Update - adhesion surgery, colon cancer - But I'm back! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update - adhesion surgery, colon cancer - But I'm back! Update - adhesion surgery, colon cancer - But I'm back!

Unread 02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
Update - adhesion surgery, colon cancer - But I'm back!

Hi everyone!
It's been a while since I've been on the boards if any of you may remember me, if not, that's cool too. I had a hyst (after a bunch of abdominal surgery) at the age of 22, in 2004. I am now about to turn 25, on March 25th (my golden birthday!) and I think the last time I posted was when I had a huge adhesion removal surgery due to scar tissue blocking my intestines and my bladder attached to my colon, in June of 2006.
For an update, I ended up being diagnosed with Dukes B Colon Cancer, after a diagnostic colonoscopy in Oct of 2006. They caught it fairly early, and we're foregoing chemo for now, surgery probably in the near future. I actually had the scope because I was having symptoms similar to what I thought was a repeat of the adhesion thing - my doc smiled condescendingly and said he'd do it to put my mind at ease, but normally 24 year olds don't need colonoscopies.
However, with my history, I am very proactive about my health and demanded that he do it, and lo and behold, I was right. Good thing I did, right?
Beyond that, I moved in with my fiancee', Jose, and we're just doing great. I got my dream job (just started yesterday) with a great finance company, and life is just wonderful. I'm dealing with the cancer as best as I can. I still struggle with not being able to have children (for those of you who don't know me, I started down this road at age 18, so I was never given the chance to have kids).
But life has it's reasons, and I'm doing great. I'm so happy to be back on this board, as I am still undergoing pain management - due to my hyst and other abd. surgeries and procedures, and have other post-hyst issues, and above all, if I can help anyone else, my job here is done!
Looking forward to connecting with old friends and making new ones!
Love, Chris

Ya gotta have hope and faith!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2007, 07:38 AM

Wow, I am glad you are feeling ok but sorry you are dealing with colon cancer now! What a shock! You are one tough woman to battle all this at such a young age with such a positive attitude. I really don't know how you do it. I am personally having a terrible time dealing with everything.

About your symptoms...can you describe what they were that led to the colonoscopy? I know you said they were similar to the adhesion problems. I too am having lots of pain down there again (had my adhesion surgery last August and colon was attached to vaginal cuff). You know, extreme pain minutes before a bowel movement, constant pulling and cramping around pubic bone area, low back pain, stabbing pains in lower abdomen, bloating, unpredictable bowels (sometimes constipated, sometimes diarrhea, sometimes normal). I have been trying to ignore it or just live with it assuming it is adhesions again but hearing your story really wakes me up! Thanks for sharing!

I wish you the best with your new job and your fiance! Glad to hear from you again! I was wondering where you went!
Unread 02-26-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm so glad you insisted on the colonoscopy. I can't even imagine where you'd be if you hadn't followed your instincts. You have such an upbeat attitude. That will make a lot of difference with your treatment, positive attitude is healing!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2007, 07:30 AM

Hi there! Welcome back!

I remember you, and my birthday is on March 24, although I'm, ahem, a little "more experienced" than you are (in other words, I'm OLDER ).

I am sorry to hear you're still dealing with problems, but I'm very glad to hear you're acting as an advocate for your health and dealing with the problems as they happen. A colonoscopy isn't high on my list of favorite things to do -- (I had my first one last year at 46, still "young" for a woman) -- but you do what you have to when you're health is at stake.

to you. I'll see you around the boards.
Unread 02-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks, sisters!

Hi ladies!

Thanks for replying to my message! I remember you all too! Glad to see you're still here!

I may sound upbeat, but trust me, I melt down frequently. I have a pretty good support system, but I deal with clinical depression so believe me, sometimes I don't wanna get out of bed.

I don't even know where to start, but my biggest indication was PAIN - lower abdomnial pain and tailbone pain, mostly. And please remember, it is different for everyone. Mostly constipation, but sometimes the opposite, manually having to "have BMs if that makes any sense, I don't know how else to explain that, if you want me to describe it (TMI, I know, but i'm trying to help!) please PM me.
Pain with intercourse, vomiting/nausea when I ate, problems with/slow digestion, and bleeding from rectum.

I'm in pain management now because I'm trying to avoid surgery for a while. But I don't know how long that's going to work.
Thanks again ladies for all your concern and replies.
Love u sisters! There is NO ONE that can understand like a sister who is also going down the "road less traveled".
Love, CL
Unread 02-27-2007, 06:17 PM
hi

Hi Christinaleigh!
Man, do I remember you! I also had extensive adhesion surgery done last March, and the pain is back big time! I thought, when you "disappeared" that you were one of the lucky ones, the surgery worked great, and you went on with your life. I am SOOOO very sorry for all that you have to deal with now!
If I may ask, do you need more surgery to remove this cancer? What kind of pain management are you in? Are they helping you? Is it with drugs, therapy, whatever? Are they working with all your doctors? Sorry so many questions, for awhile last year I felt as if I knew you, and I really am sorry to see that you are having all these problems. I hate to say "welcome back", but you know what I mean!
Take Care, and Best of Luck!
Congrats on the job, that shows great character on your part!!!!
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Hi whatsnormal!
I remember you too! So good to hear from you, girl!!! Yes, they want to do an exploratory surgery to make sure they got it all - since the colonoscopy only shows the inside of your colon - and to remove some scar tissue and make sure it's not covering anything up. I"m in pain management right now. The pain is constant and everyday, but esp. in my colon area, lower abdomen, hips and knee joints, who knows why exactly? I'm currently on Percocet and Methadone, but I am following up with the doc 2 morrow and will tell him I flushed the Methadone down the toilet and never want to look at it or hear about it again - I did NOT respond well to it, and yes I tried it, but we have to come up with something else.
I actually had to go into treatment for my depression, which is why I disappeared. I did ok for a little while, but not for long. I'm much better now, mentally, and I know I will get better physically soon. me and my docs are doing the best we can!
Thanks for everything, and so glad we found each other again!
Love, CL
Unread 03-01-2007, 11:49 AM

Just wanted to quickly add that I'm going to my pain mgmt doc appt today in about 30 mins and I will post as soon as i can - maybe tomorrow - with a new thread on what happened. I'm also going to discuss if he thinks i should stay on the meds indefinately or if i should look into having surgery primarily to remove scar tissue, as in would that be a more permanent and logical choice than taking pain pills? Or would it just cause more problems?
I will update later, and start a new thread on my new "treatment" plan and the pros and cons of "living with" adhesion pain with meds VS. surgery -again! Take care!
CL
Unread 03-01-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaLeigh
or if i should look into having surgery primarily to remove scar tissue, as in would that be a more permanent and logical choice than taking pain pills? Or would it just cause more problems?
It's not an easy choice to make as more surgery can equal more adhesions. If you've been prone to them in the past and have developed scar tissue after previous surgeries, it may be more likely that surgery would have a band aid effect. Some doctors do not recommend surgery for adhesions unless the adhesions are attached to major organs. Some women do have surgery for adhesions and have no further problems, while others have surgery and it only makes matters worse. It is a decision best discussed with your doctor, than consider the pros and cons. www.adhesions.org has some very good info on adhesions.

Take care! I will look for your update after your appt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register