimes I wish I had gone on to do my Ph.D in English Lit so I could become a professor and give such assignments, and have the joy of reading them.
That's it! Thank you Marian. I'm not so sure about the assignments though, given the look of anguish on some of my professors' faces when confronted with my purple prose. Not so much when I did my literature degree, but when I was doing my international studies one back in the 1980s. I produced a lot of badly-written, naive, ill-thought out humbug. Those poor tutors!

Sharon
Unread 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM

i so like the Harry Potter series...i seem to re read the 5th and 6th books.

I still remember the controversy over them when they first came out..My darling husband bought them for my oldest child (the first 3 books) . My son and I fought over who would read them first. I also got the movies. I enjoy watching them...but nothing compares to the books.

My choices of reading are mostly historical romance novels, but lately I've been reading everything and anything I can get my hands on. I am reading Anne Rice The Vampire Armand. Very easy read.

Thank you for reading this. I just wanted to add my opinion to this forum.

AnnRuthie
Unread 02-13-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRuthie
i so like the Harry Potter series...i seem to re read the 5th and 6th books.

I still remember the controversy over them when they first came out..My darling husband bought them for my oldest child (the first 3 books) . My son and I fought over who would read them first. I also got the movies. I enjoy watching them...but nothing compares to the books.

My choices of reading are mostly historical romance novels, but lately I've been reading everything and anything I can get my hands on. I am reading Anne Rice The Vampire Armand. Very easy read.

Thank you for reading this. I just wanted to add my opinion to this forum.

AnnRuthie
I agree with you about the films. They are great, and I particularly enjoyed the Goblet of Fire. But it isn't the films that are keeping me out of the clutches of daytime TV while I'm recovering from surgery, it's the books. My local library has reserved me a copy of the GoF on CD and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow; the narrative, and Stephen Fry's voice will keep me company when I flag and have to retreat under my duvet for a while.

My usual reading - crime and thrillers, literary fiction, classics, fantasy, romances (especially Georgette Heyer) and fiction for children and teenagers. I particularly like Lian Hearn, Garth Nix and Philip Pullman - they take me right out of my own head into someone else's and when you are ill, that's not a bad thing at all. I'm sure I'd be having a much harder recovery period if I didn't read.
Unread 02-17-2007, 07:55 PM

Darlington--thank you for replying back. I remember the first couple of weeks after my surgery...and I too would read. I've never read Georgette Heyer. I like Beatrice Small, Rosemary Rogers, Valerie Sherwood, Thea Devine (just to name a few).

I finished Anne Rice. Wow, she can really write. I've read a few of her books now...thinking of getting some more of her books when I go to the library on Monday. I don't know if you are interested in reading her stuff, but "The Queen of the ****ed" was really awesome, I couldn't put the book down.

I hope you are doing well with your recovery.?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register